Testing training progress - to exhaustion or sub-max?

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
Puttting 2008 training plan together and would appreciate views on how to test progress, especially over next six months before season proper starts.

Specifically is it sensible/worthwhile to conduct tests to exhaustion (like MAP here
http://www.cyclecoach.com/pageID-articles-Power_Guidelines.htm where you measure progress through, hopefully, increasing your wattage)

Or is it better to conduct sub max tests (e.g. like the ramp test in Joe Friel Training Bible where you measure HR through 4 increasing (but not to maxium) level and measure progress by reduction of HR).
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• Are you using a power meter in training?

If so, then some form of maximal power testing will be required to set power training levels. That might be MAP test and/or a Time Trial (or two or more of different durations).

Use same test protocol each time to track performance but don't foget that you can have an off day and tests results need to be taken in context of the rest of your riding.

If not using a power meter, then for tracking performance improvement I'd suggest a solid and well sheltered hillclimb of at least 10 minutes - either measure distance for a fixed duration or duration for a fixed distance.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Have a Powertap + turbo.

Was planning to use these to measure MAP now and every fourth week (at end of recovery week).

My question is whether this will be of any use (I am hoping to see MAP go up if training is working) and/or if there will be any disadvantage in doing this.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Testing regularly is very helpful - not only can you gauge changes in fitness, see whether training is having the desired impact but also you can adjust your training zones to suit.

I think monthly testing is slight overkill (I can hear Ric laughing now 'cause I used to want them monthly) - every 6-8 weeks should be enough. If you are doing interval work, that will also be a good guide to how you are travelling.

When you schedule the testing is an interesting one, some don't perform so well right after recovery period, some go well - and it can vary depending on how much training you have in the legs.

The best thing with MAP tests is they are relatively short, although very intense at the end.