Are spinning classes recommended?

2»

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    chunkytfg wrote:
    Well i've bitten the bullit and booked a session in the sinning class at the gym i use although they call it 'Blazing saddles' instead if just spinning which is a little bit unnerving.

The lady i booked ti with told me that it's the one class she hasnt tired yet as she wasnt brave enough so i could be in for a rough ride i rekon!!

Oh well i'll see how it goes next week.

sinning classes eh//? sounds much more interesting than spinning :D:wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Are spin clases any good? You've got to be joking, right? No one in their right mind asks
    a question like this. It's about as stupid as asking "Is food any good for you?".

Dennis Noward
  • popette
    no, I wasn't joking - I'm new to cycling and have never done a spinning class before so wanted the opinions of those who had. Given that there was a range of responses, I don't think it was that idiotic a question.
    Are you joking or are you actually being offensive? :?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    popette wrote:
    no, I wasn't joking - I'm new to cycling and have never done a spinning class before so wanted the opinions of those who had. Given that there was a range of responses, I don't think it was that idiotic a question.

Am I being offensive? Maybe. It's like asking "Is execise any good for you?" "Are air
    and water any good for you?" "Do I need a bicycle to go bike riding?"

Dennis Noward
  • I go to the JJB gym in newport where they do spinning classes pretty much everyday. There are classes on a Monday and Tuesday at or after 6.30pm. The Tuesday class is run by a cyclist, so no press-ups on a bike! Membership is about £36 a month but you don't have to be a member for a whole year, I join in the winter then back outside when the clocks change.

I'm not sure what the timetable is but they run spin classes at Fitness First. You don't have to join to go, it is about £2.50 a session or something like that.

Hope that helps.

Hey speckybecky, I used to go to them before I moved to London. They are good, well recommended.

Where is Fitness First and the JJB gymn, never been to either. I could easily get to newport for 6-30 pm

Steve the JJB gym is on Maesglas ind est. I'm not sure about fitness first though.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • popette
    dennisn wrote:
    popette wrote:

Am I being offensive? Maybe. It's like asking "Is execise any good for you?" "Are air

Dennis Noward

Have I lost my mind? maybe :D it just doesn't seem that obvious to me. I wouldnt' go to a boxerobics class if I wanted to take up boxing. Oh well, I take it that you think that they're good then.
  • popette wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    popette wrote:

Dennis Noward

Have I lost my mind? maybe :D it just doesn't seem that obvious to me. I wouldnt' go to a boxerobics class if I wanted to take up boxing. Oh well, I take it that you think that they're good then.

I don't do them myself. Many other riders also don't do them but there are some that do.

All the things that you do in a spinning class can be done better on the road or at home on the rollers or turbo. The only difference is that in a spinning class there are others doing it with you which I guess is the fun bit, plus it's indoors and in the warm.

Take them or leave them I don't think it makes any difference.
  • dennisn wrote:
    Are spin clases any good? You've got to be joking, right? No one in their right mind asks
    a question like this. It's about as stupid as asking "Is food any good for you?".

Dennis Noward

Bit harsh that, Dennis. Logical conclusion from your comment is that you could road race after simply riding a bike in Z1 all day, which we all know isn't going to happen!

SPIN classes are good for off season training so long as you push yourself hard enough. The downsides are:

some classes do non cycling specific parts to the session

You're not in an ideal road/TT bike position

Some of the older bikes do not facilitate clipless pedals (certainly not Time RXE type anyway)

some of the benefits are:

group session means you are likely to be more motivated to go harder

far less boring than grinding away on a turbo in your cold damp garage

The view is considerably better than the latter also.

It's easier to stand on the pedals simulating hill climbs/sprints etc

Its not your prize possesion that you will snap if you fall off in a moment of frenzied anaerobic interval activity.

Fixed gear helps cadence and awarenes of the effect of trying to free wheel a fixie (which is safer than finding out on the road or track what heppens).
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    SteveR has just given the definitive answer. I like them and go when I can during the winter months. Definitely much more motivational than turbo training. Depending on the gym some of the newer bikes are quite adjustable. Some of the press up exercises seem a bit contrived but if you are mountainbiking you use your upper body and the biceps get sore on longer rides so maybe there is a bit of sense to them after all. I wear a tshirt style base layer, mits, spd shoes and bibless cycling shorts, take a towel and 750ml fluid.

Anyway, give it a go Poppette!
    I have pain!
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    dennisn wrote:
    popette wrote:

Dennis Noward

Here's another good question:-

Does trying to belittle somebody asking a question on an internet forum make you a petty, childish, spineless little man?

The answer is yes.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Garybee wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    popette wrote:

Dennis Noward

Here's another good question:-

Does trying to belittle somebody asking a question on an internet forum make you a petty, childish, spineless little man?

The answer is yes.

No it doesn't, it makes them look a twat :D
  • ivancarlos
    I went to spin tonight and really enjoyed it. It was an hour and a half long and I warmed up for about half an hour first, so a decent training session overall. Also met a guy from my club there and he is a good cyclist so it comes recommended.

Have you tried it yet Popette?
    I have pain!
  • Spinnig is not bad, but if you can get to a track or a velodrome (Manchester isn't far from you) then you'll really get a work out. I just did 90 mins and got within 4 BPM of my max HR on 4 occasions, I havent spent so much time in Z5 since riding the dragon in June!
  • popette
    Spinnig is not bad, but if you can get to a track or a velodrome (Manchester isn't far from you) then you'll really get a work out. I just did 90 mins and got within 4 BPM of my max HR on 4 occasions, I havent spent so much time in Z5 since riding the dragon in June!

Hiya, not tried yet as I've been going out in the dark up until now. My turbo is getting set up today so that'll keep me going for a bit. Now, cycling at the velodrome - that really does appeal. I've read that they do starters sessions but I haven't plucked up the courage to give it a try yet.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Do it :D
    It is much more fun than spinning and you will get the adrenalin flowing when you get up high on the banking :D
    It will also improve your riding skills and riding in groups technique also.
    It is also warmer than outside.
    The sessions are also always supervised by qualified coaches.
  • ivancarlos
    I would agree that velodrome is fantastic. About the closest thing to being on a rollercoaster which you can do on a bike. Unfortunately not very handy for me anyway. As far as spinning goes it is as hard a session as you make it because you are in control of the resistance.
    I have pain!
  • Well after reading this post I gave it a ago. It was interesting and hard work not to mention extremely warm in the studio in which it took place.

The guy asked if I rode a bike often to which I replied "a bit", not mentioning I did a 60 mile club run the day before.

He talked me through setting up the bike, which I had already done but I suppose thats an advantage of being a regular cyclist and then I was away. Warmed up for about 10 minutes playing with the resistance knob :shock: ooerrr. Then went onto the intervals.

Now I normally pedal at a higher cadence as it is how I am most comfortable, he was addement to have me pedalling at a cadence of around 80rpm on the simulated flat. I did generally ignore this and was at about 90 or 95 but that was my choice really. The intervals however were pretty well structured and consisted of seated climbing and standing climbing for set periods of time, then the instructor would yell out for you to sit back in the seat and increase the resistance. This goes on for about 3/4 of an hour and they work your heartrate to a good degree.

So by the end of it your legs do get a grilling, your covered in sweat and ur grabbing for the towel to try and mop up the sweat that is now all over the handle bars.

It is a real good workout which I would reccomend. So much so I booked straight away for next week. The reason I am going to continue going is that I cant stay on a turbo for longer than 10 minutes and I will go out riding whatever the weather this winter.... well thats the plan.