Kid opens door on me and then ruins my day

2»

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    The type of language used is wrong and its wrong for people to support its use but strangely enough you seem able to comment easily and freely enough to others about the use of this language but when you had a glaring opportunity to do something tangible and stop its immediate use within the 'family' you kept quiet. In your situation (and I have been in similar situations albeit not family) I'd have pulled them up for the language they used.

I agree to an extent on Oz - you should hear Oz radio, its irreverant most of the times and funny but it does go over the top on occassions with some of the language used. None of the people I know, to the best of my knowledge, have ever used that type of language in my presence, so perhaps its not as commonplace as you suspect.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Is it OK to call them "Scum"?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    The impact of the original post has been lost in this debate about terminology. Perhaps it would've been better if this debate had been started in a new thread.
    I have pain!
  • top_bhoy
    ivancarlos wrote:
    The impact of the original post has been lost in this debate about terminology. Perhaps it would've been better if this debate had been started in a new thread.

Sadly it has but this is Soapbox and this type of thing has to be expected. I still feel the OP has been hard done by. If those complaining (and they did have a point IMO), had simply flagged it as problematic, the topic could have been removed and the OP could have been given the chance to edit and amend his wording. Instead they have taken it way off course and as you say, the impact of the OP has been lost.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    ivancarlos wrote:

Sadly it has but this is Soapbox and this type of thing has to be expected. I still feel the OP has been hard done by. If those complaining (and they did have a point IMO), had simply flagged it as problematic, the topic could have been removed and the OP could have been given the chance to edit and amend his wording. Instead they have taken it way off course and as you say, the impact of the OP has been lost.

That's what I did, flagged it up and pointed out that it wasn't respectful to people to use these types of names. Totally agree that OP was hard done by and the perps were way out of order.
    Saddened that some people seem to think that this type of casual offensiveness is ok - especially when they also seem to think that it's ok to oppose ignorance with agression.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have always held to the rule that as you approach a car from behind you should
    never get closer alongside than a open car door width. I know this doesn't help you now
    but maybe in the future. It was more than likely unintentional and yes the so called
    mong(what does that mean? american you know) or idiot should have paid more attention.

Dennis Noward
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:
    jpembroke wrote:
    Didn't people in this country once describe stupid people as 'Irish'? I expect some people still do. So, let's replace the word in question with the word 'Irish' and see how long it lasts.

To paraphrase your post, 'let's keep the insulting language down, and the content up.' OK?

Replacing the word in question with the word 'Irish' would be perfectly valid and non-insulting - only if the boy and his mother were Irish. If they were non-Irish, the word 'Irish' would only be invalid. It surely isn't offensive to have ones nationality mis-described.

I'm sure the OP didn't intend to offend anyone but his message of lack of compassion and ignorance by others seems to have been lost in amongst the melodrama. Personally, to instill some sanity, I'd have replaced in the thread title with the word 'mongrel' and simply accepted his assertion he didn't mean to offend anyone.

Mong = mongoloid, not mongrel.

Something to do with down syndrome kids looking like Mongolians? I'm not sure.
  • top_bhoy
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    jpembroke wrote:
    Didn't people in this country once describe stupid people as 'Irish'? I expect some people still do. So, let's replace the word in question with the word 'Irish' and see how long it lasts.

To paraphrase your post, 'let's keep the insulting language down, and the content up.' OK?

Replacing the word in question with the word 'Irish' would be perfectly valid and non-insulting - only if the boy and his mother were Irish. If they were non-Irish, the word 'Irish' would only be invalid. It surely isn't offensive to have ones nationality mis-described.

I'm sure the OP didn't intend to offend anyone but his message of lack of compassion and ignorance by others seems to have been lost in amongst the melodrama. Personally, to instill some sanity, I'd have replaced in the thread title with the word 'mongrel' and simply accepted his assertion he didn't mean to offend anyone.

Mong = mongoloid, not mongrel.

Something to do with down syndrome kids looking like Mongolians? I'm not sure.

I know what the term is.
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    jpembroke wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood me. I was just trying to point out that it wasn't too long ago that people in Britain commonly used the term 'Irish' in much the same way that the word 'Mong' has been used here i.e. to imply stupidity. We wouldn't get away with that now, and rightly so, so why should we be able to use words that link people's stupidity with a disability?

However, I do accept that the OP probably didn't wish to offend anyone on here by his choice of words and I think this has probably go on long enough. So, in the style of Dragon's Den, I'm out!

(I can hear you all cheering from here)
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • Karty
    Karty Posts: 12
    hello lads ive been away for a while and ive read my orignal post and the replys and i think weve lost our way abit here, i was stating that as of last wednesday i had lost alot of faith in humanity but as the pain fades i can see i have not changed. i still cant see how this thread has gone from me being taken out by a...... ahh maybe best left unsaid to being the irish problem but thanks for the support though i do really appreciate it, and if any of you get hurt on my watch you will be in safe hands!
    I will be by friday be back on a bike.

Regards to you all Karty ( David)
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    When I was run over on the pavement (with my children, then aged 2 & 4), plod expressed sympathy for the "poor chap" (drug dealing scum) who ran us over! Don't expect plod, the courts or anyone else to keep you informed or to support you in any way. Get a good lawyer and raise a stink!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...a couple of years ago I fell off my bike in a busy town centre, I had slipped on some greasy cobbles, two people actually stepped over me and the rest just walked round. Not one person asked how I was or if I was hurt...

...the year before ,when I went over the handle bars, when my front wheel got stuck in a level crossing, a lady, and her 11 year old son, saved my life by stopping me bleeding to death until the paramedics arrived...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Karty,

So sorry you've been through all this and also felt like this community hasn't given you the support you felt you need when you unloaded your first post.

I am sure a lot of people will sympathise with what you have written, and some will make allowances for your language.

Personally I can only admire your tenacity, it seems like it will pay off. Good luck when you are back on the road, and if there is another accident, i hope you don't get so upset and worked up - it can't be good for the stress levels!

Take care,

SK
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Thought I'd come back and offer a suggestion relating to your OP (if you can believe that) because you deserve for this to get back on track. When I had my accident a couple of years ago I pursued a claim against the kid on the moped who knocked me off using the legal services provided by my Home Contents insurance. Very useful as I wasn't a member of CTC or similar so worth investigating if you are in the same position. Anyway, one of the things that I was asked to provide was a detailed drawing of the accident: junctions, position of cars, etc etc. Do this asap if you haven't done this already before details fade and wrirte a detailed description of events too.

I hope that helps and I sincerely hope you get a satisfactory conclusion to this episode.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Photographs of scene and marked up map useful too
  • Karty
    Karty Posts: 12
    yes thanks for the help, I work in an insurance brokers, we have solicitors on retainer for just this very thing and it wont cost me penny. If any of you suffer this misfortune please feel free to contact me as i do this for a living, it wont cost you either!

regards David (patron saint of the inappropriate)
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:

It is offensive and unnecessary to label the person "Irish" weather Irish in nationality or not used in the context of the OP. Likewise to call them black, Asian, Poles, Yanks, spa's, Mongs. Nationality, race or mental health should have nothing to do with the incident at hand.
    Every winner has scars.
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    HungryCol wrote:
    Top_Bhoy wrote:

It is offensive and unnecessary to label the person "Irish" weather Irish in nationality or not used in the context of the OP. Likewise to call them black, Asian, Poles, Yanks, spa's, Mongs. Nationality, race or mental health should have nothing to do with the incident at hand.

yes, we're aware of this, we've covered this, heck, i'm even having t shirts printed up so we can all have worn them.

can we drop it and move back to the origional "i got knocked off my bike and no one cared" part of the origional post please?

thankyou.
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Hey, side track again, just to point out that the use of 'irish' for stupid, is still in use by some people. As an Irish person (not stupid either, 1st class degree in Maths & Experimental Physics should cover that claim) I've had that term used in my presence to describe a mistake made by some one. Also, had 'friends' comment about my children being drunk as they were wobbling when learning to walk, and about bringing them to the pub etc, so very funny. So it's still going on, even in multi--cultural London by educated 'middle-class' people.