Motivation needed!!

sithebike
sithebike Posts: 213
For the last 3 months I have been struggling with motivation to get out on my bike.
I cant really work out why. When I do go out I enjoy it but I just dont seem to be able to muster up the motivation to get out every saturday morning.
I only have time to ride at the weekends.
In the earlier part of the year I was averaging about 350 miles a month.. in september I did 60 :cry:
Help!! please

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Have a break. It sounds to me like you've been riding consistently for a few months at least and mentally you are tired of it. By having a break, and don't set a time limit on it, you'll soon find yourself itching to get out again.

It works for me. I force myself to have a break every November and find myself rareing to go again after a few weeks off.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    agree with andyp. A little time off will do more good than harm.IT's ment to be fun,not a chore.When you start back set challenges for yourself.For example after you've ridden 350 or 400 miles promise yourself some new kit,i.e. gloves, pedals. Nothing too expensive,just a treat to spur you on a bit.You could try a different sport,see if this brings back your enthusiasm for two wheels, a little cross-training will keep your fitness ticking over.
  • Motivation needed!!

Get out on yer bike you lazy bastard!!!!

You're welcome.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • sithebike
    Thanks for the advice. I have been really frustrated about it. Maybe I should just put the bike in the shed for a few weeks and go out again when I wake up really wanting to go out for a ride.
    What are your thoughts on joining a club.. I ride on my own at the moment and feel that this could be causing me to loose motivation as I have no one to push me on.
  • sithebike
    Motivation needed!!

You're welcome.

Thanks.. I'll go now :shock:
  • Motivation needed!!

You're welcome.

Thanks.. I'll go now :shock:

That's the spirit :wink:

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Have you thought about commuting by bike ...... I changed jobs because of too much work not enough 'life'... now commute to work - about 8 miles each way, back to my ideal weight, fitness back at my old racing level (might think about racing again) and I'm not running off every evening to try and train...as it's been done just getting to.from work. Lot's more time available, much fitter, less stress ?
  • sithebike
    I would love to commute by bike but my round trip is 82 miles a day!!
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    I would love to commute by bike but my round trip is 82 miles a day!!

so what's the problem :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • I would love to commute by bike but my round trip is 82 miles a day!!

Mine is 81. Why not find a place where you can park up, and ride partway? Maybe a pub carpark, and come to some arrangement with the landlord and offer to pay for parking there - he/she would probably keep an eye on it for you to during the day.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Riding for ridings sake can be OK I guess but I find what gets me motivated is finding a cycling challenge of some sort and training for that.

Over time this has evolved from climbing the steepest local hill without getting off, to riding 100 miles, to doing the TDF and Raids

Right now I am looking forward to 2008 and planning what to do then, which will help me get out during winter.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    would definetly recommend having a break and probably doing some cross training. I ride road bikes, mountain bikes, commute by bike every day, run and swim and during the winter snowboard for a few weeks. I find that the enthusiasm for everything ebbs and flows. I'm really into riding at the minute, but a few months ago it was running with only long cycle rides every other week.

I can't imagine putting all my focus on one activity all the time, i'd get bored. Try and find something else your interested in and the motivation between the 2 will probably balance out.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    What are your thoughts on joining a club.
    For me, it's been the best thing I ever did (cycling wise) - the miles just drift by when you're out on a club run chatting with others and it becomes much less of a "gotta do 60 miles today" chore. Also, other club riders may spur you on to try things you would not normally even think about having a go at, be that racing, cyclocross or sportives.

That said, it may take you a few goes to find a club that is right for you - some can be very cliquey. Have a look on British Cycling's website to find a list of local clubs, then contact them and find out how you go about joining their club run. Try a few different clubs maybe if that is practical before taking the plunge with one.

It's not unusual to hit a low point at this time of year with the weather changing and the evenings drawing in and I quite often get the Autumn doldrums. Not a bad time to take a break from the bike, maybe do some other excercise to keep you ticking over until the bug returns.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I agree with Bronzie wholeheartedly - join a club. It's sociable and fun to mix with other cyclists and you'll find getting out for a ride with others who become your friends over time is a real pleasure. Very few clubs are full of racing types, the vast majority of club cyclists just like getting out, riding, keeping fit and having a good chin-wag. Don't hesitate, GiantSCR2.0!

Whereabouts are you based? Folks on here might be able to recommend some good local clubs..........

Ruth
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Bronzie wrote:
    For me, it's been the best thing I ever did (cycling wise) - the miles just drift by when you're out on a club run chatting with others and it becomes much less of a "gotta do 60 miles today" chore. Also, other club riders may spur you on to try things you would not normally even think about having a go at, be that racing, cyclocross or sportives.
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    agree with Bronzie wholeheartedly - join a club. It's sociable and fun to mix with other cyclists and you'll find getting out for a ride with others who become your friends over time is a real pleasure. Very few clubs are full of racing types, the vast majority of club cyclists just like getting out, riding, keeping fit and having a good chin-wag. Don't hesitate, GiantSCR2.0!

Wise words, I agree 100% with both Bronzie and BeaconRuth. Where do you live ? Use http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/clu/cluClubFinder.asp to find clubs near to you.
  • sithebike
    I live near taunton, somerset