looking for a super simple training plan (newbie)

benny2891
benny2891 Posts: 68
Hi all.

Apologies in advance for the long post. I figured a little background might help.

I'm just getting into cycling with a view to increase my fitness. Up until the past week or so, I've been averaging 50 miles a week (about) mostly commuting, with the occasional jaunt into the country side. I'd say I average around 12mph around town. I almost never have ridden much more than 15 miles at a single go.

I work from home, so I can be fairly flexible with when / where I ride.

I'm 5'11'' and weigh in at 'round 80KG. Quit smoking about 2 years ago.

I'm really enjoying cycling, and am looking to do some Audax / fast touring rides at some point. I am not the least bit interested in racing / anything competitive, but I am interested in improving my 'personal best' as it were. For some reason, It never bothers me when people pass me. As long as I get there in time, I'm happy.

Finally, my knees are weak. I can really feel it if I 'push' too hard on the pedals for too long. Hills are the biggest issue at the moment. I've got a triple, and on the steep stuff I can just barely manage on the lowest gear I have (30x26) creeping up at 5-6 mph. :oops:

So, I'm wondering what is the most sensible approach to preparing myself for longer distances at a reasonable pace ? I am starting from a relatively low fitness level, so am I better off slowly adding mileage to my rides, or increasing the intensity of my rides, or both?

Finally, I don't have a HRM, but I do have a simple cycle computer (and a turbo trainer). If at all possible, I'd like to keep the gadgetry to a minimum, as the budget is tight these days.

Any suggestions on how best to proceed ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Set out a training schedule to initially ride on alternate days as a maximum and gradually increase your time in the saddle. After a couple of weeks increase duration and number of rides. Make your shorter rides at a sharper pace and climb hills even if they hurt.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Congratulations on taking up a wonderful sport, Benny!
    benny2891 wrote:
    So, I'm wondering what is the most sensible approach to preparing myself for longer distances at a reasonable pace ? I am starting from a relatively low fitness level, so am I better off slowly adding mileage to my rides, or increasing the intensity of my rides, or both?
    Both. Gradually build up your mileage little by little as Mike says. If you're going for a high mileage, keep the pace comfortable, so that you could hold a conversation on the flat. On other days do a distance that you know you can do comfortably, but up the pace a little so that it feels 'brisk.' (That would be the kind of pace which would be just a smidgen too hard to hold a conversation on the flat.)
    Finally, I don't have a HRM, but I do have a simple cycle computer (and a turbo trainer). If at all possible, I'd like to keep the gadgetry to a minimum, as the budget is tight these days.
    A HRM really is a great tool for spending time wisely on a turbo, but if you can't run to getting one just at present then try to find the same slightly challenging, 'brisk' intensity on your turbo. Just too hard to hold a conversation, but an effort level you can hold without undue stress for say 20-30mins?

Ruth
  • Thanks for the replies.

I know the question was ultra basic, but up to this point in my life, all physical activity was done on a "as needed basis". My work was pretty physical, I'd cycle to work, to the shops etc, climb stairs rather than take the lift, etc. I've never really considered how hard I was working at something before.

I've poked around the forums, but most of the training stuff I see here seems to be oriented around competitive riding, so your comments are a welcome reinforcement that my instincts are correct.

I'd consider getting a HRM if I thought it would help me improve my fitness better or faster, but if self-perceiving effort is good enough to get the job done, I'd just as soon spend my money on something else, like proper shoes / pedals or the like and make my life a bit more comfy on the bike.

Probably the biggest issue coming up regarding my new training regime is the arrival of the first baby (due mid Dec. :shock: ). Making sure there is going to be time to keep fit will be the real challenge. I just keep telling myself (and Mrs. 2891) that improving my fitness now will have a long term impact on how much energy I can spend being a dad - kind of an investment towards a good future with my daughter.

-- But that is a discussion for another time.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I think Eddy M. said it best "ride lots". At least I think it was him.

Dennis Noward
  • Kinda reminds me of my old badminton coach...

"Hit it where he ain't !"