Do cycle shorts really make that much difference

2»

Comments

• nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    hammerite wrote:
    . If my chain comes off they'll get covered in grease and if there's anything wet about I'll be covered in mud!

Chains coming off and covered in grease ? Haven't you learned anything from the forums :lol: Adjust and clean yr chain, use a dry lube, wipe off the excess, etc.

I cycle in all weathers in the same cotton shorts and my newest, but standard, grundies. If you follow cycling fashions, you'll end up in ra-ra skirts, snooks, ruffs, top hats, chain mail and togas when they all come back into vogue
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Oh.. and I should add my 'actual' opinion which is they are worth every penny. Beware of ultra-cheap ones tho - they really aren't worth the cash. Spend a bit more and you'll get a lot more. Spend a LOT more (ie: Assos) and you'll be in heaven.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Feck the teenagers!!! Just been up half the night with babies. I Intend to embarrass them as much as possible when they're older.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    You could use padded undershorts - I have a couple of pairs for woggle (dhb) which are glorified padded boxers with a boit of length. The idea is then to wear baggy shorts over them. The padding insert makes a huge difference to bike comfort - I cannot imagine riding without one.
    I have a pair of Endura padded undercrackers. They are an very worthwhile alternative to lycra or baggies with inserts.

However, teenage kids are meant to be embarassed by their parents, it's a rite of passage. I suggest you make the most of it, get something loud - a team or polka dot jersey, brightly coloured llycra bib shorts (preferably clashing with the jersey) etc :)
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Theres a world of difference between 'quite good' and being comfortable. I have a couple of pairs of padded undershorts and for a short/medium commute/trip they are ok. For anything else, proper lycra shorts/bibs can't be bettered. Its not cycling snobbery, more a case of the 'right tool for the job'. Don't be put off from wearing it and don't be told otherwise.
  • Lateuk
    Lateuk Posts: 22
    Stupid question but are you meant to wear anything under the lycra shorts?
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Lateuk wrote:
    Stupid question but are you meant to wear anything under the lycra shorts?

In short, 'No'

It wasn't until I joined this forum a month or so ago that I found that there was anything wrong in wearing cycling gear for cycling.

I obviously wouldn't bother if I'm just riding a couple of miles into town but when I commuted it never occurred to me to wear anything other than cycling shorts and tops. For a start it saved wearing out other stuff - and shorts definitely wear out quite quickly.

I used to wear tweed plusses in winter and touring shorts or acrylic racing shorts in summer. Then I bought my first pair of skin shorts for racing and was hooked. They were so comfortable.

We used to ride a lot with the Tandem Club which, not surprisingly, is primarily couples and families and whilst a lot of people wore a variety of tops most wore lycra shorts as does just about everyone else I know who rides any distance touring or racing.

All sports have clothing that experience has found is most appropriate. So we wore what everyone else did for dinghy racing; I wore boots and Barbour suits for motorcycle trials - with a fashionable tweed cap; I wear sunglasses and baseball cap when I fly RC model planes; I don't give a toss what people think - I'm too old to bother.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Yes they really do make a big difference.

They're much more comfortable for longer rides & they are breathable, so your crotch doesn't become a sweaty mess.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Do you use them? I've been looking for some decent bib short - if I could get away without spending megabucks but still protect the delicate areas, that would be great :)
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I think it depends on you, and the ride(s) you are doing, your build, how frequently you are cycling, and for how long you are on the bike. I'm fairly small and light, so the pressure my body puts on the saddle is far less than someone over 6ft tall, for example. My preference is just normal shorts, as I find them most comfortable, but I do wear cycling shorts quite often, especially in the winter. If I do ride without cycling shorts I make sure I pick out the right underwear. On Wednesday I cycled to work and wore the wrong underwear - rubbing in the wrong places and causing some slight soreness after an hour.