North London / Herts trails?

chrisp
chrisp Posts: 187
edited August 2009 in MTB rides
Can anyone recommend places to ride (offroad ....XC trails) around North London? Not expecting Coed Y Brenin, just somewhere to keep my legs turning over during the winter evenings now I'm spending a lot of time in that area.

Specifically, I'm looking for places as close as possible to Enfield.

Haven't found anything of interest in Trent Park, but I've actually found some quite entertaining little trails in what I think is called Hillyfields Park (near Forty Hall) - enough there for an hours nocturnal blast after work and even during the weekends there aren't that many people in the way by local standards.

Anyway, can anyone recommend good places in the area?

I actually live in Essex, but my girlfriend lives in Enfield and I'm spending more time over there than in Chelmsford now. One thought that occured is that Epping Forest is pretty much in between the two - might be worth checking out :D

I'm a downhiller trapped in a trail rider's pain threshold

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    i'd suggest epping but it can get muddy during the winter and suggest you go early as it gets busy with walkers.

Also would suggest broxbourne woods, just up the A10 from Enfield, get yourself an OS map and plan a route there have a pootle around the woods and then ride home
  • Em and I lived in Enfield before we moved to Greece, and often used to go out around Forty Hall and Whitewebbs for an evening blast. As you say, there's and hour or two's amusement there, but not enough for a proper weekend ride.

Epping Forest sounds ideal. Have a look at Epping Forest Epics if you want some company.

(The best trails in Epping are difficult to find without a local guide, most people that go there on their own just end up stuck on the bridleways).

Alaric.
  • I posted a route up yesterday which starts in Shenley and then heads around St Albans and then back again, about 36miles, most of which is off road. 550 metres of elevation with about the same for the descent. Not quite the alps but a good route all the same, I'd be happy to e-mail you the GPX file if you have a GPS device!!

Cheers

Ulysse
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Carbonboy

Do you have a map of the route ?

Currently living in Hatfield (At Uni), getting bored of riding Chicksands.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • No Map as such but usually get out most weekends, it's a good training route. Whilst there isn't much climbing (Hertfordshire isn't best known for it), the distance makes up for it!! I probably won't be around this weekend but if you want to tag along next weekend let me know!!
  • Sir HC wrote:
    Carbonboy

Do you have a map of the route ?

Currently living in Hatfield (At Uni), getting bored of riding Chicksands.

Hatfield its a bit poo for trails, there has to be something in Hatfield woods, but getting access to it is a bit difficult. The area is FC and private estate (Hatfield house).

I'm a bit stuck for trails until I get the rack built then its off to Chicksands.

BTW I'm Hatfield based too till the end of the year. Just trying to get my self back into biking and give up smoking.
  • Looks like I'll be heading out for a ride on the 20th if anyone wants to follow the route I posted.
  • If you are in Hatfield,take a look here:http://www.ottmountainbike.co.uk/2.html

I'm not a member,but have used some of the routes.Ideal for evening rides of 2 hours or so.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    go to marshalls cycles wgc.they have a club xc thing
  • There are also regular rides from Rock and Road in Victoria Street,St Albans.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • ROCK AND ROAD BIKES St Albans WEDNESDAYS 7pm
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    have you tried aston hill - its near aylesbury. its free to ride there at the mo http://www.astonhill.com/
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I wanted to reply 'cos this is my 'hood.

There's absolutely loads of riding in the Broxbourne Woods area, including a lot of very good singletrack - and it's never very busy.

I'm often out on the weekends, if you want showing round.
  • Jedi
    i have ridden broxbourne and all surrounding areas for 15yrs!
  • Chaka Ping
    Jedi wrote:
    i have ridden broxbourne and all surrounding areas for 15yrs!

I was offering the original poster, if he's new to the area. I'm sure all in Herts know how good the riding is out there.

We've probably crossed paths in the past, you must have been there before "the pit" off White Stubbs Lane was turned into a golf club?

Having moved back from London last year I'm surprised how many bikers I see out now, probably more than walkers. Used to have the whole woods to myself it seemed.
  • What are broxbourne woods like in the wet/winter?
  • Jedi
    true. we used to drop in the old quarry
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Carbonboy wrote:
    I posted a route up yesterday which starts in Shenley and then heads around St Albans and then back again, about 36miles, most of which is off road. 550 metres of elevation with about the same for the descent. Not quite the alps but a good route all the same, I'd be happy to e-mail you the GPX file if you have a GPS device!!

Cheers

Ulysse

Could you send the GPX route file to greg dot driver at btinternet dot com? I'm visiting the outlaws at the weekend and I could do this route as they live near Aldernham. Anyone fancy joining me?
  • Chaka Ping
    Carbonboy wrote:
    What are broxbourne woods like in the wet/winter?

They're ok in the wet. Mostly under tree cover so never really a quagmire, just a bit slippy here and there.
  • chrisp
    Bit of a thread revival here, but I've just rediscovered this topic!

Had a bit of a look round Bencroft Wood (sort of part of Broxbourne Woods) and it certainly looks promising. Not many people round and it seemed quite bike friendly - none of the usual 'conveniently' fallen trees over the trails etc.

• I was over there last week and it was good fun ( a few boggy places that are exposed, but mostly firm and sheltered). Does anybody on here go over there regularly (ish)? If so, fancy hooking up? I could do with learning a few new skills!!
    Was thinking perhaps Sun 31/8? Mind you going to Les Gets next week, so hopefully will still be in one piece!!
    Let me know
    Lee
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Epping has some good single track and so fast Down sections
    Yes can get muddy was there today and still pritty dry But the
    horses do churn it up.

Have not been but Worley woods near Brentwood ski slope is
    ment to be good too.

What about Aston Hill.
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    If anyone fancies a show around Thorndon country park + all the other little woods around there, I'm over most Sundays drop me a mail (rikk @ golum . co . uk) or pm.
  • Ferenc
    Ferenc Posts: 118
    lee.nuts
    Lee I only just come across your offer to ride. Was it in Broxbourne Woods. I would like to meet up and be shown the place. It would be great! Let me know. I also go out to Epping from time to time and have got to know the place a bit. Best to go there during the week when people are at work but its still a great place to ride.
    Yes I would like to hook up with anyone in the Enfield/ Broxbourne/ Cheshunt area. Just got into MTBiking. Had my bike for 3 months so far. Broken it twice since (not sure what I am getting for £700 bike though?) but will be fixed by the weekend....
  • I'm in Goffs Oak.

Where exactly is broxbourne woods. Where do you start off, is there a loop.
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2008
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    MBR recently did a Killer Loop at Wendover, where there are some short sharp climbs and some fantastic singletrack descents. The Ridgeway starting from Ivinghoe Beacon and heading off towards Oxford is also full of fantastic riding.
  • Smiler15
    Smiler15 Posts: 129
    Carbonboy wrote:
    What are broxbourne woods like in the wet/winter?

Wet! it gets churned up quite alot, but there are some tracks that drain and keep there condition abit better than others, suggest mud tires though!
  • chrisp
    Had to time to ride over the winter after a change of jobs, but I've been back to Broxbourne a couple of times over the past week and just remembered how good it is.

I am severely out of shape now, but if anyone still fancies meeting up for a ride at some point (or for that matter has any trail suggestions) drop me a PM. :)

• sorry to dig up the dead but seems a lot of guys in the borxbourne area like myself.

give me a PM and we can pass around some routes.ect

there quite a good route in hoddesdon area south/east of goose green.

pm me andhow id love to know some more stuff around this area
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Smiler15
    Smiler15 Posts: 129
    Anyone done the short board "walk" blast at broxbourne woods? It starts just of the road on the edge of the wood (they're all pine trees). It winds a bit then drops downwards over roots and through more boarded sections, pretty technical and good fun. Even more so when the walkers stick branches in the way :)