On bike food

Crag Rat
Crag Rat Posts: 16
Apart from energy bars, what food do people take out on the bike with them? I struggle to eat some energy bars as most taste pretty crap. I've started making my own fruit flapjack, only problem is Mrs Crag Rat eats most of it in between rides. I ride 3-4 times a week so buying energy bars is pretty expensive, so I'm after a tasty cheaper alternative.

Comments

• Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Malt loaf and a couple of bananas for me - cheap and effective. For a longer ride (>60 miles) I'll take 3 or 4 supermarket own brand cereal bars as well. I'm using Asda Nutrigrain-ripoff at the moment, can't remember what they're called but blatently an own brand version of the Kellog's ones! Not very healthy gernerally as they are full of sugar, but that's good on a ride. They also have much less fat than the proper ones, are loads cheaper and taste alright as well.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    as above and also jam sarnies cut into pieces, pocket full of raisens. Take 2 bottles of energy drink on long rides as well. Usually High 5 or Powerbar equivalent.
  • Dont forget ham rolls - all that sugary sweet stuff gets on your t*ts after a while...
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Dont forget ham rolls - all that sugary sweet stuff gets on your t*ts after a while...
    What are you - a messy eater?
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Dont forget ham rolls - all that sugary sweet stuff gets on your t*ts after a while...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • BeaconRuth wrote:

Ho Ho! unfortunate analogy perhaps. I am usually very careful to avoid dribbling whilst riding.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    For gods sake don't eat a gel while you have a really runny nose!!!! :shock:
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Try dried bananas (if you can get them) and Aldi’s ‘Fitness’ bars, much cheaper than Powerbars and tastier too, even if not so effective in a race.
    Someone mentions malt loaf – I imagine that’s ideal too.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I take Eat Natural bars - 65p each in Sainsburys.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Bananas and fig rolls for me.

Ruth
  • Thanks, think I'll try and get Aldis fitness bars. I'll also take some malt loaf and a couple of ham rolls. Off out around the Dales tomorrow so should be a good test.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Weirdest thing I ever heard anyone use as race fuel was "Cheesy Wotsits" - a friend tells a story of this guy who used to be in our club who crashed in a road race - on helping him up off the tarmac he was surrounded by crushed Cheesy Wotsits in a "snow angel" sort of effect. :shock:

When questioned as to why he used them his reply was "Because they are light".

Still raises a smile 15 years on. :lol:
  • A couple of Jelly Babies before every climb.

No physiological benefits that I can tell of, but it's a great excuse to eat Jelly Babies.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • Going to take one ham roll, a few slices of malt loaf, a couple of pieces of homemade flapjack and a handful of jelly babies. That should get me round, we've got a 65mile 7,600ft of climbing route planned, with an option of an extra 9 miles and another 1,000ft of climbing. So it should be a good test, once again thanks for all the information.
  • Always take some money on a long hilly ride, so you can always buy your way out of trouble if it arises..sounds about right tho food wise. What are you taking to drink?
  • I took two bottles of PSP22. Cracking ride and the ham roll at the top of Gallowgate was very nice. Also the Magnum ice cream at Horton went down well :lol: