Tour of Pembrokeshire 2008 sportive

2»

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I am doing the long run and will be easily recognisable, see me on my new bike in photobucket :D
    I am doing this as training for Marmotte.
    Anyone looking for fastish ride ? 17+mph av? Hopefully :D
    Would be good to ride in a group of more than 1 unlike last sportibve I did CGF :D
    See you either Sat or Sun morning Steve.
  • rhys_gibby
    rhys_gibby Posts: 45
    Nice rig there oldwelshman! I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm number 259. Purple Trek, black shorts, b+w jersey with procycling printed on it, b+w Met helmet.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • They are recommending that those doing the long run start before 9am, I'll be
    looking to get away anytime between 7/7.30.

We're staying in Saundersfoot and making a "weekend" of it, so it's travelling time from
    there.

Old Welshman.... you have a fine steed there, look after her. My number's 69, so
    shout as your passing, but not with your 'mouth full........' :lol::lol::lol:

'Sleeping with Seattle'
  • rhys_gibby
    rhys_gibby Posts: 45
    Same here, hoping to leave around 7 - 7:30. Well it's a good start to the weekend, a lovely evening here in Pembs right now.
  • You shold have been in wild Manorbier...think we got back to to the tent at 12-30 ish (sorry Dai if we woke you uip, but then you got your revenge at 6-30 this morning!)

Fantastic day for it, even though we decided not to ride the route, at least in the right direction anyway - some fantastic roads/views heading west along the coast road stoping at every caf for a espresso :D That had to be one of the most enjoyable bike rides for a long long time.
  • globetrotter
    globetrotter Posts: 503
    Why? Whats it say?

Well, of the 6 riders that went out to reccy the route for the magazine, only 4 completed and I think a few short cuts were made too.

I'll probably be down Fishguard next month to check some of it out. The magazine recommends a compact chainset, which I can't afford at the moment so I've recently swapped my 12-23 for a 13-25. I'm aiming to do the 64 miles in 4 hours, but the training isn't going too good at the moment and I'm, struggling to get the miles in.

4 hours 20 minutes exactly!! Silver !!:lol: And I'm so glad that last week I decided to fit a 27 sproket as I needed it quite a few times. Had a great day, but really suffered in the heat over the second half of the route from Newlgale.

I'll be back next year to better my time, not sure I fancy having a go at the long route yet as 8 hours + in the saddle just doesn't appeal to me.

Greg
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Managed the long route in about 7hr45 I think. Have to wait for the results to appear as not sure if I managed Silver as not sure how long we were at feed stops.

Anyone get any pics? Got a link to the photographer who was taking shots near the start?

Great route though wasn't it?
  • woodknot
    woodknot Posts: 21
    Good route, good marshalling, feed stations well stocked.
    Good first aid support (those ambulances must have put a few miles drifting around)
    Good weather and a good ride for me as I finished something I didn't expect to. 116 miles in 7hr 15min. (I have to say this is ride time as I couldn't find my time listed at the end so I'll have to add on 30 min's for the stops.)
    Well done to all involved.
    Only problem was I didn't come across any groups to get into so ended up doing it on my lonesome like a few others I came across.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • An excellent event, well marshalled, well organised, superb views, good feed stations
    and a B*****d of a route, a great day out. The last 10 mls from Tenby were purgatory,
    totally cooked by then, the climb out of Freshwater East finished me off. 8hrs
    without the stops.

I'm going to put myself up to be shot at here..... I think it was harder than the Dragon
    Ride.

And the £5 massage at the end, money very well spent.

'Driving Miss Daisy Crazy'
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Have to second the sentiments on the massage - never had one before and actually paid £10 as I thought it was such good value and I feel very good today - hardly any soreness. As a local I may be a bit biased but I have to agree that the organisation was fantastic.

Hope to be fit enough for the long route next year!
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • oldwelshman
    Here is the link for results.

http://www.theresults.co.uk/theresults/Results/2007/cycling/080608_pemrokeshire_cyclosportif.pdf

Great weekend.
    I arrived Saturday and went for a ride and did a bit further than expected 60 miles :D
    Nice fish and chips in Tenby.
    Off to pub to meet Steve, then back to my tent to replace my wheels and brake pads as my back wheel was playing up !!!
    Great campsite in Manorbier, unfortunately some rowdy cyclists came back late and were pissed and woke me up. 60 acre field and they pitched next to me !! :D
    I got up at 6am, weetabix for brekkie, packed tent, then woke Steve to get revenge !!

Off to the ride, sun shining. On the start line I was looking for some riders for a group ride and did not recognise anyone other than Richard from Cwmbran so headed off with him unfortunately :D
    I knew I would not complete ride with him but managed to stay with him ( he was taking it easy) until half way up the big climb then I never saw him again.
    So I ended up riding the next 100 miles more or less alone. Did a bit with DUncan off here but he dissapeared by just after Pembroke bridge?
    My computer said 6:41 but official time 6:51 probably due to the time spent going in to the timing mats and topping up water.

Stunning route ( could have been very risky in the rain though) very well organised and signposted and marshalled.
    It was nice to get encouragement from the marshalls and also several of the families driving round supporting riders.
    I think there was a sign nicked at one T junction, but I heard a voice from above say "turn right" .
    I looked around, no one to be seen, then I heard it again "turn right" I though it was a message from god, but then noticed a lady in a caraven on her drive seemed to have become an unoficial marshal, good job or I would have ended up lost !!

Massage at the end for £5 was excellent.
    Out of the 116 miles, I reckon only 7 were flat, and that was towards Freshwater West into a nightmare headwind.
    A lot of the descents were a bit risky but the hazardous bends were all very well signposted warning riders to slow, the only problem was after all the climbing it's nice to gain back some time on descents, but a lot of these were slow winding descents with blind bends so hard to gain time back , that's my excuse for slow time :D

At the end I looked like a lobster !!!! Still better than being soaked like the CGF.

Congrats to all those who finished, especially the ones who toiled in after 11 hours !! Respect.
  • heavymental
    Full results are now out, and pics are up on the sportysnaps site. Results and link on the bikeradar news section.

I finished after 8.44 riding time so got bronze. Was hoping for Silver as my actual riding time was 7.44 according to my speedo but I certainly needed those breaks so thats fine by me!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I didn't start :oops: :oops: :oops:

Unexpected family commitments meant a 430 mile drive on Saturday and not getting home till midnight, so there was no way I was going to set the alarm for 6am next morning. Very disappointed as I was looking forward to it and the weather was great.

Well done to all who rode, the event looks like a roaring success.
  • heavymental
    Ah Joe, I wondered if you'd made it as there was no Joe on the results sheet. Thats hard luck as it was a great day. There was plenty of chat about running it next year so hopefully you'll get another crack at it.
  • Congratulations to all who took part in the ToP - the event photographer, Martin, from http://www.sportysnaps.com/ - has kindly supplied some pics which we've added tothis item. Also well done and thanks to organisers and marshals - great job. It looks like the Tour of Pembrokeshire will become a regular part of the sportive calendar :D so hope to see you there next year.

Based on your experience this year, would you do a 2009 edition?
  • oldwelshman
    Wow £9 for a picture is a bit steep, even £7 for a digital file.
    I think I will take my camera and take pics on the next sportive, should pay for all my rides for the year !!
  • Yes, I'll echo that, i do feel that £9 is a bit steep, But this is the first ride where I
    actually get to see my pictures.

OldWelshman..... sorry about the rather disjointed conversation re tyres, just before
    the start. Just suffering a from a serious senior moment, I'd just never heard the phrase
    "Chillies" used before. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Good Luck with La Marmotte.

'Sleazy Rider'