Do cycle shorts really make that much difference

JKO
JKO Posts: 29
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Recently got in to cycling and ride 3 / 4 times per week for anything up to 75 minutes. Do not currently wear cycling shorts and am under strict instructions from my children NOT to get any just in case any of their friends see me out on my bike.

However, most of the things I read seem to say cycling shorts are a must and I wonder if they really do make such a difference to comfort and enable you to stay much longer in the saddle.

Must say, one of the main benefits of being a parent to teenage children is to be able to watch them cringe with embasassment at the older generation and I am tempted to buy some of the tightest fitting most unflattering shorts I can find just for the hell of it. Kinda makes up for some of the hassle you have to put up with from time to time !

On a serious note, will they make my cycling more comfortable and enjoyable.

Comments

• sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    yes.
    you could get some mtb shorts with a padded insert. no lycra for the kids to cringe at.
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • I can't imagine not wearing padded cycling shorts - they are a must. My late teenagers call my bib shorts my "wrestling suit" but don't seem to mind that much, it's the younger ones you can get most sport from by embarassing them
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    I would say they'll definitly be more comfortable than normal clothing. You have options of tight lycra shorts or baggies depending on what you feel comfortable in.( or what your kids will let you wear) :roll: :roll:
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    I am tempted to buy some of the tightest fitting most unflattering shorts I can find just for the hell of it. Kinda makes up for some of the hassle you have to put up with from time to time !

I've always said I'd never wear lycra, untill I read that......................................... :lol:

cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • You can always wear regular baggy shorts over the lycra ones - that's what I do anyway.
  • Padded lycra shorts are a must, i always said i would never wear them, but to be honest on a road bike without them you dont look right.
    Steveaps
  • Must say, one of the main benefits of being a parent to teenage children is to be able to watch them cringe with embasassment at the older generation and I am tempted to buy some of the tightest fitting most unflattering shorts I can find just for the hell of it.

I myself am a teenager(15) and I have found that lycra can be a kind of respect icon, my friends don't make fun of me for it, they respect me.

I feel that padded lycra shorts are a must have, personally I prefer bib shorts but it really is down to what you feel most comfortable.
    They do increase comfort considerably and will make your riding more fun and will help you ride further for longer.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    JKO wrote:
    Yes. Without a shadow of a doubt. Believe me.

Ruth
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I think you can wear what you want. If you are just nipping down to the shops wear what you are stood up in at the time. Cycling should be as easy as walking out of the front door for a short [less than two milish trip]. but on longer runs with no padding you will soon know about it. Only thing is if you are all lycrared up people expect you to be Tour de france standard. Not a wheezing fat bloke on a bike. note. must stop talking about myself....

Jim :lol:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I have to admit that while I wear lycra shorts some of the time, a lot of the time I don't. In the summer I just go with a small pair of shorts. Having said that, in the winter I generally go with full length padded tights - although that is more about the warmth and comfort on the legs. I can quite happily do my hour long commute in whatever shorts I choose, and if necessary some soft and stretchy underwear. For me it partly depends on the saddle. On my MTB the saddle is quite harsh so I'd always wear padded shorts. I find my main road bike saddle pretty comfortable, so padding isn't that vital.
  • It is your duty as a parent to embarrass your children so get the brightest stuff you can find. My children were so used to my gear that last year I started shaving my legs.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I would try the £15.99 dhb ones from Wiggle, highly recommended, and I have just bought my second pair.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    I can't imagine not wearing padded cycling shorts - they are a must. My late teenagers call my bib shorts my "wrestling suit" but don't seem to mind that much, it's the younger ones you can get most sport from by embarassing them
    yeah my missus calls me "big daddy" when i'm in mine, pity she doesn't when i'm out of them :wink:
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • You could use padded undershorts - I have a couple of pairs for woggle (dhb) which are glorified padded boxers with a boit of length. The idea is then to wear baggy shorts over them. The padding insert makes a huge difference to bike comfort - I cannot imagine riding without one.
  • jsmithfym wrote:
    It is your duty as a parent to embarrass your children so get the brightest stuff you can find. My children were so used to my gear that last year I started shaving my legs.

Absolutely.
    A top tip I learnt from my father: cycling caps just don't come lurid enough, yet welders caps are almost an identical fit and available in all sorts of hideous floral patterns. :wink:

Back on topic; MTB rarely bother as you spend much less time in the saddle and are constantly adjusting position on it, road bike it's a must.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • While I use Lycra padded shorts and agree with whats been said here. Why do cycling shorts have to be made of shinny lycra??? At 55 years old and still a bit of a belly I will admit lycra is an embrassment to anyone that sees me. Surely in this day and age cycling shorts could be made of some other material !!
    Come to think of it what is the reason for lycra????
  • everogere wrote:
    While I use Lycra padded shorts and agree with whats been said here. Why do cycling shorts have to be made of shinny lycra??? At 55 years old and still a bit of a belly I will admit lycra is an embrassment to anyone that sees me. Surely in this day and age cycling shorts could be made of some other material !!
    Come to think of it what is the reason for lycra????

You could always get Merino Wool. But at £50 a pop, its a bit pricey. Its not just lycra the shorts are made of though, its all the other technical fabrics (climacool etc) that help to keep you in tip-toppish condition.
  • Do people actually care what others think of them because they like to wear lycra :roll:
    I don't give a monkey's as long as Im comfortable and warm.We don't look any dafter than some of the boy racers with caps turned back to front.Or people wearing football shirts.
    My15 yr old son said to his mates when they seen me in lycra,"you try going with him and you will soon see why he wears it".
    Go for it and wear it with pride.
    try a pair of these.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=c8185 :wink:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Why do people care what other people think of them wearing lycra? I don't give a stuff, as long as it's comfortable and it looks good to me and the quality is long lasting too.

Assos kit suits me perfectly, you get what you pay for and excellent value for the years you get out of paying for a premium price label.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    I only get upto 50 miles at a time but I haven't bothered with lycra or padded stuff. It is friction that tends to do the damage and I have some totally normal cotton shorts and pretty standard M & S pants (several pairs of course ! ) that don't cause me any chafing or pokey-thru embarrassment.

Let's be honest - like a lot of things in this sport - it's often about showing off, and wearing the full 'cycling gear' is part of it isn't it ?
  • nickcuk wrote:
    Let's be honest - like a lot of things in this sport - it's often about showing off, and wearing the full 'cycling gear' is part of it isn't it ?

I have to disagree.

I wouldn't consider playing rugby in a pair of running shoes. I don't use a tennis racquet when playing squash, so why would I want to ride my bike in anything except clothing designed specifically for cycling?

Using the correct equipment for any sport makes it safer, more efficient and ultimately more enjoyable.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • nickcuk
    "Hotblack wrote:

Using the correct equipment for any sport makes it safer, more efficient and ultimately more enjoyable.

Honestly, I have no problem underneath wearing pretty standard grundies and shorts or I would have bought a few pairs of the obligatory expensive lycra jobbies.
  • I tend to agree that they're not really necessary, especially for shorter rides. Anything up to 30-40 miles, I'm fine with a pair of cut off jeans, Maybe I've just got an odd shaped bum, who knows?

Bill
  • nickcuk
    bikerbill wrote:
    Maybe I've just got an odd shaped bum, who knows?

Bill

Best not to get involved in the formation team planning to bare our a**es going past a speed camera then - we've been warned that if we can be identified we may be done for some indecency !

Unless you could disguise it with false glasses, a moustache and a beard
  • nickcuk wrote:
    I only get upto 50 miles at a time but I haven't bothered with lycra or padded stuff. It is friction that tends to do the damage and I have some totally normal cotton shorts and pretty standard M & S pants (several pairs of course ! ) that don't cause me any chafing or pokey-thru embarrassment.

I'd agree that little bits of it are, for example you don't need to wear a full skinsuit when riding out in the park with your kids, but in the context as a "sport" no I don't agree at all. Have you tried riding for more than 30 minutes flat out in an aero position without padded shorts or with a great flappy sail like jersey?
  • nickcuk
    Well the original post was from a fellow newbie building up to 75 min rides and JKO wondered if he should get them - not that he was feeling tender below, etc. He wasn't giving the impression of an aerodynamic sprinter - for whom I'd agree that it all makes sense.
  • JKO wrote:
    Recently got in to cycling and ride 3 / 4 times per week for anything up to 75 minutes. Do not currently wear cycling shorts and am under strict instructions from my children NOT to get any just in case any of their friends see me out on my bike.

However, most of the things I read seem to say cycling shorts are a must and I wonder if they really do make such a difference to comfort and enable you to stay much longer in the saddle.

Must say, one of the main benefits of being a parent to teenage children is to be able to watch them cringe with embasassment at the older generation and I am tempted to buy some of the tightest fitting most unflattering shorts I can find just for the hell of it. Kinda makes up for some of the hassle you have to put up with from time to time !

Do some longer rides, four hours and more and believe me you will need good quality padded lycra shorts :D
    My kids laugh at my cycling gear, even the guys on my club run laugh at my choice of tops :D Why are cyclists so fashion conscious? What a bunch of wusses :D
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    My little boy (6) thinks that my cycling kit is quite cool. It's actually the other way round, I get the p!ss took out of me by my parents, brother and sister!!

Like most others, I wear it because it's what I feel most comfortable in when riding, but also because I don't want to wear my normal clothes on my bike. If my chain comes off they'll get covered in grease and if there's anything wet about I'll be covered in mud! UI'd rather save that for my cycling gear.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    No - it's a worldwide lycra fetish...
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Yes to padding. Even on a modest 17 miles per day commute, it made all the difference to my enjoyment of cycling, and I've never gone back.

As for lycra budgie-smugglers, it's up to you. If you want to wear them, there's plenty to choose from and they are so comfortable that you hardly know you've got them on. But you don't have to. I have some Endura padded under-shorts that are quite good, or I just wear a pair of cheap lycra shorts under hiking trousers.

One thing is for sure, if you are going anywhere hot or if you sweat a lot, nothing beats lycra and coolmax for comfort.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)