Tour of Pembrokeshire 2008 sportive

http://tourofpembrokeshire.co.uk/

Wondered if people had seen this. I quite fancy a crack at the 105k version (there's a 200k too) as my first sportive having started to get back into cycling properly in recent months. Find doing 40-50 miles 'easy' enough so cranking it up to 62 and a bit shouldn't be too bad. What sort of pace do these things go at? And what's the terrain like round there? Looks beautiful but sounds pretty hilly!

Anyone here likely to be signing up?

[/url]

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I will probably sign up for the 200k ride. If it haS 3500M climbing it must be hilly :D
    It will be very picturesque and probably some steep hills but I havent been down that neck of the woods for a while but I am sure othere here can say for definate.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    This is my neck of the woods. There are no big hills on that route but plenty of short sharp bits, especially around the coastal sections. The rest is rolling as things aren't flat around here.

Edit....the longer route is more hilly as it takes you up onto the Preselis which has a fairly big climb involved. There are also a fair few fairly strength sapping climbs along that route. They're all fairly short though but its not an easy ride....although I'm used to routes <50 miles so I'm sure you long distance types will find it ok. If its a nice day that will be a really nice route though. Some lovely scenery and locations. For those of you who do the longer route you'll come straight past my front door so I may head out and see you on the road. Enjoy!
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Looks like a great route.
  • A really good course preview of this event is in the February issue of Cycling Plus which popped through the letterbox this morning. I'm looking forward to riding the shorter of the two routes on offer next June, hopefully along with a friend who's flying over from California and a couple of my clubmates from the Gosforth Road Club.

Oddly, a thread about this event that was posted by the organizer over at http://www.cyclosport.org was moved from the UK Sportives section to the Cyclo-touring section, while an earlier one that I started myself seems to have disappeared entirely sometime in the last few months. Another victim of the politics within the sport? Sad if true. I await clarification from the Cyclosport editor but, as a neutral, I can't see any grounds by which this isn't a sportif.

8)
    "It\'s curtains for Karpets!" - David Duffield
  • I'm doing to 200 :shock: going to use a compact too me thinks
    People ask me what I'm on. I'm on my bike 6 hours a day busting my arse. That's what I'm on.

— Lance Armstrong

• enetered the 200k ages ago, it looks a good one, there's some good climbs :D
  • I've entered the shorter distance. I take my bike down that way quite often as my missis is from Pembs. Lots of short steep climbs, although I'm not too familiar with some of the route. I hope to go and check it out before hand. Living on the North Wales coast I'm used to climbing and strong winds coming off the sea. Am really looking forward to it.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I've entered the 64 mile event. I regularly ride the section that is on the longer route but I don't fancy it as part of a 116 mile slog, it will be incredably tough and it is a long time since I went over 100 miles.

Fingers crossed for good weather.
  • heavymental
    I've entered the 116m route as its on alot of my local rides so thought I'd go for the big one. Actually a bit worried now as I've realised its 40 miles longer than I've ever been before. I'll be riding with some mates and hopefully taking it easy and stopping at home for some lunch on the way past! Some of those climbs will be painful though!
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Anybody have any idea how difficulty will compare to the longer Dragon Ride? Am undecided between longer and shorter - which probably means the latter is the better idea!

Strava is not Zen.
  • I've entered the shorter distance. I take my bike down that way quite often as my missis is from Pembs. Lots of short steep climbs, although I'm not too familiar with some of the route. I hope to go and check it out before hand. Living on the North Wales coast I'm used to climbing and strong winds coming off the sea. Am really looking forward to it.

I read the review in Cycling Plus, not sure how much I'm looking forward to it now.

:?
  • heavymental
    Why? Whats it say?
  • Smokin Joe
    Can you upgrade nearer the time?

There's still a few months to go and I have been increasing my mileage recently so I might have a crack at the longer one if I feel up to it.
  • Why? Whats it say?

Well, of the 6 riders that went out to reccy the route for the magazine, only 4 completed and I think a few short cuts were made too.

I'll probably be down Fishguard next month to check some of it out. The magazine recommends a compact chainset, which I can't afford at the moment so I've recently swapped my 12-23 for a 13-25. I'm aiming to do the 64 miles in 4 hours, but the training isn't going too good at the moment and I'm, struggling to get the miles in.
  • I have signed up for the 64m route as i have only just got back into cycling. Really looking forward to it as well. Unfortunately i havent been able to convince any of my friends to do it with me so i might be alone :-(

Stuart
  • I'm considering doing this and not local so would probably not know anyone either. My girlfriend is from Pembrokeshire and it would be a great way to see the area. Would like to do the 200 but I've not ridden much at all lately
  • its 3 months away, plenty of time to get strong enough for the 200k! Heck Im doing a 25 2 up TT next weekend after 3 weeks off the bike and about 2 hours "training" and thats a proper race... :wink:

I'll be doing the T o Pembroke with a mate - look out for a cardiff 100 miles RCC hanging on by a thread to the back wheel of a ross on wye & district CC rider and wave sypmathetically. See you there :D
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    My folks are retiring "back" to Wales (although originally from nearer Cardiff), and have conveniently just bought a house near Cardigan.

So, this seems too good an opportunity to miss: I'm going to enter. The 200km* route looks a toughie, but I could do with a decent UK sportive to do after a glut last year, and otherwise having only one other planned for this year (Amstel Gold in April).

I'll be there (in my Manchester Wheelers jersey) desperately trying to make friends with people who can drag me up the climbs!

Tom

*It's advertised at 116 miles - isn't that c186km? Not that 14km will make much difference with that much climbing in one's legs...!
  • globetrotter
    globetrotter Posts: 503
    I'm heading down to Pembs for the weekend and planning to do about 50 miles of the route tomorrow from Johnston down to Tenby, up to Folly Farm and back up to A40. If anyone is around and would like to join me?
  • windywesty
    windywesty Posts: 1
    I rode a fair bit of the Pembs Sportive a couple of days ago, and have to say it is a fantastic ride. The variety of scenery is superb, from high open hills/moors, to beautiful wooded valleys to wide open sandy beaches to small senic coves.

Would really reccommend it.
  • globetrotter
    globetrotter Posts: 503
    I'm heading down to Pembs for the weekend and planning to do about 50 miles of the route tomorrow from Johnston down to Tenby, up to Folly Farm and back up to A40. If anyone is around and would like to join me?

:shock:

What a route, you certainly need to be good on hills for this one. Had constant head wind form Jonston down to Tenby. The views are fantastic, have to say, but what a killer. lots of steep climbs, definately one for the powerful. Managed on the 39x21/23 for most of them, but on one section which is only on the 64mile route I was grovelling in 39X25. Contemplating on getting a 27 for the event or perhaps just doing more work on my power output over the next 2 - 3 weeks. I'm normally a good climber, usually on teh front of group rides when the road goes up, and hanging off the back when the going gets fast.

See you all in a few weeks.
    :D
  • oldwelshman
    Steve, I have now registered for this ride as it is week before the dragon so with the cgf, pembroke and dragon and couple of stage races I think it will be good prep for the Marmotte and Pinarello fondo for me.I will pitch my little tent in campsite in tenby and ride to Folly farm.
    I will ride round this one with you as I am not looking for a time, just miles 8) and I want to take some pics so I can take some of you on the climbs also 8)
  • Smokin Joe
    Steve, I have now registered for this ride as it is week before the dragon so with the cgf, pembroke and dragon and couple of stage races I think it will be good prep for the Marmotte and Pinarello fondo for me.I will pitch my little tent in campsite in tenby and ride to Folly farm.
    I will ride round this one with you as I am not looking for a time, just miles 8) and I want to take some pics so I can take some of you on the climbs also 8)
    Keep your camera away from me on the climbs, sonny. It won't be a pretty sight. :(
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    Hi David - me and my mate are also camping, not sure which site yet will let you know. He's a lot faster then me so you might not have time to stop and take pics :wink:

Am not riding the CGF now as I did such a poor time last sunday in the welsh 25 i have to ride the oggies 25 on the same day, especially as I've blagged a lend of a cervelo TT bike.
  • oldwelshman
    Theres loads of sites around, some nice ones just outside Tenby. If weather nice I will go down on the Saturday and do a nice steady ride then if your interested. May do track on the friday also.
    Are you and your mate riding together or is he leaving you ? :D
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    Theres loads of sites around, some nice ones just outside Tenby. If weather nice I will go down on the Saturday and do a nice steady ride then if your interested. May do track on the friday also.
    Are you and your mate riding together or is he leaving you ? :D

He can try :wink:
  • rhys_gibby
    rhys_gibby Posts: 45
    So, who's in for the long or the not so long route?

I'm in for the long, it's going to be brutal.
  • Just had a look at Metcheck and the Weather looks good for this Sundays event. :D

All those taking part, look foward to seeing you on the route. My trusty steed will
    be a Red & Blue Eddy Mercyx (Motorola Colours)...... ah the nostalgia. No club
    colours, just the Assos out of mothballs. :roll: :lol::lol:

Good luck to all those taking part.

'Jurassic Poke'
  • I am charging up with at least 8 pints guinnes on sat night in manorbier. Long route here we come, or maybe not see how it pans out...... :D