How do I increase my CV performance?

messier0101
messier0101 Posts: 166
Basically for a health test I need to reach a certain level on bleep test (with weights on) and do CPR straight after without my HRM reaching 90%

How do I got about doing this...... my main cardio is of course cycling.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    LCFC85 wrote:
    You don't say what sort of riding you do (long miles at steady pace or racing?) - but for a bleep test you will need to do some runnning intervals / Fartlek training. Cycling will give you a good base fitness, but to sucessfully complete a beep test you'll be better off doing running in training.

As a large part of a high beep test score is being able to turn quickly at either end of the 20m track, you will benefit from practicing doing simulated beep tests - I think you may be able to download the "beep levels" as an MP3 soundtrack to play on your iPod.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    LCFC85 wrote:
    You don't say what sort of riding you do (long miles at steady pace or racing?) - but for a bleep test you will need to do some runnning intervals / Fartlek training. Cycling will give you a good base fitness, but to sucessfully complete a beep test you'll be better off doing running in training.

As a large part of a high beep test score is being able to turn quickly at either end of the 20m track, you will benefit from practicing doing simulated beep tests - I think you may be able to download the "beep levels" as an MP3 soundtrack to play on your iPod.

Take up basketball...
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • Bronzie
    Take up basketball...
    Who? Me or the OP? :wink:
  • Bronzie wrote:
    Take up basketball...
    Who? Me or the OP? :wink:

Everyone!

uh... yeah, the OP. sorry :oops:

Ric
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • Bronzie
    uh... yeah, the OP. sorry :oops:
    phew!.....................thought you were being critical of my sound training advice for a moment there! :wink:
  • thanks for the replies, and no thanks to the basketball lol.

here is an outline of the fitness test:

Grip Strength
    You are required to squeeze a grip meter which records measurements. This test is performed up to 3 times for each hand. You will be expected to reach a score of 40-35 (men) and 40-32 (women) in dominant hand and 38-33 (men) and 38-30 (women) in the subordinate hand over the three tests. The test is in place to measure how strong the hand and arm muscles are and can be likened to use of a nut cracker.

Leg and Back Pull
    This test measures the strength in your leg and back muscles.
    You will be asked to pull against resistance in a standing position. The measurement will be recorded and should reach 150kg (men) and 140kg (women).

Sit and Reach
    This is like touching your toes. The test is performed sitting on the floor and reaching towards a measurement board. You will be expected to reach 30cm beyond your toes.

Aerobic Stop Test
    This is performed in two phases.
    Phase one involves a warm up test whilst your heart is being monitored. You will be stepping on and off a 30cm step in 3 incremental two minute stages, increasing the rate of stepping as you progress. Your heart rate will be recorded at the end of each two-minute interval.

The test will end if you are unable to complete any stage or if your heart rises above 80% of the predicted maximum value.

As well as the above EPS, candidates will be expected to complete the following after a two-minute rest period, there is no rest period between the following tests:

1. Stepping whilst carrying a 10kg weight (mock first response kit) for two minutes on the 30cm step.
    2. Resuscitation (heart compressions only) for two minutes.
    3. Stepping whilst carrying two 15kg weights (just less than half the weight of the average human by stretcher) for 3 minutes on the 15cm and 30cm steps.

The rest will end if you are unable to complete any stage, or if your heart rises above 90% of the predicted maximum value.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    LCFC85 wrote:
    Sit and Reach
    This is like touching your toes. The test is performed sitting on the floor and reaching towards a measurement board. You will be expected to reach 30cm beyond your toes.

I cant reach 30cm in front of my toes! :oops:
    Mañana
  • I don't know what you're testing for, but what a bizarre test for the aerobic part...

they stop the test if you go above 80 or 90% above predicted HRmax... the only problem is that predicted HRmax has SEM of +/- 15 b/min... which completely invalidates any testing.

Ric

LCFC85 wrote:
    thanks for the replies, and no thanks to the basketball lol.

here is an outline of the fitness test:

Grip Strength
    You are required to squeeze a grip meter which records measurements. This test is performed up to 3 times for each hand. You will be expected to reach a score of 40-35 (men) and 40-32 (women) in dominant hand and 38-33 (men) and 38-30 (women) in the subordinate hand over the three tests. The test is in place to measure how strong the hand and arm muscles are and can be likened to use of a nut cracker.

Leg and Back Pull
    This test measures the strength in your leg and back muscles.
    You will be asked to pull against resistance in a standing position. The measurement will be recorded and should reach 150kg (men) and 140kg (women).

Sit and Reach

Aerobic Stop Test
    This is performed in two phases.
    Phase one involves a warm up test whilst your heart is being monitored. You will be stepping on and off a 30cm step in 3 incremental two minute stages, increasing the rate of stepping as you progress. Your heart rate will be recorded at the end of each two-minute interval.

The test will end if you are unable to complete any stage or if your heart rises above 80% of the predicted maximum value.

As well as the above EPS, candidates will be expected to complete the following after a two-minute rest period, there is no rest period between the following tests:

1. Stepping whilst carrying a 10kg weight (mock first response kit) for two minutes on the 30cm step.
    2. Resuscitation (heart compressions only) for two minutes.
    3. Stepping whilst carrying two 15kg weights (just less than half the weight of the average human by stretcher) for 3 minutes on the 15cm and 30cm steps.

The rest will end if you are unable to complete any stage, or if your heart rises above 90% of the predicted maximum value.
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • Bronzie
    When you said bleep test, I thought you were referring to this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test

As your test is nothing like this, you can safely ignore any of the advice I offered above!

Seems to me that if you are reasonably fit from cycling, you should be OK on the test. If you want to make sure, you better get a heart rate monitor (if you don't have one) and try doing a practice test on your own to see what your heart rate does. If you don't already know it, find out what your maximum heart rate is - as Ric says, it the actual value can vary quite a bit from the "220 - your age" predicted value.
  • Well it's kind of a beep test, it's an entrance exam to get into uni...one uni had the normal bleep test, which I passed, but the uni I'm going to has outlined the test above.

At what HR% should I work at to help improve the CV system? i.e. will allow me to reduce my HR overall.

p.s. I do have a HR monitor from my running days (not so long ago) Polar RS200, excellent bit of kit, and lucky doesn't interfere with the cateye wireless computer 8)
  • Bronzie
    LCFC85 wrote:
    At what HR% should I work at to help improve the CV system? i.e. will allow me to reduce my HR overall.

Assuming you already have a good cardiovascular base from cycling, I'd suggest you need to do some interval training in your anaerobic zone (80-90% MHR) as this test will stress you to 90% MHR (assuming you are only just fit enough to pass it).

Try replicating the stepping on a box 2 minute intervals getting progressively quicker and see how you get on.
  • Thanks for your help mate. Much appreciated.

I'm planning to do HIIT, 20sec sprint 10 sec rest and repeat.