SPD'S or not!

2»

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I can't ride unless I'm clipped in. I've tried flats, but I don't feel 'connected' to the bike.
  • Sev101
    Sev101 Posts: 56
    I have been using SPD's for six months now and compared to flats gave me a new lease of life - climbing is easier and from a personal point of view on short steep climbs encourages me to "go for it" a bit more cause I know that I only wanna unclip at the top of the hill plus the extra power through the cranks is useful!! - I have found that they make me think a bit more about how I am gonna ride a section as well - one tip I would give is make sure you leave room when approaching others as if they are a little inexperienced themselves sometimes they have caused me more problems than the shoes - just stopping dead in front of you etc when they get knackered on climbs and things!!!! I would not go back now to flats and the unclipping process soon becomes so natural you dont even realise!

Happy Biking!
  • Bromski
    Bromski Posts: 239
    I've just ridden my new SPD's today and I can't imagine why I was so worried!

I've been panicking for weeks about it since I ordered them and it's absolutely fine!

I stuck to paths and easy stuff today - hopefully I'll be saying that after I try Dalby in them!

The only thing I would say is that they didn't seem to offer me that much more in terms of performance, but maybe that will come when I hot the harder stuff too.
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    It will take you a while to get used to it, eventually you will just be used to pulling on the up. I dont think you would suddenly notice a change unless you went back to riding flats.
  • stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    Another recent convert back to SPD's.

I gave up using them years ago due to them nearly brining a potential football career to an end (bad knees from shimano SPD's) when I was 15. But i'm pleased to say that i've tried Time ATAC Alium pedals and they're awesome. I had been riding flats for the last year but due to me having a Hardtail and my love for rough terrain I was getting bounced off them all the time.

Cant see myself going back!
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    SPD's are great. I'm yet to fall off with mine (touch wood).

I would say 'go for it'. They're definitely a boon when you get up out of the saddle to get some power down. You have no fear of slipping.
  • Get spd's. they are worth it.

i have some shimano ones and they are great, help with uphills and descents!!

really recommend them. You can also alter the tightness of them to suit how used you are to them

Only thing is when you first get them there may be some embarrasing falls. i remember one in dalby forest car park and i fell into someones car!!
    meep, \'Quote\' George Morton " wahoo, I\'m popular again"

My XTC: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=154695
  • YEP!! SPDs all the way! on the steepest of downhill i feel so much safer and it's easier on the uphills aswell :wink:
  • ive been riding with spds since i was 13 (now 17) and i love them even on my hucking bike i went and got some Time freeride pedals so i hade the choice of clipping in or not and the power can really be put down when its needed most and unclipping doesnt even need to be though about now ive had them for so long. i got into them by trying my uncles and they were great and so far only embarassed my self once at the traffic lights on a main road :oops:
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    SPDs - they've been the future for years!
    They work perfectly for cross country and are fine on 'all mountain' bikes too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Full Susser and SPD's

DO IT, DO IT NOWWWWW!!!!!!

www.27gears.com
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • gee23
    gee23 Posts: 29
    I would go for clipless, My only advice is have them lose to start with, and just ride on the road until you are ok with getting in and out you will fall off i think everybody does at first but you soon get used to it, and the extra power you get makes you a lot faster.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    You can always try multi release cleats if you thing you might get stuck in them, The gf rides using them and doesn't have any problems.
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • Wow cant beleive this thread is still going! I'm looking to get a bike now for the wife, it's all money.

Ben
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    btwellz wrote:
    Wow cant beleive this thread is still going! I'm looking to get a bike now for the wife, it's all money.

Ben

With SPDs or without :wink:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Now that is a good question? Ha ha will she wear them I dont think so! :lol: