What's your top speed???

PhilTheFish
PhilTheFish Posts: 82
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Fitted my cycle computer last week and my top speed is 26.5 mph on a good long stretch of reasonably downhill road.

My average speed over the week has been around 13mph

What have you lot clocked?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited September 2007
    I've had my cycle computer on for a week.

Top speed 40.4mph, on a flat smooth road after struggling to reach 35mph on a really poorly surfaced road downhill. The 40.4mph was in a 30mph limit area, so I guess I was being a bit naughty, I would have gone faster but the traffic was only moving at about 40 and I didn't fancy passing them.

My average is a poor 12mph, but it keeps going up after each ride, so I'd imagine it'll be about 14mph eventually.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jon208
    jon208 Posts: 335
    Not got a computer on the commuter but on the MTB top speed -

On road 43mph - can't get it any faster than this regardless of effort or "tucking in", think it's my Vmax - without shaving my legs :D

Off road 31mph :shock: - bit of a buttock clencher that one!
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    edited September 2007
    With the commuter the tops I've done is arround 34mph, most certainly downhill :wink: .

With the road bike the tops I've done is 47.6mph down the String Road to Brodick (Arran) only to get stuck behind a Suzuki not no Swift that braked on every bend. Other people I'm told have got up to 60mph on the same stretch. 8)

My average varies a bit depending on my attitude/ bike/ clothes etc. On the commuter I only average around 12.5-13.5mph on the road bike its about 16mph.
  • my commute is only 3 miles so I can cain it on the flat without worrying about burning out later, can sometimes hit 27 under my own steam but not for long - best ever was 38 drafting a bus :oops: but average is probably 18
  • I've seen 38mph on my computer coming down Sawyer's Hill in Richmond Park and can get myself up to about 27mph on the flat with an all out effort. Looking forward to getting my first road bike so that I can watch those records tumble!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    No idea, have a computer on the Sirrus but don't use it as no fittings on the london dream machine with no name

Can you get spare mountings for computers?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    Yeah you get spares
    I prefer to use separate computers though.
  • GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    Hi,
    Would post a picture of me doing nearly 100kph 8) , but can't work out how to get the picture in. :roll:
    Can anyone help?
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • My computer says i've done a max of 165 kmh. Unfortunately it also sometimes says i'm doing 40kmh when i'm stopped at a junction and 6kmh when i'm caining it downhill :lol: I think it's knackered.....only keep it on for the clockso i know how hard to pedal to get to work on time!
  • Fitted my cycle computer last week and my top speed is 26.5 mph on a good long stretch of reasonably downhill road.

My average speed over the week has been around 13mph

What have you lot clocked?
    My numbers are almost identical to yours - makes me feel better, the average speeds quoted on here usually seem to be a good bit higher for some reason.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    mea00csf wrote:
    I think it's knackered.....!

yes !
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I used to have a wireless comp that would go wild if I stopped by a speed camera. Guess that the radar was interferring with the signal. Wonder if it has the same effect on things like heart pacemakers?
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    edited September 2007
    36mph coming down Star and Garter Hill from Richmond park, on my mtb with nobblies...worrying about whether I'd stop before the lights...Or whether my brake blocks would melt to the rim!! All was fine though
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    56mph is the most of I've seen, descending the Cat & Fiddle......

Could have gone quicker... I must go to B**llocks R Us and buy a bigger pair....
  • cntl
    cntl Posts: 290
    >>Top speed 40.4mph, on a flat smooth road after struggling

I laughed so hard reading this line I choked on a banana.

Yeah, RIGHT!

PS. Get your computer set up.
  • redddraggon
    cntl wrote:
    >>Top speed 40.4mph, on a flat smooth road after struggling

I laughed so hard reading this line I choked on a banana.

Yeah, RIGHT!

PS. Get your computer set up.

The computer is set up right.

I think I said I struggled at 35mph coming down the descent with a very poorly surfaced road. At the bottom of said descent, at still a slight decline, the road becomes perfectly tarmaced and smooth, here I can speed up to 40mph,the road flattens out, the speed limit comes down to 30, the cars slow down to 40 and I draft them for about half a mile.

I don't see what's so unreasonable about that. I'm sure that any fit and experienced road cyclist would easily get over 50mph.

Why is what I said unreasonable?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cntl
    cntl Posts: 290
    >>Why is what I said unreasonable?

Well, if it was downhill then maybe (and a big MAYBE at that, this must have been quite a steep and/or long hill). You wrote 'flat road' which to me seemed like a seperate stretch to the downhill you mentioned later. If it is after the hill, so to speak, then it is downhill, not a flat surface. You write flat road and people might immediately think...well... flat.
  • redddraggon
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/descent

It's not a large descent, but I don't see why 40mph is unreasonable, on the drops and spinning out on 50/12.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Ride a MTB with 26 x 2.125 knobbies, and flat pedals to boot, so these figures won't be terribly impressive. I will get a more road-oriented bike as soon as I demonstrate to myself I'm sticking to the bike-commuting.

Top speed of about 30 mph (down a pretty substantial hill, could have gone a bit faster but I was waiting for fiancee to catch up.... yeah that's my excuse :wink: )

Average about 13-14 mph on commute (that's not including time stopped at red lights).
  • 40.1mph on the stretch of A4 from Gillette Corner to Boston Manor Road on my way from Slough to the Critical Mass Ride in July, on my rigid Diamondback MTB commuter.

The annoying thing is that I was still accelerating when the centrifugal force of the rear wheel caused the spoke-attached reflector to fly forwards, smash into the seatstays/seattube, disintegrate and make a hell of a racket as the pieces made their way back though the V-brakes and rear wheel. :shock:

I decided that pulling over to check that I was not about to have something go seriously tits-up at that speed on a busy Friday evening A4 was probably more sensible than trying to eke out another 2-3mph for my record!! :?

The bike was fine but the reflector had evaporated... :(

I was a little shaken until I had cycled another mile or so and all was still OK.
    8)
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    top I've noticed was 37.5, seem to average 15mph.

But then, I'm commuting, not racing. I look to downhills as my breaks.

I'm looking to increase my performance going up them!
  • Fastest going downhill - 47.6 mph Great wood North of Potters Bar.

Slightly uphill going north on Whetstone Highroad in London during big storm last year overtook numerous cars - speedo registering 36.5 mph, digital speedo on car I was inching past read 37mph. OK it was a strong tailwind!! 8) took ages getting home at end of day though.
  • I managed 39.9 MPH on a Richmond Park down hill towards Roehampton Gate. Was really gutted I didn't reach 40.
    Passed some poor sod on an MTB, it was like he was motionless (also several cars as I was double the Cager speed limit; not sure if it also applies to human powered vehicles. The police should give me a ticket for furious cycling, which I would laminate and mount on the wall (it's worth the fine)).
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    The fastest was 85 km/h going down the Dark peak in the Peak district. On a flat TT I manage to keep at around 40 km/h; I've cut down the commute distance, so I go for much higher speed.
    Mid-season Wheelers' 10mi TT -- I managed to improve by a bit towards the end of the summer.
    1446807648_9bd47f45c3_b.jpg
    This is my commute from work.
    1445948105_60916d0fe1_b.jpg

-- Jan
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • Makes my 45.5 mph down the Crow road into Lennoxtown seem way too slow, bloody frightening though once the adrenaline rush wore off and I started to think of how effective my knees, elbows and shoulders would have been as brakes! I was dodging the odd sheep though.... no fences and sheep, a lot of sheep.

I'm new to road cycling but getting my distance and speed up slowly. Now doing 45 mile runs, averaging 15 mph and getting ready to tackle a club run in the next month once I can break the 70 mile barrier

Here's to breaking the 45 mph barrier..... :D
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    The lovely Kelsall Hill near Chester offers you a very long clear drop on a dual carriageway that doesn't seem to get too busy. I hit 38mph upright on a hybrid without pedaling, then kept up mid-20's for quite a few more miles on the adrenaline. I'd recommend it to anybody.
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    32mph on an mtb down polebrook hill in northamptonshire :shock:
  • spord
    spord Posts: 34
    48.5mph according to the computer. On Dundry Hill near Bristol. I bottled it at that point and slowed to more like 30.
  • Shaky
    Shaky Posts: 50
    My top speed is around 43 mph. Managed this going down the Brighton side of Ditchling Beacon on the L2B this year, and travelling round the first corner of the Brands Hatch Indy Circuit.

It's kinda scary (but fun) when you're not wearing a metal box! :lol:
    "Take me Garth"
    "Where? I'm low on gas and you need a jacket"
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    49 mph coming down Mt. Ventoux. Average speed for the 22 km descent was a gnats c0ck under 40 mph.
    What a blast... :D

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1