iPhone

Richie1964
Richie1964 Posts: 2,601
edited September 2007 in The bottom bracket
I see the worst secret in Mobile comms was officially announced today. So who's gonna get on one 9/11??

Not me for sure!

Comments

• L60N
    L60N Posts: 223
    Neither me, it doesnt even have fast 3g internet connectivity????
  • Richie1964
    Richie1964 Posts: 2,601
    And the tariffs are a total rip off. £35 p/m for only 200 mins and 200 texts. Scandalous!
  • Richie1964 wrote:
    And the tariffs are a total rip off. £35 p/m for only 200 mins and 200 texts. Scandalous!

It's an Apple product and is therefore aimed at people for who style is vastly more important than substance.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I've seen a few people using them around the City and they're oh so lovely. I mean, really stunning looking pieces of kit and they seem to work very well.

But I'm thinking of binning my mobile completely as I have no use for one, so my Apple fetish will have to put out of the window. Think I'll just get an iPod Touch instead.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    We've had a couple at work since they were launched in the US. As Iain says it is a stunning piece of kit but after a couple of days the novelty wears off (normally in direct relation to the screen reaching tipping point in grubbiness terms).

It's an interesting business model they have though, rumour has it that Apple get 40% of the contract revenue from O2. :shock:

(It's 10% with AT&T in the US).
  • L60N
    Its worth it to O2 if they are to be the sole providers of contract iphones.

So many nuggets out there willing to part with ridiculous money for the next "big thing" only to be dissapointed when they get it home.

Same crack with the PS3, £400 WTF??
  • iainf72
    L60N wrote:
    Same crack with the PS3, £400 WTF??

That's what it costs - High hardware costs. Only Nintendo make any profit on the actual console.

XB360 is cheaper but if you add on an HD-DVD drive and a wireless NIC suddenly it's in the same ballpark. And Sony are cheeky enough to make you pay for their online service.

The big difference is the 360 has some games :P
  • Richie1964 wrote:

It's an Apple product and is therefore aimed at people for who style is vastly more important than substance.

Not completely true. I have an Ipod Nano that makes the daily grind on the tube a lot less painfull that it would be otherwise. It'll also drown out all the boring phone conversations that the pretentious tw*ts will be having on the my train trip to Newcastle this afternoon.

Before anyone asks why I don't cycle to work rather than use the tube ask yourself whether you fancy the A40 into London by bike in the mornings. I'd bee road kill within days :(
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • andyp wrote:
    We've had a couple at work since they were launched in the US. As Iain says it is a stunning piece of kit but after a couple of days the novelty wears off (normally in direct relation to the screen reaching tipping point in grubbiness terms).

It's an interesting business model they have though, rumour has it that Apple get 40% of the contract revenue from O2. :shock:

(It's 10% with AT&T in the US).

I believe AT&T subsidise the service, whereas O2 will share revenue - so direct comparison of the deal doesn't quite work.

What is shocking is the price. Headline might by £200 and whatever, but over the 18-month contract you'll pay £1000!!! Bloody extortionate!! When I renewed my phone contract this year I went on to a 12-month contract with same terms with a new phone (the old one was kaputt anyway) and credited my account about £200. So basically I was paid £200 to have a nice new Nokia!! I certainly don't think I'll be signing up for an iPhone when I can get a deal like that. (I'm just hoping I can convince my phone provider to do a similar offer next year!!)

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • that tarrif from O2 (£35 per month for 200 mins) is what i'm paying anyway, so i might because then i'll have a phone that really does work with my computer instead of just getting itself formatted by the computer

its not too bad for 200 anyone anytime mins isnt that price...
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There'll be legions of advertising, marketing and IT people clamourng to sign-up for corporate deals. Our corporate deal is with O2 - wonder what response I'll get if I ask to swap my lowly Nokia for an i-phone? I don't see me needing an i-phone, but we have 3 i-pods and I think they're great - I love my Shuffle for running / inlining and the occasional bike ride. My wife was asking about one to replace our i-pod video - she's a complete techo-phobe but likes it because it works. Even my mate who works for Microsoft and who's been given a Zune uses an i-pod.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • that tarrif from O2 (£35 per month for 200 mins) is what i'm paying anyway, so i might because then i'll have a phone that really does work with my computer instead of just getting itself formatted by the computer

It's a terrible deal!! You can get 500 minutes anytime any network for less than that without even taking into account getting any sort of 'deal' (whether it be cash back, discount whatever).

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I can't see what all the fuss is about...

What is so good about the iPhone that I need one, what does it do that is so special ???

Errr nothing...
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I definitely won't be getting one. I'm perfectly happy with the phone I have. Until very recently I only ever used a PAYG phone. I then upgraded to one with slingbox functionality built in. This means that I've been able to view/control everything from my Sky box at home. I can also use Orb to stream things from my home PC, although I've not made much use of that. Apart from that I can surf the internet and even make phone calls. That includes free Skype calls - a great example being when my brother called my mobile from an internet cafe in South Africa last night.

For playing of music and videos I just use an Archos 605, which is a great piece of kit. Again, it is possible to stream videos over the net to it, to surf the net, etc.

I think that the iPhone will appeal to some techno geeks, and to people looking to be seen as fashionable, but there is plenty of other great kit out there that doesn't even get a 10th of the hype. The Archos is a perfect example. I'd take one over an iPod any day.

It's a terrible deal!! You can get 500 minutes anytime any network for less than that without even taking into account getting any sort of 'deal' (whether it be cash back, discount whatever).

how come i've not been shown this by any mobile provider despite looking round and asking?

that will be all

• L60N
    edited September 2007
    Dude, around 4 months ago i got:

Free Nokia N95

Tarrif £35 pm

Freebies 800 X network anytime mins & 800 free X network texts.

On Vodafone.

Bear in mind they tried to charge me £150 for the phone, and the same tarriff at £50pm. What im saying is, dont just listen to what they tell you, theyve got massive margins to work with... HAGGLE!

I feel sorry for the naive people who walk into a phone shop with no idea of price, asking for a new phone and basically getting bum raped by a greedy salesman :(

Walk in with some idea of what internet prices are offering, and you should be able to get similar on the street. internet companies make vast amounts of money too ya'know so dont fall for that "Oh internet is differnet to high st" bollocks, although there is a pinch of truth, its not half as much as they'd have you beleive.

It took me 1.5 hours of my time sweating it out with the salesman, and he wasnt happy, but i left feeling very happy, which is the main thing.

But by my maths:

£150+(£15x18) = £420. I dont know many people who can make that in £1.5 hours :P

A rule of thumb I do with salesmen is; if they are smarmy and cant do enough to help, then ive got miles to go...if theyre getting increasinly agitated, im getting close to them not making much money, and i need to consider if im happy with the quote.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    L60N wrote:
    XB360 is cheaper but if you add on an HD-DVD drive and a wireless NIC suddenly it's in the same ballpark. And Sony are cheeky enough to make you pay for their online service.

It's Xbox Live that makes you pay for the service, not the Sony Network Platform...
  • i've never payed for the phone,

normally get it as part of the contract

cant use T mobile or Virgin as i dont get reception in many of the places i need it.

that will be all

• I'm sure the iPhone's lovely 'n all, but the whole 'you can't write 3rd party software' thing really puts me off. I like my smartphone to be like a little computer when I'm not actually talking on it, and the iPhone seems a bit limited in that regard. I currently have a XDA Orbit with Windows Mobile 6 on it. WM6 is clunky as hell and not that stable, but at least you can download lots of neat applications for it (or even write your own).
  • L60N
    iainf72 wrote:
    L60N wrote:

It's Xbox Live that makes you pay for the service, not the Sony Network Platform...

I didnt type that :P
  • L60N
    Dude, around 4 months ago i got:

Free Nokia N95

Tarrif £35 pm

Freebies 800 X network anytime mins & 800 free X network texts.

On Vodafone.

Bear in mind they tried to charge me £150 for the phone, and the same tarriff at £50pm. What im saying is, dont just listen to what they tell you, theyve got massive margins to work with... HAGGLE!

I feel sorry for the naive people who walk into a phone shop with no idea of price, asking for a new phone and basically getting bum raped by a greedy salesman

Walk in with some idea of what internet prices are offering, and you should be able to get similar on the street. internet companies make vast amounts of money too ya'know so dont fall for that "Oh internet is differnet to high st" bollocks, although there is a pinch of truth, its not half as much as they'd have you beleive.

It took me 1.5 hours of my time sweating it out with the salesman, and he wasnt happy, but i left feeling very happy, which is the main thing.

But by my maths:

£150+(£15x18) = £420. I dont know many people who can make that in £1.5 hours

A rule of thumb I do with salesmen is; if they are smarmy and cant do enough to help, then ive got miles to go...if theyre getting increasinly agitated, im getting close to them not making much money, and i need to consider if im happy with the quote.

Edit* LoL, sorry for double post i was editing and it went funny ??
  • I'm sure the iPhone's lovely 'n all, but the whole 'you can't write 3rd party software' thing really puts me off. I like my smartphone to be like a little computer when I'm not actually talking on it, and the iPhone seems a bit limited in that regard. I currently have a XDA Orbit with Windows Mobile 6 on it. WM6 is clunky as hell and not that stable, but at least you can download lots of neat applications for it (or even write your own).

i've had two phones that are suposadly able to pair up with any computer, however the last one that tried got formatted by the computer,

this is apparently due to me using a mac, i've yet to see it, but would consider an iPhone based on being able to integrate it with the mac, making my life much easier.

that will be all

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 64
    In the US, the cost of the iPhone dropped quite a lot after a few months - US$599 to $399.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10635

I wouldn't be rushing out to get one in the UK...

Thom
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:
    L60N wrote:

Good spot. That's what I meant.
  • I'm a dedicated Macuser and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. the lack of val=ue for money is the reason :shock:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • beckenham wrote:
    Richie1964 wrote:

Not completely true. I have an Ipod Nano that makes the daily grind on the tube a lot less painfull that it would be otherwise. It'll also drown out all the boring phone conversations that the pretentious tw*ts will be having on the my train trip to Newcastle this afternoon.

Before anyone asks why I don't cycle to work rather than use the tube ask yourself whether you fancy the A40 into London by bike in the mornings. I'd bee road kill within days :(

Disaster :shock: Coming back from Newcastle on the train last night and the ipod I was glowingly writing about earlier freezes. I had to listen to 2 girly types talking about the pro's and con's of their respective boyfriends. I couldn't concentrate on my cycle sport mag cos of all the cr*p they were talking. What a hellish journey :(
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The thing that spoils it for me is the lousy provider that has been selected.

O2 are rubbish, and I have first hand experience of that believe me. I can see the provider letting down the phone, which is very overpriced unfortunately, and I am a big Apple fan.
  • beckenham wrote:
    *snip* ... Coming back from Newcastle on the train last night and the ipod I was glowingly writing about earlier freezes. I had to listen to 2 girly types talking about the pro's and con's of their respective boyfriends. I couldn't concentrate on my cycle sport mag cos of all the cr*p they were talking. What a hellish journey :(
    If you're looking for a replacement, I can wholeheartedly recommend a Creative Zen Nano Plus. Great sound, unbelievable battery life and mine still works after being through the washing machine twice and dropped / stood on / sat on countless times. Great bit of kit. :mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    iainf72 wrote:
    The big difference is the 360 has some games :P
    But the PS3 is an inordinately powerful computer in its own right.
    MS do what they can to stop the 360 being anything but a console.
    Sony do what they can to support projects to make the PS3 into whatever people think it can be.
    squired wrote:
    I think that the iPhone will appeal to some techno geeks, and to people looking to be seen as fashionable, but there is plenty of other great kit out there that doesn't even get a 10th of the hype. The Archos is a perfect example. I'd take one over an iPod any day.
    I doubt it. It's six year old technology with a bigger hard drive, no productivity whatsoever, pretty closed hardware, difficult development, and two mouse pointers.
    It's aimed at art graduates, to go with their iMac, iPod and iDole.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The Iphone cant even send picture messages ? A real triumph of style over substance.

I'm sticking with my Nokia N73.