Signs you're getting old

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
well, as I embarassingly revealed in another post, I've started growing a hair on my chin :oops: (which I do pluck out - how glamorous). I'm only flaming 33!
Are you getting any signs that make you feel that you're getting on a bit? (please tell me I'm not alone). And, on a related theme, what other embarassing things can I expect in the years to come?

Comments

• Hair on my chin I can cope with - the fact that some of it is going grey does not make me happy!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Wait till it starts growing out of your ears and on your ears. Not to mention getting
    wild eyebrows and long nose hairs.

Dennis Noward
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    I realised that I no longer liked listening to the crap commercial radio spouts out and tuned into Radio 2 instead, then discovered 3, 4 and finally Colin Murray's show on Radio 1 (which you would think I would have known about having been to and really liked his gigs at Dundee Uni)

And I'm only bloody 25, 11 months and 2 days.
    eek.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Me balls 'ave dropped! :lol:
    I have pain!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I've started saying things that my Dad used to say..... like when someone moans that they are cold I tell them to "out a jumper on then".

I also despair at the youngsters at work who go out drinking on a week night :lol:

I'm 30 in 2 1/2 months! :(
  • You know you're gettin' old when the only time the bike sees the 11 cog is when you're taking the wheel out :)
  • tony_s
    tony_s Posts: 237
    Or you don't even have an 11 cog anymore, 'cos it'd never get used...
    You can\'t have everything.... Where would you put it?

couple o\'pics
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    you know you are really old when you can't remember the last time you felt really well and healthy .Everything seems to be packing up :roll:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When my hair is long, 3", you can clearly see that I'm more grey then blonde and I reach the grand old age of 36 far too soon.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Groucho Marx said once that he knew he was getting old because when he went to bed at night he hoped he would feel better in the morning, but never did.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...inside every old person is a young person...wondering what happened...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I've found a few mad eyebrow-hairs sprouting out in an alarmingly Healey-esque manner over the last few months and on Monday evening I struggled to set the DVD player.

I've already ordered the incontinence pants...
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    1. My knee hurts and I don't know why
    2. It takes me nearly 3 days to get over a bout of illness that only had me puking for about 7 hours
    3. I'm tired and go to bed now before 11pm
    4. Music in night clubs seems unreasonably loud
    5. People in the pub all seem to be too young to be served
    6. More of my bikes are sporting compact chain sets
    7. Fleecy cycling pants seem like a really attractive proposition about now

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...ooooh fleecy cycling tights...I must get some...do Tudor still make them?
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • When you go to the hospital/doctor and think, no way is that guy old enough to be working here.

Went with my dad about 2 years ago for his Colon Cancer post op check up - the Doctor looked like Harry Potter......
  • Oh and I just remembered:

1. My 8 year old commenting that my Golf Swing was a bit out then in!!! (I have been playing for 3 times as many years as he has been alive (but he is right)

2. My 9 year old challenging me to a swimming race - he got to choose the style....as I was feeling confident. he chose butterfly, went ahead and left me standing still as I can't even start it.

3. My 9 year old (again) chastising me for not being able to do the basics of computer animation or web page building (and I consider myself a whizz on the old confuser)

4. Last but not least, in a shopping Mall about 3 weeks ago with my kids (3 of them) my niece, my wife and my Mother - shop assistant talking to my Mum asked her if she would like to discuss the item with her Husband - ME!!! My wife (who is actually older than me) has just stopped laughing!
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    1. Grey Hairs (and not just on your head...)
    2. Aches and Pains from old injuries coming back to haunt you in the winter.

That said, I'm 44 and can still hold my own on a bike.

:D
  • you know you;re old when you find your first grey pube :(
    Preferably not in your kebab late on Friday night :lol:

Tell all your friends, I'm here all week the special on Friday is fish........
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    When you start forgetting to zip yourself up after going for a wee

Then

Forgetting to unzip yourself before going for a wee
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    On a recent visit to the vets with our 11 year old dog, the vet explained to me that despite his years the dog was still in good condition.The vet then said to my 7 year old daughter that if our dog was a human he would be nearly 77 years old and we should be very happy that he is so lively for his age,after smilng at me, my daughter said to the vet my dads old but still rides a bike. The vet looked at me and we both laughed,my daughter then said well you do still ride a bike dad, i said thats not what we are laughing at, bloody hell i am 44 and many people say i look much younger.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Grey Pubes
    groaning as you sit up or down
    Forgetting what it was you went for at the bottom of the stairs rather than the top.
    Ive a dream a titanium machine.
    Garlic MARMITE and milklesstea exponent.
  • popette
    you know you;re old when you find your first grey pube :(
    Preferably not in your kebab late on Friday night :lol:

Tell all your friends, I'm here all week the special on Friday is fish........

oh noooooooo. not that. thankfully no grey hair yet anywhere (nor chin)
  • popette
    Oh and I just remembered:

1. My 8 year old commenting that my Golf Swing was a bit out then in!!! (I have been playing for 3 times as many years as he has been alive (but he is right)

2. My 9 year old challenging me to a swimming race - he got to choose the style....as I was feeling confident. he chose butterfly, went ahead and left me standing still as I can't even start it.

3. My 9 year old (again) chastising me for not being able to do the basics of computer animation or web page building (and I consider myself a whizz on the old confuser)

4. Last but not least, in a shopping Mall about 3 weeks ago with my kids (3 of them) my niece, my wife and my Mother - shop assistant talking to my Mum asked her if she would like to discuss the item with her Husband - ME!!! My wife (who is actually older than me) has just stopped laughing!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Grey hair; my music taste has improved enormously; motorists tell me that I'd better be careful not to have a heart attack whenever I get angry at some dangerous maneouvre they've committed.

My reply is that as a regular cyclist I'm probably healthier than someone half my age, and in fact, they're the ones risking a heart attack - a sedentary activity like driving which is also extremely stressful (in London rush-hour)
  • popette wrote:
    well, as I embarassingly revealed in another post, I've started growing a hair on my chin :oops: (which I do pluck out - how glamorous). I'm only flaming 33!
    Are you getting any signs that make you feel that you're getting on a bit? (please tell me I'm not alone). And, on a related theme, what other embarassing things can I expect in the years to come?

Most of my hair is gone, that which remains is going grey. That's not a problem I just shave my head every couple of days.

Wife and kids say I'm turning into Victor Meldrew, I hate having people in the house, especially family. I can live with that, it's nice to get a bit of piece and quite now and then.

But what I can't cope with is the raging hangovers. I used to be able to stay out till 3 and then get out of bed at 8, off to work and start again once I got home. Now I want to go home at 10 and if I've drunk more than around 5 pints I'll be brain dead for most of the following day :(:(:(

I'm only 43, what happens once you hit 50! :shock:
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When you spend more time regretting what you didn't do than looking forward to what you will do.
  • Listening to talk radio and finding it interesting.

Kids thinking that music is original when most of it is 80s re-releases

Thinking that back pain is part of everyday life

Police and doctors look about 12 years old

You look at a station wagon car in a new light.

You can tell a good wine from a bad one

You look at saturated fat contents on food

Your 12 year old GP (see above) tuts when he takes your blood pressure

In the mirror you spot, by accident, a thick hair growing from your ear at a right angle to your head that wonder "how bloody long has that been there".

You think those Remington Nose trimmers are a good idea

You're fussy about what beer you drink

You wish you could grow your hair long like your college days but realise that now you'd probably just look like a Stringfellow eejit.
    Every winner has scars.
  • That said, I'm 44 and can still hold my own on a bike.

Yeah, you often have to hold your own when you're 44. No one else will hold it for you. Why the hell are you holding it when you're on your bike? Does it get cold? :lol:

It's the hangovers that do for me. Used to be able to drink like a fish all weekend and feel mildly bleary on a Monday morning. These days if I drink three pints I need two days in bed to recover.
  • You wish you could grow your hair long like your college days but realise that now you'd probably just look like a Stringfellow eejit.

I'm over 50 and have thick dark shoulder length hair like the Steve Coogan character Tommy Saxondale (eejit? - check). http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/saxondale/

...but all my friends are bald and/or grey - so I'm a smug eejit!
  • 1. A growing heap of prescription pills in the bathroom cabinet;
    2. Kids get louder every day;
    3. When at the urinal, two other blokes, one after the other, finish before you.
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.