FAO: Avi

El Capitano
El Capitano Posts: 6,401
edited December 2007 in The Crudcatcher
I am not very happy with what's been done!

Comments

• El Capitano
    From what I can gather, one of the Admins banned him from UKMB.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Interesting! He didn't speak the truth did he, some forums hate that. I got banned from UKMTB for a day once lol.
  • El Capitano
    From what I can see, but I'm not on there late at night and lots of threads/posts got deleted, he was, for the most part, putting across some valid points about how that Forum should be run.
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I say we stamp out freedom of speech all together!
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • hastings
    hastings Posts: 206
    yeh but that equals communism and look where that got russia/the soviet union
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I'm not overly pleased.

In hindsight, I was probably being a big arrogant in assuming my advice was so important, but I did spend an awful long time (4 years?) trying to work out how best to moderate MBUK, and some other forums.
    I thought I was just responding to a general desire for input, advice and feedback on the forum, though I probably did lose track of the weekly change in what was acceptable. I did try to be always constructive, and suggest improvements rather than just say 'this is crap'.

Either way, I'm not going to bitch about it. If anyone wants me, they're probably aware I'm on here or they have me on email or MSN, and much as I'd very much like to be part of UKMB and see it become a very good forum, as long as they're banning people for suggesting improvements I'm not so sure I want to be there. Which is a shame, I really enjoyed it.
    Anyone I was helping with computery/linuxy things is welcome to email me. ialoneambest at google's mail service is most reliable at the minute - I keep breaking my mail servers. It's also my MSN username.

I do enjoy the irony in dog (for I presume it was he) banning me for criticizing the forum after his rants about how fascist this forum apparently was.

On the plus side, I'll be on here more now.
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    hmm, is the ukmb forum not going too well then? from those posts it seems not!
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Lets just say the way it seems to be heading i wouldnt be surprised to see more and more from there starting to slip back here.
  • El Capitano
    Yep, it's going pretty crap at the moment.
  • Yep, it's going pretty crap at the moment.

You seem to have lost your admin powers.
  • El Capitano
    I changed my profile. Being a Moderator or Admin isn't what I go onto Forums for. The novelty wore off very quickly.

I'll see how it goes just being a member, but TBH, much as it tries to be, it isn't the old MBUK Sandbox. Granted it's a lot closer than this one, but even so, it's just not the same...
  • Ahh fair enough, it's the closest thing we've got though. Nothing would be able to come close to what the old sandbox was.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I changed my profile. Being a Moderator or Admin isn't what I go onto Forums for. The novelty wore off very quickly.

I'll see how it goes just being a member, but TBH, much as it tries to be, it isn't the old MBUK Sandbox. Granted it's a lot closer than this one, but even so, it's just not the same...

which is why i hide my presence while on here and i used to hide it in your kingdom but some Admin decided that they would keep changing my profile.

nuff said.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • John
    John Posts: 2,499
    Stuart. Was there no way if you werent happy with things you could have come and spoke to us about it? Theres an entire section of the forum to sort issues out. Instead it feels like you would rather come on here and complain about the comunity that you helped to build...
    From what I can see, but I'm not on there late at night and lots of threads/posts got deleted, he was, for the most part, putting across some valid points about how that Forum should be run.

and as Admin you could see any posts that were deleted in the forums recycle bin.

Avi. We agree that a lot of your opinions were indeed valid. We also felt that the way you kept making new topics about existing topics that had been locked was inapropriate. We are new to running forums and are trying to get it to a place everyone wants it to be, we do not need the same points going over and over again, especially when there are some users with problems that we are trying to sort. Your basicly throwing fuel on a fire so to speak.

We are listening to peoples ideas but there are a lot of conflicting views that we need to sort and decide what to do with. Hopefully soon we will get it right and everyone will be happy, its entirely up to the users if they want to be part of it.

Nick. Ive not seen a topic, recieved a single PM or email about your problem so I have no idea what your on about.
  • Big Red S
    John wrote:
    Stuart. Was there no way if you werent happy with things you could have come and spoke to us about it?
    What, like I did?
    John wrote:
    Avi. We agree that a lot of your opinions were indeed valid. We also felt that the way you kept making new topics about existing topics that had been locked was inapropriate.
    And I felt that the way any topic raising any of the numerous issues with the forum was locked mid-discussion was incredibly inapropriate.
    What would you have rathered I did? PM one of the admins, so that no-one who was thinking the same thing got a chance to see the answer?.
    I only ever reopened conversations to answer questions that I felt had to be anwered. Like Haz asking why mods should bother telling people when they've done something wrong.
    We are new to running forums and are trying to get it to a place everyone wants it to be, we do not need the same points going over and over again, especially when there are some users with problems that we are trying to sort. Your basicly throwing fuel on a fire so to speak.
    Every time a topic was deleted, there was another one started to ask why. Did no-one wonder about just not deleting topics for a bit to see what happened?
    Every time anyone alliuded to the rules, someone asked where you'd hidden them.
    There are some pretty major issues on that forum that have been self evident for a long time. I really don't think you can blame me, or anyone else, for the fact that the admins don't seem to talk to each other. Certainly not about any of what the users are complaining about.
    I do like how a referral system was more important than anywhere explaining what was considered appropriate on the forum. But, like I say, it's clear that new members are more important to you than existing members.
    We are listening to peoples ideas but there are a lot of conflicting views that we need to sort and decide what to do with. Hopefully soon we will get it right and everyone will be happy, its entirely up to the users if they want to be part of it.
    Unless, of course, you ban them for dissenting.

Anyway, I'll stop now. I've been through the failings of the forum far too many times. It's got really great potential, but unfortunately you seem to want to keep that wrapped up for as long as possible. But thank you for what you've done thus far (well, until thurdsay evening). Some of it was done really rather well.
  • nicklouse
    John correct. as i never recived any info that my profile was being changed, So which of the Cooks should i contact?

But tbh i can not be arsed any more with most fora out there. As i do not have the time i used to.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • El Capitano
    John wrote:
    Stuart. Was there no way if you werent happy with things you could have come and spoke to us about it? Theres an entire section of the forum to sort issues out. Instead it feels like you would rather come on here and complain about the comunity that you helped to build...

and as Admin you could see any posts that were deleted in the forums recycle bin.

John, I'm not going to get into a long drawn out discussion about this. It's not the time and this is definately not the place.

Needless to say, I've felt for quite a while that the UKMB Forum isn't really suited to me, or my extremely warped sense of humour. Letting me lose with Admin powers on there probably wasn't a good idea.

The Filters - it was a bit of a gag, changing all the swear words that appeared in Mike's post to *Censored*, I thought was funny, especially as it changes words restrospectively. I didn't expect the uproar and chaos it caused. Once again, no-one saw the funny side. Sorry.
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    that sucks, was going to join ukmb, but wont if here is better!

the best was still the original forum; it was so controversial,a nd it really isnt on here.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • El Capitano
    Please do join UKMB if it's the anachy from the old MBUK Sandbox your after.
  • nicklouse
    i see they have been playing with the groups again.
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    LOL Jokes.

I might hang about here for a little while, I mean if the great El Capitano isn't over 'there' then why stay?

LOL

4UM Jokes.

In fact, this is hilarious.

Hahahaa, man, I love alcohol.
  • El Capitano
    Mike - for the record, I've not left UKMB, I'm just no longer moderating or administrating on there and that was my choice, no one else's.
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    I know I was on giggleboxes last night, fuck knows what possessed me to write that.
  • Mike - for the record, I've not left UKMB, I'm just no longer moderating or administrating on there and that was my choice, no one else's.

Snap.
  • Big Red S
    Isn't it your forum/server though?
  • mmm_pie
    mmm_pie Posts: 1,934
    Wow, this in an interesting topic. I haven't been on UKMB for ages since its now blocked here at good old school (but here isn't for some reason)

I wonder why nothing comes close to the old MBUK sandbox? I still find it such a shame it changed to this, trawling through the old forum seemed to make the hours I have to wait around alone at school dwindle away in no time....

:D aaaahhhh
    LOGO2.jpg
  • El Capitano
    The UKMB Sandbox is probably the closest to the old MBUK one, but it's still not the same.

Sorry Bikeradar chaps, but that's the way I see it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sorry Bikeradar chaps, but that's the way I see it.
    No probs :wink:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Correct me if I'm wrong Matt, but I have a feeling that Future would rather not have the anarchy of the old Sandbox on here anyway. Can't be good for advertising...