What are the best jobs for lots of free cycling time?

2»

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    MrT wrote:
    May sound silly as you want no stress, but ever thought about teaching. Riding to and from work is agood way to unwind plus 18-20 weeks holiday a year (paid). Plenty of opps to take in the Tour in the summer or some of pring Classics at Easter hols. Weekends free etc...all depends on your stress threshold :arrow: :x

18-20 weeks :shock: Do you teach in a private school? I thought it was more like 13. Plus unfortunately TDF only has the last week during the summer hols!

However, it is a good call.
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Yeah i'm afraid its Private sector..some may say it's a cop out..but we have taken a mini-bus load of kids to the tour in the past..and am looking at poss of setting up a summer club.
  • Fireman definatley. I work 3 days on 3 days off. I have a turbo in the station, so i commute to work and then hit the turbo if its quiet.
  • When I were a lad the best job for free time was the Dole. Although technically not a job but the absence of a job you cant fault the free time. Though the money is no good
  • Rock/pop star. You have all that time hanging about between gigs.
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    Many of my friends became fire fighters at is gave them 4 days on, 4 days off and during the 4 days on, the 2 nights were mainly spent in bed.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    pneumatic wrote:
    pedalpower wrote:
    Judging by this article I'd say "nighttime church custodian"
    http://www.miles4melanoma.com/hoffman.html

That's fantastic. Thank you for posting it.

"His bicycle helped him ride away from his problems. When he rode, he says, he felt normal."

eerily true of many of us, I suspect!

yeh, really enjoyed the article. Cycling definitely keeps me sane
  • Being a student is pretty cool for getting lots of biking time. The only problem is one day im gonna have a puncture or something, and have to go to college unshowered and all lycra-ed up :s
  • terongi wrote:
    You are all being a bit narrow minded thinking about existing careers here.

I think this calls for some job creation.

In WW2 in Paris during the blackouts, cafe owners hired out-of-work professional cyclists to pedal on bikes hooked up to generate electricity.

Imagine how we could cut carbon emissions, nowadays, if legions of cyclists on turbo trainers could power the national grid.

Work in shifts, time to train on the road for the rest of the day.

Who's coming down with me to Barclays for a start-up-loan?

Weird I had the same thought the other day apart from the fact I didn't know it had ever been attempted.

My grand Idea was to have every able 14-55yo exercise twice per day for an hour hooked up to generators. The fastest riders would get some tax benefits or something to motivate them.

I wonder how much electricity you could produce this way? (Easy calculation but I cant be bothered right now) Just an efficient generation method required.
    Genius!!!
  • Get a job at the OU. Pretend it is stressfull and making you ill. Take 3 months off on full pay, 3 months off on half pay then go back to work for two weeks, find the stress makes you ill, take three months off on full pay, 3 months on on half pay, go back to work for two weeks etc etc etc.
  • Dansc
    Dansc Posts: 4
    I work as a fitness instructor, alernating a week of earlies and a week of lates. Never work weekends.

Earlies 6:45 - 2:45

Lates 1:30 - 9:00 (8:00 Friday)

Loads of time to go riding :D