edited September 2007 in Road beginners
If I'm really good at cycling, but really skint and cant afford a new
bike (because mines ready to brake) how would i go about getting a new
one. i'm gifted at cycling, but how would i enter competitions, who
would i speak to. How can i find companies to sponsor me to go
cycling? anyone got any ideas... any help much appreciated. my
ambitions are to become a famous cyclist... but i'm stuck on an island
doing the same 60-90mile route every day. and the equipment side is letting me
down, because i feel like i'm very good at road cycling but getting held back by things. my body/mind is up to it, but nothing else around me seems that way. The cycling club i wanted to join has closed/ended or is extremely inactive so that idea went quickly. sorry if i sound a bit full of myself saying this.

i'm being kicked out by my parents once i hit 18(1st of octobber), and i'm really stuck for cash... because of rent etc etc. and i dont know how i'm going to follow my cycling dreams. because any road bike ive seen in shops where i live are at least 300 pound... and thats for really cheap racing bikes... if i'm going to stand a good chance in races i need a giant tcr of some sort pref,(carbon ould be nice, but.. at the moment any bike il be thrilled to have)(no help will be given by my parents. dont ask why or suggest they can help, sorry...)
is there any options for me i can realistically take to go places, and become a proper cyclist... hopefully making a living out of cycling?
because i feel like ive hit a dead end (but i always keep remember to myself at times like this. that someones got to win competitions.. and go places and take part in tour de france etc.)

Comments

• welcome to the real world get a job and scour ebay like the rest of us
    i see dumb people
    usually in front of me
  • sorry... i shouldn't of phrased my poste the way i did, or said all the facts.
    but i keep hearing about sponsoring and people being sponsored, and payed money to buy new cycling equipment, and flights/traveling expenses to go places, but how do they get known enough or to where they are... anyone got some good links to websites i can go to, to gain more information... or some i can chat with? ive been looking on ebay uk etc for like ages... and thee really is no way i can afford anything, or have the means of traveling to england from where i live in the UK to get to anyone who's selling bicycles. allot don't do postage of there items, prefer pick up..
  • you gotta get out there and be seen you cant expect people to throw money at u on your word only
    talk to your lbs to get a cost price deal going on but no ones gonna give u anything for nowt till u prove your worth
    i see dumb people
    usually in front of me
  • You ask if there's any option - .no. All you can do is get a job and start at the bottom. How do you know you are any good? For a start you are training wrong.
  • ok. so what do i do? i'm physically up to it, i think. but cant find the cyclists... or clubs/trainers to ''prove myself to'' and i haven't even attempted to ask a company to sponsor me, it seems to rude to.
    these r the only dilemmas preventing me from going places i think... times ticking away to. because i think a cyclists professional career is over by 35 isn't it? before there not good enough. and before i'm 40 the optician said contact lenses wont be a strong enough prescription to correct my vision... time feels like its leaking away. i know i'm only 17, nearly 18, but i just want to get on with it. and ive been training for ages now, and nothing but muscle is coming out of it. and its put loads of strain my parents/friends. this is why i'm being kicked out, because i choose to cycle all day instead of helping round the house.. and doing ''my bit for the family'' well stuff that because i only live once...
    i'm just looking for really helpful advice.. ''pointers in the right direction''
    and dont tell me i need to get my eyes tested again lol:)
  • I agree with Blackhand, there are no shortcuts so get a job and earn your new bike bro
  • just gotta get out there with a club, (you say you can't get to mainland but if you're moving out anyway, go rent where you want to be) do some time trials and races and see if you are any good.

It isn't partiularly endearing to moan about you're situation and then say you NEED something like a TCR. If you're any good you'll shine through on a bog standard bike
  • mea00csf wrote:
    j

It isn't partiularly endearing to moan about you're situation and then say you NEED something like a TCR. If you're any good you'll shine through on a bog standard bike

sorry i just said the first bike model that came into my head.. any racing bike would do for me...
    but ive not been able to find any road racing bikes for under 300pound in bike stores where i live. i moved here recently to, so have no friends i know who cycle i can borrow a bike off.
  • As others have pointed out you need to present yourself more positively, or no one is going to be interested.

However assuming you are for real, here are some suggestions of things you can do:

1. Contact a local cycling club. If you dont know of one in your area you can search via the British Cycling Federation website http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... Finder.asp

or I am sure if you say where you live Forum members will suggest good local clubs.

2. Ask if anyone in your club has an old bike they might be prepared to loan you until have some money to buy your own, or maybe someone has an old frame you could do up.

3. Speak to your local bike shop - they may have or know of old bikes you could get hold of and do up.

4. Some police forces auction off stolen bikes when they can't find the owner. There can be some bargains but you need to look hard.

5. Try and get a job with a good employer. Some employers give 100% interest free loans to enable their staff to buy cycles, and others are in the cycle to work scheme.
  • 4. Some police forces auction off stolen bikes when they can't find the owner. There can be some bargains but you need to look hard.

5. Try and get a job with a good employer. Some employers give 100% interest free loans to enable their staff to buy cycles, and others are in the cycle to work scheme.[/quote]

4 and 5 i haven't tryed because i didnt even know about this, hehe:) thankyou:) il be on it tomorrow!
    does the fact i welded on 2 half foot long bits of poles to the top center part of the handle bars on my old bike seem funny to anyone? lol
    because thats how i get into a more comfortable position when trying to get streamlined etc.
    well thanks for advice, il keep popping back to this section to see if theres any more good advice:), thanks Danny
  • i think il take ColinJ's advice, it didn't seem possible until i read what he said
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12543524
    thx
  • emaichael wrote:
    ... its put loads of strain my parents/friends. this is why i'm being kicked out, because i choose to cycle all day instead of helping round the house.. and doing ''my bit for the family'' well stuff that because i only live once...

With that attitude I'd have kicked you out long ago.

emaichael wrote:
    i'm just looking for really helpful advice.. ''pointers in the right direction''

Grow up and get a job. Then you can buy a bike, join a club and start racing. If you're half as good as you think you are I'm sure you'll have sponsors beating a path to your door in no time not-tagged-smiley-10076.gif

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • sell your computer and stop your internet connection?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you've never had the chance to race or ride against other people, how do you know you are so good? Sorry to burst your bubble, but you only have to watch the no-hopers on X-factor arguing with the judges about how good they think they are when they patently aren't. The world is pull of people who only wished they'd been given a golden opportunity on a plate....if you really have the belief and talent, knuckle under, get a job and buy that bike to prove all us dissenters wrong.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    If you've never had the chance to race or ride against other people, how do you know you are so good? Sorry to burst your bubble, but you only have to watch the no-hopers on X-factor arguing with the judges about how good they think they are when they patently aren't. The world is pull of people who only wished they'd been given a golden opportunity on a plate....if you really have the belief and talent, knuckle under, get a job and buy that bike to prove all us dissenters wrong.
    thx, ok, il keep at it.
  • become a postman.

Then your shift will be over by early afternoon and you will have plenty of time to train later in the day.
    Example: http://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_royalmail ... wznnbhpmsv

You will also earn enough money to supprot youself and get a bike on finance. About £40 a month for a great bike, for example:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... eam%20Bike

An additional bonus would be that the hours you are at work you will be on a bike anyway (even if it is for 5 minutes at a time)
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    I went to the tip (council recycling centre) today. Not my local one in chavtown, but the one where all the posh people live.
    In the metal section I saw a road bike, and a couple of mtb's and a kids bike, wheels etc. Some looked in good nic too. Amazing what some people throw away.
    Worth a visit, even if only for the odd part.
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • buddha wrote:
    I went to the tip (council recycling centre) today. Not my local one in chavtown, but the one where all the posh people live.
    In the metal section I saw a road bike, and a couple of mtb's and a kids bike, wheels etc. Some looked in good nic too. Amazing what some people throw away.
    Worth a visit, even if only for the odd part.

My Dad has a pair of 27" alloy wheels (Weinmann rims, Viscount-Lambert sealed bearing hubs) rescued from a council tip. Possibly the high spot of tip visits, never found anything as good before or since.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • jonesy124 wrote:
    become a postman.

Then your shift will be over by early afternoon and you will have plenty of time to train later in the day.

You will also earn enough money to supprot youself and get a bike on finance. About £40 a month for a great bike, for example:

An additional bonus would be that the hours you are at work you will be on a bike anyway (even if it is for 5 minutes at a time)

Aye my Royal Mail Pashley bike sure does make an excellent winter training bike - weighs a bloody tonne! Pure delight to change from that to a nice light road bike....

On the point of joining Royal Mail... I've just finished for the day... at 12.30.... plenty of time for training then...........
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Guvnor299 wrote:
    jonesy124 wrote:
    become a postman.

Aye my Royal Mail Pashley bike sure does make an excellent winter training bike - weighs a bloody tonne! Pure delight to change from that to a nice light road bike....

On the point of joining Royal Mail... I've just finished for the day... at 12.30.... plenty of time for training then...........

different sport, but working for the PO helped my dad (when I was a kid!) got his half marathon time down to 75 mins. He had a driving job, but used to run up and down peoples driveways then go training in the afternoon after finishing. This stopped once he was moved to permanent days though!

The other thing you can do (and I know a few good runners who do this working in running shops....), try and get a job in your local bike shop. If you are good they'll be more than happy to help you with a good bike and training, just think what it does for trade having a local talent working for them. Plus it helps to have good riders who can give advice to customers.
  • I admire your confidence emaichael. That'll take you a long way. If you're serious I think you need to get off that island, get to the mainland, get a shtty job that pays enough for you to live somewhere and ride your bike. The big step then is to join a club and get involved in races. They'll be plenty of races on that you can enter and you can take it from there.

But you will need to be a bit more sensible. Half the story with succeeding in life is to know when to keep your head down and when to do the stuff you don't want to do. Your family may well provide you with valuable support later on in life (as they are now by giving you a roof over your head) you need to recognise that and lend your support to the family. Among other benefits It makes it alot easier to survive somewhere new if you have a supportive family that you can talk to on the phone so it'd be a good idea not to burn your bridges. Infact, rebuild them while you're still at home. Also, you'll get on in life, make friends etc if you know how to muck in with a team so get used to doing that at home. Take a deep breath and go help your ma with the washing up. You may just find life gets alot nicer.

Make a plan. Find somewhere you think you'd like to go. Have a look at jobs in the area and take steps to make a smooth transition over there which means you're up on your feet quickly. You will need to get a job, you're not going to get sponsored by anyone straight off so you need to find something that pays the bills. In the meantime, get books on cycling training and make sure you're doing the right things. You can then fit all the things you need to into your life. Don't flap about worrying that you're running out of time. Make the most of your days. Try and move a step forward to your goals each day by doing research on where you want to go/jobs/cycling clubs etc. Mark Cavendish came from the Isle of Man to make it to the top so maybe there is someone where you are who can advise you. Where exactly are you?

Life is hard, and making it as a top athlete is much harder. Good luck.
  • I admire your confidence emaichael. That'll take you a long way. If you're serious I think you need to get off that island, get to the mainland, get a shtty job that pays enough for you to live somewhere and ride your bike. The big step then is to join a club and get involved in races. They'll be plenty of races on that you can enter and you can take it from there.

But you will need to be a bit more sensible. Half the story with succeeding in life is to know when to keep your head down and when to do the stuff you don't want to do. Your family may well provide you with valuable support later on in life (as they are now by giving you a roof over your head) you need to recognise that and lend your support to the family. Among other benefits It makes it alot easier to survive somewhere new if you have a supportive family that you can talk to on the phone so it'd be a good idea not to burn your bridges. Infact, rebuild them while you're still at home. Also, you'll get on in life, make friends etc if you know how to muck in with a team so get used to doing that at home. Take a deep breath and go help your ma with the washing up. You may just find life gets alot nicer.

Make a plan. Find somewhere you think you'd like to go. Have a look at jobs in the area and take steps to make a smooth transition over there which means you're up on your feet quickly. You will need to get a job, you're not going to get sponsored by anyone straight off so you need to find something that pays the bills. In the meantime, get books on cycling training and make sure you're doing the right things. You can then fit all the things you need to into your life. Don't flap about worrying that you're running out of time. Make the most of your days. Try and move a step forward to your goals each day by doing research on where you want to go/jobs/cycling clubs etc. Mark Cavendish came from the Isle of Man to make it to the top so maybe there is someone where you are who can advise you. Where exactly are you?

Life is hard, and making it as a top athlete is much harder. Good luck.

thanks for all the advice, i read it thoroughly and understand where your coming from and i realize now what i need to do... even if i don't get along with my parents one bit... which seriously is the case il just...fake agreeing with them, and put cycling to one side for a while (well il have to cus the crank is completely shot and came off stuck to my foot lol) and il work like mad round the house etc.
    I live in the Isle of Man to. I suppose all the time ive been cycling... things have been going through my mind to much because of the long long sessions on my own ive been doing (60-90miles a day...) and so all the problems i'm having have got on top of me, and i just splashed out my problems on a forum in the hope there'd be an answer.
    well you've helped me allot, thanks, i'm going to go downstairs and apologize to my mum and see if there decision on calling the police and kicking me out by 1st of October will still stand... i'm not a bad person or anything, me and my mum just really really don't get along.
  • your a dick
    i see dumb people
    usually in front of me
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    your a dick

I thought that but held myself back from saying it..........guess I've said it now though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • i must admit your advice is brilliant... i feel allot better now. and everything doesn't seem so daunting when reading what you said. i'm focusing on getting a job, to fit around a full-time college course.. and it will pay the rent/bills hopefully.. i don't know how much that will mount up to as ive never had to do it. But whatever happens as long as i'm alive and well, il beable to cycle sometime in the future and achieve my dreams. it just felt so horrible putting all the effort in for months, and then it felt all of a sudden like i was being crippled by the world.
    but thanks for your help, i was just soooo daunted by everything for a while, and started blabbing on a forum :( sorry. well i am still daunted and underwater by everything. but now i dont care what life throws at me, and il deal with it.
    once again thanks for your advice. this shouldn't really be the place i come for it, but... it was because of cycling, and i love cycling, that everything feels like it needs to be put aside and sacrificed for it.
  • why is anyone bothering to reply to this post. The guys first names are obviously Hans Christian !!
  • everogere wrote:
    why is anyone bothering to reply to this post. The guys first names are obviously Hans Christian !!

I replied because he sounds like he might well be a mixed up teenager who needs some sound guidance. Teenage years can be difficult for many kids, particularly if you have real problems with your parents. Telling somebody that they're a "dick" when they clearly need help is not a constructive response - if this is the best some people can manage I am not surprised that there are so many teenagers out there that are cut off from society.

Full marks to Heavymental who gave a really constructive response while still puts the onus on emaichael to get his act together.

Unfortunately some of the other responses were even more childish than the original post.
  • sorry i was so... desperate sounding earlier and stuff. well i found a bike near some green recycle bins at the other side of the island where i live. it has no chain on it. but il transfer the one from my old bike onto it. hopefully its the right size and stuff.. i haven't checked cus its like miles and miles away. thankyou all, cya, il probably not come on here anymore. cus internet is being cut and stuff and il be sleeping in the park(cus its away from people and weirdo's) for about 3 days cus the Social services benefit people said ''unless your completely out of your parents home you cant claim any benefit support.
    why am i hear blabbing to strangers.. feels like it lifts burdens off my chest.
    the police station where i live said they haven't had any bicycles in yet for a long time. and they normally get collected. and don't have any large enough because its normally really young kids ones they get in.
    bye, thx for advice.
  • jonesy124 wrote:
    become a postman.

ive asked, and i need to be over 18 and beable to work hours during college times, i really cant... as i wont get the qualifications i rly desperately need.
  • in the wire
    in the wire Posts: 79
    edited December 2007
    emaichael wrote:

ive asked, and i need to be over 18 and beable to work hours during college times, i really cant... as i wont get the qualifications i rly desperately need.

Open University for the qualifications.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?A02

You could earn your money in the morning, train in the afternoon, and study in the evenings.