The Killer's dead?

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited October 2007 in Pro race
The man known as the Killer, Giro d'Italia winner Danilo Di Luca, cops a ban from CONI.
Equipe says 3 years, Gazetta says 3 months.

Is his career dead?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    CONI asked for 3 months so I guess that;s the accurate one.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
  • Kléber wrote:
    The man known as the Killer, Giro d'Italia winner Danilo Di Luca, cops a ban from CONI.
    Equipe says 3 years, Gazetta says 3 months.

Is his career dead?

...depends on whether you read Equipe or Gazetta!
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    of particular interest from cycling weekly:

"The three-month suspension will also affect Di Luca long-term future. Liquigas have refused to renew his contract for 2008 and he has only had limited offers from LPR and Lampre."
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Hopefully Cadel Evans will get enough points on Saturday to overtake Di Luca in the ProTour

PS - "Killer" my @rse. I can't imagine walking through some sink estate at 3am thinking - "I wish I had Danilo here with me. He'd sort them out."
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    So, if Dr Ferrari ever got convicted of being involved in doping, any Italian cyclists who work with him could cop a ban?

That's 2 at least on Liquigas alone....
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    One by one, the legends of Italian cycling are being taken down. Bettini won't sign anti-doping contracts, Basso was outed as a lying blood doper, many others have been exposed. Today it's Di Luca's turn to have his reputation questioned.

The Liar would be a better name.
  • iainf72
    Titanium wrote:
    Bettini won't sign anti-doping contracts

I should hope a bright fellow like yourself would've also refused to sign that piece of garbage.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I just hope his naughtiness was confined to years previous to 2007, otherwise, what do we make of Shrek the Younger climbing side by side with him & Gibo in the Giro?

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    calvjones wrote:
    I just hope his naughtiness was confined to years previous to 2007, otherwise, what do we make of Shrek the Younger climbing side by side with him & Gibo in the Giro?

That largely depends on if you take the CSC system seriously. If you do, it's impossible for him to have done what DDL did and he's clean.

And it was DDL and Gibo who had the wee like 10 year old boys, wasn't it? Not Andy.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Just look at Andy Schleck standing next to Di Luca and the question that comes to mind is more like "How the hell can Di Luca beat that stick on a climb?".
  • Another Grand Tour, another winner with no credibility.

I still think this policy is working and weeding out the cheats though.
  • iainf72
    Another Grand Tour, another winner with no credibility.

Ahhh, but he's not being punished for being a cheat, is he? Merely for having links to a doctor.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    calvjones wrote:

Shouldnt that be alleged naughtiness ? His crime here is guilty by association , he has not to my knowledge actually failed a drug test.

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    fingers crossed that Evans can score enough points to take the pro tour jersey off The Liar. Definitely a good message to send to the doper-you'll get your wins removed. Am tempted to say Evans is clean as he's got no jump and can only follow wheels and has been around all season racing..no breaks. I hope the UCI removes pro tour points from this di luca fellow-he's another absolute disgrace to cycling this season
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Moray Gub wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Shouldnt that be alleged naughtiness ? His crime here is guilty by association , he has not to my knowledge actually failed a drug test.

cheers
    MG

Yep, MG you are correct in principle.

Strava is not Zen.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Dave_1 wrote:
    fingers crossed that Evans can score enough points to take the pro tour jersey off The Liar. Definitely a good message to send to the doper-you'll get your wins removed. Am tempted to say Evans is clean as he's got no jump and can only follow wheels and has been around all season racing..no breaks. I hope the UCI removes pro tour points from this di luca fellow-he's another absolute disgrace to cycling this season

There are an awful lot of assumptions being made re: Di Luca's supposed drug use. As far i can see he has fallen foul of a Coni regulation regarding association with dodgy docs, that doesnt mean definate drug use.

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dave_1 wrote:

Bloodyell .Hope you never get selected for jury service.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Dave_1 wrote:

Moreni had no jump and could just about follow wheels in the pack and he doped. Lack of ability (relative to superstars in Evans' case) does not necessarily mean a rider is clean. Everyone "knows" Di Luca is dirty, but until he is convicted of doping by a fair procedure you cannot punish him.

If every rider was suspended for associating with a dodgy doctor, then half the peloton would be gone, including such forum darlings as Cancellara, Rogers and Dekker.

I for one want the ProTour jersey to be won by Di Luca to completely discredit it. Its a pile of crap competition that has no actual value. Bring back the old World Cup jersey, remove mickey mouse competitons and let the GT riders do their own thing.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Whatever Di Luca is on seems to only work one season out of two. That must be one funky substance! Whatever the interpretation of this ruling, Di Luca can not be disqualified from the Pro Tour this year for an offense committed years ago. If the conclusions of this investigation were going to affect all his subsequent results, it was up to the authorities to ensure that he not compete. It's all well and dandy to be anti-doping hardliners in front of our computer screens, but we have to be fair as well.
  • iainf72
    Timoid. wrote:
    If every rider was suspended for associating with a dodgy doctor, then half the peloton would be gone, including such forum darlings as Cancellara, Rogers and Dekker.

The Italians are enforcing their rules - None of the other dodgy doctors have been convicted of doping offences so they're free to work with them.

And Millar could've been added to your list at the start of his comeback.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Another Grand Tour, another winner with no credibility.

Ahhh, but he's not being punished for being a cheat, is he? Merely for having links to a doctor.
    To save the sport the powers that be are going down this 'guilty by association' route.

I don't think any of us think for one minute that he has never taken a performance enhancing drug in career.
  • iainf72
    To save the sport the powers that be are going down this 'guilty by association' route.
    [/quote]

To what extent though? Cecchini and Ferrari have not been guilty of any doping crimes but we all suspect what they're up too. Should we ban anyone who associates with them afterall they're not guilty of anything themselves?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    iainf72 wrote:
    To what extent though? Cecchini and Ferrari have not been guilty of any doping crimes but we all suspect what they're up too. Should we ban anyone who associates with them afterall they're not guilty of anything themselves?
    Ferrari was convicted of supplying doping products to athletes but has, thanks to the wonders of the Italian legal system, successfully appealed against this conviction. I'm not sure if the prosecutor has decided to appeal against the appeal though.
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    Ferrari was convicted of supplying doping products to athletes but has, thanks to the wonders of the Italian legal system, successfully appealed against this conviction. I'm not sure if the prosecutor has decided to appeal against the appeal though.

Yes, true, but in legal terms he's not guilty of anything.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yes, true, but in legal terms he's not guilty of anything.
    Let off on a technicality it seems (that sounds familiar no?) due to the statute of limitations.

More here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Ferrari

Which is a fine example of why people mistrust Wikipedia as a reference source. This entry has been written by a Lance fan-boy.
  • iainf72
    I'm curious about the relationship between Eddy Merckx and the good doctor. Especially as he introduced Lance to him.

Should I change my avatar to be the picture on the wiki page?
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Di Luca excluded from the Pro-Tour

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Di_ ... 50350.html
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    Eccellente.

And the UCI applying its rules to ban a rider? Times are a changin'