First clipped in fall

purplemad
purplemad Posts: 86
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
and it had to be right outside my house. :( I haven't been on my bike much over the past month as I hurt my shoulder at work, and so I thought I would brave it today. Anyway I only did a short cycle, got to outside home and pressed stop on my computer, then thought oh feck I am stationary, oh feck, unclip unclip, then omg I can't, then oh cr@p I'm going to fall, then oh cr@p I'm falling. :cry: Yes I fell onto my bad arm side. I am sporting a nice graze on my left leg, a sore hip, and sore hand. Don't seem to have made shoulder feel any worse than it did beforehand.

the bike has a few scratches :( , but they are on the pedals and handlebars.

I knew it happen some day.

Comments

• At least it wasnt next to a bus bus stop full of people watching you suffer.... :oops:
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    sorry to read of your sad demise,purplemad,pleased it's only bumps and bruises.It had to happen one day, least now it's over and done with. :lol:
  • I've abandoned my SPD's for that very reason. It's not that I have a bad memory, well . . . . .

I just enter "Another World" when I'm out on my bike. On arriving home s few weeks ago having thought I'd sussed it, I pulled up "Dead" at my gate with 0.0001" clearance, as I always do, "Oh no" (not the exact words), then fell into the house wall. Badly grazed arm, knuckles, face, knee BUT worse of all, pedals, handle bars, ends, levers etc :(

After a cuppa, replaced pedals. The next time the SPD520's get used will be on a recumbent trike . . . they don't fall over when you stop. In fact, no need to un-clip at all! :D
  • If the truth is known, nearly everybody on here has either fallen when they were getting used to their pedals, or very nearly fallen.
    Dont think i would go back to any other system of pedals tho, once your comfortable with them, the benefits outweigh the occasional "oh shit im still clipped in" moment
  • thats interesting, i didnt type shoot in my reply :?
  • crackle
    crackle Posts: 216
    Don't have clipless yet but did a very similiar things on clips and as for the bus stop thing, well there really was a bus stop outside our house.

My party trick was to cycle up to the gate and nudge it hard with the front wheel whereupon it would swing open and then shut behind me as I cycled through virtually without stopping. The trick was not to hit it too hard as it would swing shut on the back wheel and not to hit it too soft otherwise there was no room between gate and car.

It worked exceptionally well until someone latched the gate one night. I hit the gate as per usual and was surprised to see nothing happen. In fact so surprised that I didn't even try to release my feet but fell graciously sideways at a kind of slow motion replay speed. A quick scrabble and I was on my feet and through the gate at embarrassed speed but not before a drunken cheer and loud clapping had rang out from the 10 blokes standing at the bus stop! What was that said my sister as I came in. Oh nothing I said, just some drunks outside.

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........
  • . . . . And we do this for fun!
  • purplemad wrote:
    and it had to be right outside my house. :( I haven't been on my bike much over the past month as I hurt my shoulder at work, and so I thought I would brave it today. Anyway I only did a short cycle, got to outside home and pressed stop on my computer, then thought oh feck I am stationary, oh feck, unclip unclip, then omg I can't, then oh cr@p I'm going to fall, then oh cr@p I'm falling. :cry: Yes I fell onto my bad arm side. I am sporting a nice graze on my left leg, a sore hip, and sore hand. Don't seem to have made shoulder feel any worse than it did beforehand.

the bike has a few scratches :( , but they are on the pedals and handlebars.

I knew it happen some day.
    Welcome to the club icon_smile_blackeye.gif
  • Thanks you guys, I knew I wasn't the only one to have done this. I must admit to have being quite glad I was near home and that I live in the middle of no-where, right up until the point that someone i know drove past :roll: and stopped thinking I was having a rest, (on the floor with bike at a scew) cheeky get. :lol:
    Kind of glad to have got it over and done with, or rather got the first one over and done with, I know it's not as bad as I had thought it was going to be.
  • wors
    wors Posts: 90
    i dislocated my shoulder the first and only (upto now) i did that!
  • I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but there was a butterfly on the ground where you fell.

I know I'm alright, the voices tell me so.

Once you get used to them they are waaaaaay superior to toe straps (I've used both).
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Ahh... The grazes.

Next will come the itchiness as they start to heal. (One on my elbow last night).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • wors wrote:
    i dislocated my shoulder the first and only (upto now) i did that!

Shite I really didn't want to hear that, hope it's OK now for you. I dislocated my shoulder at work last year, then again in August last year, had an op on it this year, and sprained or strained (doc not sure what I have done) it at work 4 weeks ago, so I am keen not to put it out again otherwise I will be finished from my job. :cry::cry::cry:

Yeah I squashed a huge butterfly, think I'll leave it there.

Nolf, I do like my SPD's so I shall grin and bear the occasional fall

Cuts nails off so as not to scratch grazes.

They look a lot better this morning, the hip is still sore, but I seem to be OK :D
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Hello everyone, been lurking a while but saw this thread and had a good 'laugh out loud - this sounds familiar' moment!

I bought a road bike in February and went clipless in May. By last week I'd still not had the infamous 'clipless moment' and spent an evening telling my somewhat sceptical Uncle just how easy the whole clipless thing is. On a ride the very next day I found myself having a standoff at a crossroads with a campervan. I remembered I was clipped in too late. Priority was established in the vans favour as my trackstand attempt ended in a pile of carbon, aluminium, bleeding limbs, lycra and foul language... :oops:

They say pride comes before a fall but in my experience it's actually expletives...

Apologies for diving straight into the forum mid-thread but I read this and thought, "At last, these are my people..." Hope you're feling better purplemad!
  • CHRISNOIR wrote:
    They say pride comes before a fall but in my experience it's actually expletives...

Apologies for diving straight into the forum mid-thread but I read this and thought, "At last, these are my people..." Hope you're feling better purplemad!

Yeah I think I said fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck in Bridget Jones stylee as I was falling!!! No worries for jumping in here. Welcome to the forum, am quite a newbie here too.
  • OK - as it's turning into true confessions time - fell off (for the first time in about 40 years of riding a bike) - with toe clips. This is the real shame - not even clipless.

About 10 metres ahead of my wife - she calls out something - I stop (OK so far) turn round (still OK) - only when I get to her and stop do I go over. This was 4 weeks ago and the scars have still not healed (physical ones that is).

A really really stupid reason; I was trying out my new road bike and had the wrong shoes on. A pair of Specilalised Sonomas with velcro fastenings (fine with my other bikes) but the velcro caught in the Christophe clips and I couldn't get my foot out. More worried about the bike than me - broke the right hand brake lever.

So - now I've done it I may as well go clipless.

FF
  • Oh dear FF. Hope you heal soon. I must admit I haven't checked the bike over thoroughly yet.
  • The second time it happened to me was after I'd just broken a chain, and was so concerned about not mashing the front derailleur that I ... fell into a bed of nettles :shock: :shock: :shock: Ouch!
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    And yet my head had time to think (in no particular order) -

"This feels wrong."
    "God, I'm going to fall off here."
    "How embarrasing is this going to be?"
    "Is anyone looking?"
    "There'd better not be a car behind me."
    "Hope the bike'll be ok."
    "This may hurt..."

But I couldn't get it together to unclip...

:?
  • Ouch George.

Chris, yeah how come you can think ultra fast before and as you are falling? The number of thoughts that went through my head is amazing. I know I think fast, but brain went into hyper mode.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Hi purplemad,
    Fellow lady clipless falling cyclist here! I hope you're feeling better.
    We've all done it and I'm sure that I for one will definitely do it again.
    did you make it to the Manchester 100 in the end? it was a good day but we got a bit wet at the end.
    Happy cycling
    xx
  • I have only had 2 clipless falls. Both times were on my driveway. :oops:
    They do say that most accidents happen close to your home.
  • GF has had 2 rides in clipless pedals/road shoes and fell twice. First was unclip left but lean right, the 2nd was unclip the left, lean left but get blown by a gust of wind to the right.

To add insult to injury, when watching the Tour of Britain...she fell over and sprained her ankle! Perhaps bikes and her are not meant to get on?????
  • Hiya Poppette, no I never made it to the M100, I was supposed to be working it, and it was that weekend that I injured my shoulder again, so even if I had been off I wouldn't have managed to cycle at all. :( Never mind, I will do it next year. Grazes are minimal now, but hip is still hurting, but it will be OK, nothing serious done.

They certainly do richard, as an ambulance woman I can vouch for that!

Ouch Wastelander. I did manage a few more rides before I fell off being clipped in, thank goodness, had it been my first ride I don't know if I would ever go back!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Hi MadP!

Sorry to hear about your fall, glad they aren't hurting as much as before, hope you are well otherwise. I too have done it on 2 occassions (in 6 months of riding with SPDs). Only minor grazes both times, and bruised pride!!

I'm about to go out for my first short ride since doing my ankle in. I'm sticking to flats at the moment cos I think it'll hurt my ankle twisting to get my foot out of SPDs!!
  • bad luck about your fall
    i fell over on my first ride out clipped in , pressed to hard down onto the pedal + rain + a slippery surface and i had cut my knee up and bent my gear lever and handle bars slightly , on another note would trying to bend out the gear lever do anymore harm ?
  • Not a clue Rockon sorry, I am a real newbie to biking esp having my own proper bike!

hammerite, hope your ride went well.
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    richardast wrote:
    I have only had 2 clipless falls. Both times were on my driveway. :oops:
    They do say that most accidents happen close to your home.

I came whizzing along my road a few weeks back, up next doors drive, up my path, slammed the brakes on and stopped perfectly at the front door. Then thought, Oh ffffff.......
    Fortunately I could lean against the part of the house which is at right angles to the front door!

I've had the damn bike for about 10 years, but spend all summer riding MTB's with flat pedals! Doh!
  • Eeeek bryan, glad you didn't actually fall off, I was only about 2 metres away from having something to hold onto!!