Healthy/nutritious snack always in your fridge/cupboard?

TechnoBuddhist
TechnoBuddhist Posts: 108
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
I've posted this in Training cos it seems most appropriate and training isn't just about time on the bike, it's about eating right as well.

I wondered what healthy/nutritious snacks people always have to hand at home.

Pasta Salad - pasta, salad(onionss, mushrooms, peppers, cucumber, plus what's in season), cheese, boiled egg, crushed sesame seeds, light mayo(used very sparingly, you can barely see white at all when it's stirred in), sunflower oil(usually a bit of homemade garlic and chilli oil). I vary the meat with whatever is in, ham or tuna, sometimes no meat.

Rice pudding/macaroni pudding - I make a massive batch of this using 2.5l of milk in a pyrex bowl. I store it in the fridge and grab myself a portion whenever I feel. varies between the odd spoonful to a big bowl.

Fruit is usually in the fridge, but that's just a given.

Comments

• nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Umm... Biscuits...crisps...Coke if i'm thirsty...

Altho I find I don't snack much unless i'm on the bike :):D
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I've never understood why people don't sing the praises of a glass of milk more often. A glass of milk and a banana after a hard training session - a darn sight better for you than cleverly marketed artificial, expensive, synthetic 'recovery' gloop. (Though I don't deny that recovery gloop has it's place sometimes.)

Another favourite of mine is a tin of mackerel in tomato sauce with some toast.

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    I've never understood why people don't sing the praises of a glass of milk more often. A glass of milk and a banana after a hard training session - a darn sight better for you than cleverly marketed artificial, expensive, synthetic 'recovery' gloop. (Though I don't deny that recovery gloop has it's place sometimes.)

i guess people who are lactose intolerant may not agree with you (not me), and as for a banana i'd rather make myself vomit (which is what they do to me anyway).

Given that optimal recovery occurs with ~ 1.5 g/kg body mass of CHO, my feeling is that both milk and a banana would fall short of this (unless the person is very small).
    Another favourite of mine is a tin of mackerel in tomato sauce with some toast.

Ruth

Not much use if you're a veggie (like me)... but again i'm not certain if that would supply optimal amounts of CHO.

My post exercise recovery snacks will vary from
    Gloop as Ruth puts it (i find the Hi5 one very tasty, but doesn't supply sufficient carbs)
    Beans on toast with poached eggs followed by a snack bar
    pasta tossed with olive oil (which has been cooked for a minute or so with a diced chilli and some garlic) and sprinkled with parmigiano
    low-fat oven chips (US fries)
    followed with

a glass of salty drink such as a fruit cordial and some added salt
    a cup of tea
    a cereal bar
    ice lolly
    packet of sweets (US. candy) as this is about the only time it's moderately healthy to eat them (although they're still dire for your dental health)

and some raw fruit and veg (i like tomatoes, and cauli raw)

Ric
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • BeaconRuth
    i guess people who are lactose intolerant may not agree with you................... and as for a banana i'd rather make myself vomit (which is what they do to me anyway)................Not much use if you're a veggie (like me)...
    Oops! Very sorry Ric! Next time I'll consider vegetarians, people who don't like bananas and people who are lactose intolerant in my responses to questions. :wink:

And a word of caution for all you people at home who might try to follow my advice: I consume considerably more than milk and a banana after a hard training ride. These are likely to be healthy/nutritious snacks that get me only as far as the shower. Apologies, I will make myself clearer next time. :D

Ruth
  • Oops! Very sorry Ric! Next time I'll consider vegetarians, people who don't like bananas and people who are lactose intolerant in my responses to questions.

Terrible oversight Ruth :wink: . And of course then there are those who are sucrose intolerant, gluten intolerant, suffer from nut allergies (and all manner of other food allergies), the list is undoubtedly endless. Perhaps everyones footer should just have a disclaimer in it? :roll:
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    How can anyone not like bananas?
  • i wish i like them (bananas). I love the flavour (so will happily have a banana milkshake; as long as there's no actual bananas in there!). can't stand the texture of them!

ric
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • I always have a huge glug of soya milk and then either a ham sandwich or peanut butter one. The its usually lunch / dinner time anyway so that comes next.....
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I've just discovered yeast/Marmite-flavoured rice cakes, which are good as snacks. Everyone loves marmite, don't they? :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BeaconRuth
    Marmite?! UGGH!

Ruth
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Actually i'd vote for the milk as well.

A pint of skimmed milk right after a ride, and I generally time my rides so I come in just in time for a meal, or leave some of my last meal cold in the fridge ready and waiting for me.
    The protein in it will give your immune system a bit of a boost (some people recommend an egg as an alternative) and help prevent a stinking cold and sinisitus like I have at the mo :(

But as soon as i'm home- Pint of milk- bag of crisps if it's been v hot, shower + stretching, then a meal

Altho I snack loads on the bike, so generally I'm not starving by the time i get home.

And Ric Stern theres no point in using the about 1.5g/kg of mass as nobody knows how many calories are in there meals. Although you can go to the trouble of measuing it, but that's a bit OTT for everyday use...

Also I noticed there was very little protein in your list, which is necessary for muscle rebuilding and keping your immune system topped up. In fact I've read that you should be getting up to 30% of your calories from protein.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nolf wrote:
    Actually i'd vote for the milk as well.

A pint of skimmed milk right after a ride, and I generally time my rides so I come in just in time for a meal, or leave some of my last meal cold in the fridge ready and waiting for me.
    The protein in it will give your immune system a bit of a boost (some people recommend an egg as an alternative) and help prevent a stinking cold and sinisitus like I have at the mo :(

But as soon as i'm home- Pint of milk- bag of crisps if it's been v hot, shower + stretching, then a meal

Altho I snack loads on the bike, so generally I'm not starving by the time i get home.

And Ric Stern theres no point in using the about 1.5g/kg of mass as nobody knows how many calories are in there meals. Although you can go to the trouble of measuing it, but that's a bit OTT for everyday use...

Also I noticed there was very little protein in your list, which is necessary for muscle rebuilding and keping your immune system topped up. In fact I've read that you should be getting up to 30% of your calories from protein.

Actually, all the research (check David Nieman) shows that the most crucial macronutrient in immune system status is carbohydrate.

No one has said that you shouldn't have protein in your diet. However, research shows us that % are not what we should be aiming for (for e.g., in your scenario you could have 30% of 200 Kcal as your daily intake and you'd be well short on protein). All the data shows us that for trained athletes (e.g., those who race or have the potential to race) we should be aiming for specific amounts per kg body mass (e.g., 7 g / kg BM / day for carbs)

Ric
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    NUTELLA! :)
  • mmm, herring rollmops and toast, mmm
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Seeds and nuts, porridge oats, eggs, salad veg, fruit, yogurt, the ingredients for pancakes - rice flour, buckwheat, spelt or wheat ones. Mmmmm.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Blonde wrote:
    Seeds and nuts, porridge oats, eggs, salad veg, fruit, yogurt, the ingredients for pancakes - rice flour, buckwheat, spelt or wheat ones. Mmmmm.

with the exception of the pancake bit that's just about what I have - although audaxes bring out my cravings for rubbish and I find myself eating fatty foods for days afterwards, which has had a detrimental effect on my weight this year. Monday is the first day of stopping the rubbish, so I should fell better soon.