Hill Climb

nolf
nolf Posts: 1,287
Got a hill climb this sunday,
Anyone recomend any last minute training? :)

It's the one up in York for anyone else who's going.
"I hold it true, what'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost;
Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson

Comments

• I was intending to do one up Carlton Bank (edge of NY Moors) but didn't realise the forms had to be in 2 weeks prior :cry: Mind you, I go up it enough anyway.

No training tips, but good luck. By the way what Hill is it? It's a bit flat around York!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • nolf
    The climb is at Bishops Wilton near York (don't ask me where that is) and I'm going to go with a few fellow students- hopefully the hangover from the previous nights party will be gone by the time we get there :D

Alfred Tennyson
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    nolf wrote:
    The climb is at Bishops Wilton near York (don't ask me where that is) and I'm going to go with a few fellow students- hopefully the hangover from the previous nights party will be gone by the time we get there :D
    Last minute tip - don't party the night before.

Ruth
  • Ah, I think i've been through there (once!) but can't remember the climb i'm afraid. But if you haven't cycled up this way before i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • cj504
    cj504 Posts: 110
    man really don't go with a hangover! i used that last winter as a good hill and its a ****** to say the least. it starts steep, levels off a touch and then rises again through the trees, and then the end is around the top corner, good fun i guess....

if it helps, if its with the clifton guys they seemed pretty decent when i went out with them
    Thresholds, 60-80%, HRM's...I'll just go for a ride
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    nolf wrote:
    Last minute tip - don't party the night before.

Ruth

Never hurt Malcolm Elliot! (apparently).

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Never hurt Malcolm Elliot! (apparently).
    :D

But does Nolf have the same class as Elliot? :wink:
  • nolf
    It is a clifton CC hill climb, but I'm going to turn up with the York Uni cycle club.

I'm not going to get wasted the night before :) mainly because It's a 7:30am wakeup call for me as I'm leaving at 9am :shock:

Alfred Tennyson
  • kenbaxter
    kenbaxter Posts: 1,251
    Last minute training - too late! You won't get fitter in less than a week and you won't lose it either. Remember that hard training takes time to recover. Couple of easy rides to keep loose and go into it well rested and well hydrated.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    nolf wrote:
    It is a clifton CC hill climb, but I'm going to turn up with the York Uni cycle club.

The York UniCycle Club! You're going hillclimbing on a one-wheeler? Chapeau Sir... :wink:
  • nolf
    Yeah i've "Carbo-loading" (stuffing my face all day) for the past few days.
    Spent 5 hours today going up every hill in the area before I go off to Uni- so Caerphilly mountain twice, Bwlch, Rhigos, Hill up to pentyrch twice- 1 time racing it.

Wasn't really as practice was more I wanted to do these before i leave :) But 2 of those hills look similar to the Time trial hill, so mentally should help.

Will last minute Guiness help?

Alfred Tennyson
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Ah, I think i've been through there (once!) but can't remember the climb i'm afraid. But if you haven't cycled up this way before i'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    Details here - it looks like a nice event.
  • I was intending to do one up Carlton Bank (edge of NY Moors) but didn't realise the forms had to be in 2 weeks prior :cry: Mind you, I go up it enough anyway.

No training tips, but good luck. By the way what Hill is it? It's a bit flat around York!

I am doing this one. There is a decent field of around 50. It's the 2nd HC I have entered this season with a filed of around 50 or more. Popularity must be on the up.

Not done Carlton Bank before so should be good fun.
  • celbianchi wrote:
    I was intending to do one up Carlton Bank (edge of NY Moors) but didn't realise the forms had to be in 2 weeks prior :cry: Mind you, I go up it enough anyway.

I am doing this one. There is a decent field of around 50. It's the 2nd HC I have entered this season with a filed of around 50 or more. Popularity must be on the up.

Not done Carlton Bank before so should be good fun.

It's a great hill to climb. The hardest part is up to the cattle grid, you get a bit of a rest after that. Although I doubt you'll be resting much when you're racing up it :lol:

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • CHRISNOIR wrote:
    nolf wrote:

The York UniCycle Club! You're going hillclimbing on a one-wheeler? Chapeau Sir... :wink:

Any clown can do that.

• It's a great hill to climb. The hardest part is up to the cattle grid, you get a bit of a rest after that. Although I doubt you'll be resting much when you're racing up it :lol:

I started hill climb racing 3 seasons ago and have done about 6 different climbs now.
    Carlton Bank is the hardest one to race up i have done.

i presume you meant the hardest part is after the cattle grid, when it ramps up to 22%!!!!

Was a killer and was in big oxygen debt at the finish. Finished 6th overall which was not too bad. 7'26 was my time.

Was a good crowd one the steeper sections near the top.
  • @Celbianchi, I went to watch the climb. I was stood right at the top in a Barloworld jersey if you saw me. 7.26 is an incredible time up that hill, it's a bastard.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Shockedsoshocked,

When I was going though the crowds over the last few bends I could hear the encouragement but was chewing the bars so much that I did not look up. It was good atmosphere though. I think there were a couple of photographers so will keep my eyes peeled to see my suffering.

it is amazing to think that the record up it is 5'39 by Stuart Dangerfield in the nationals in 97!. Shaun did a good ride yesterday but he's a classy rider so you expect it.

I got to the event early to have a ride up it before my timed effort just to see what it was like. it is not possible to ride that hill easilly, even when just dawdling up I was breathing very deeply.
    If I had a 25 on I think i'd have used it, 39*23 was a bit of a grind on the steeper bits.
    I was the chap in VC Azzurri kit and the BMC road bike if you noticed me!
  • I did notice you, and I also noticed the bike :D (very nice)

Have to agree the atmosphere was great. Shame about a few impatient drivers on the road mind.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • The bikes lovely. Considered using some stupidly light wheels for the event but thought i 'd stick with my normal race wheel. I found on the really steep bits, if in the saddle that the front wheel was lifting anyway.

There were some boy racers hammering down the hill as I decended for my start, shouting at those already on the climb. N O B S.

Aside from that it was a great event and well done to Cleveland Wheelers and Brian for organising. I'll try and persuade a few more from the club to do it next year. We don't have any testers, just roadies in the club and most of them think hill climbing is an unecessary evil at the end of the season. I like em though!

Good to see a number of Juniors and juveniles riding as well, we need the youngsters to keep coming through.
  • nolf
    Yeah hey again guys, been a wile for me cause I'm in the middle of my freshers week, so no spare time!

I did it in 7-07 and came 8th, which i'm really pleased at- haven't ridden it before and new so well pleased :)

Alfred Tennyson
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    nolf wrote:
    came 8th
    That's great Nolf........................unless there were only 8 entered :wink:

Actually see you were 8th out of 24 and were a 1-03 behind the winner which is none too shabby at all.................and on a unicycle as well, amazing! :wink: