Do you listen to music when you cycle?

jonesy124
jonesy124 Posts: 205
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
I was just wondering how many people listen to an mp3 player when cycling on the road? Do people think it is dangerous to restrict one of your senses when in a vulnerable environment?

Comments

• Speaking from a rural perspective, I like to hear the wide wheeled tractors zooming up single lane roads and the noise of a car behind, waiting to pass at a safe part of the road. Also, when you are riding along beautiful scenery the sound is part of the deal.

That said I do like the och-aye-pod when i am running :?
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    I am doing 50 miles a week or so, most of it on cycle paths.

I am frantically trying to improve my Spanish, so I listen to my "Learn Spanish" CD's when I am on the Cycle paths.

On the subject of listening on the move, can anyone recomend any headphones for use when cycling? i have some Sony back of the head ones which produce a lot of wind noise when moving fast(-ish,) and some in ear ones with bits that clip over the ear, but these keep popping out.

Andy
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    When I am commuting into work in london I would definitely agree with Jonesy - your hearing is another useful sense to avoid becoming part of a car sandwich.

But for the early morning training rides at the weekend its Ipod and shouty music all the way
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Ipod most days for me on the daily commute, nice Cheshire countryside so no major roads.

I always have the volume at such a level that I can still vaguely hear my surroundings... :D
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Magibob Shure ec2's... cracking pair of earphones and a lifetime guarantee will set you back around 50 sobs.. I tell a lie..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CE1UO/ref=nosim/accessleedsco567-21
    bargain

I cycle with an ipod and aforementioned earphones, I have the volume low enough so I can hear the engines when they're close etc, but I don't really need to hear when cycling in all honesty, I do a lifesaver when altering my trajectory and the rest of the time I'm looking forward to see who's trying to get in my way
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • the senheiser in ear canal headphones are really good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Ear- ... 242&sr=8-1

Cheap, good quality, stay in your ear and don't interfere with a helmet
  • cj504
    cj504 Posts: 110
    if i'm on my own i'll almost always have my ipod on. I really don't notice a difference, i still seem to be able to hear approaching cars/tractors and if anything the headphones stop the wind 'whistling' around your ears that you get without.
    Thresholds, 60-80%, HRM's...I'll just go for a ride
  • saif
    saif Posts: 100
    I agree with aberfeldyweather , I tend to listen and enjoy the sound around me , keeps me alert.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Night-riding at about 5 a.m., as sleep-deprivation begins to kick in. Or on the dreaded turbo-trainer.
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    i listen to an mp3 player i can still hear the traffic had no problems yet
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    I have only the left earphone in, with the right tucked down my top. This way I can listen to the music whilst being able to hear the cars coming up behind me with my right ear. Works a treat.
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    I quite often listen to the radio whilst riding get strange look if listening to Chris Moyles in the morning, riding along laughing like a looney. :lol::lol:
    Justice for the 96
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Being a sound engineer, I base a lot of my perception on my hearing, so I would never get out on the streets with headphones. I've tried them on the open roads, but the wind noise gets me irritated. You end up having to crank the volume way too high if you're holding any kind of hard pace. Plus, I also like to listen to the surroundings. It's part of the "getting the hell out of the city" experience. i tried the one earplug thing but you really can't hear your music much, and you can't hear traffic much. You do look like a pro with a race radio, though.

My solution is to do my pre-ride eating, dressing, stretching and lubing while blasting the music that reflects the attitude I want on the bike that day. It stays in my head all along and I can just loop a part of the song in my head to take my mind off the pain in hard sessions.
  • I go through phases. Sometimes I like the sounds around me and sometimes it's nice to stick on some music. There's something good about listening while cycling through central London, although I admit it'd probably be safer not to ....

I've had the Etymotic ER 4P in-ear ones on my iPod for the past 4 years or so. Not the cheapest (about £140 I think) but the quality is excellent.
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    As i normally ride alone, i take my mp3 with me everytime.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    I do it, with phones deep in my ear canal. They block out everything, even sirens. Planning to fit a mirror. I find music helps me concentrate better. I look further up the road and plan ahead more. Traffic noise is more stressful and distracting than music.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • wors
    wors Posts: 90
    most of the time, but set the volume then i can hear when thee is a car behind me
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Virtually all the time when on a mountain bike, only ocassionally when on my roadie.

When I do on my roadie I usually only stick the left plug in my ear.

I got some nice Sennheiser in-ear plugs as I found the default plugs that came with my Nano to be a load of toss.
  • Hi jonesy124
    your myspace makes muuuch better reading than this LAME thread
    some bikes and sheep and stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16682367@N00/
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Trance. One of the joys of listening to music is the occasional perfect timing matching the tune to the situation. Favourite so far is hearing "You fly like an angel" at the exact moment of reaching top of L'Alpe.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob wrote:
    Trance. One of the joys of listening to music is the occasional perfect timing matching the tune to the situation. Favourite so far is hearing "You fly like an angel" at the exact moment of reaching top of L'Alpe.

Songs, song titles or lyrics appropriate to cycling moments surely must be worth a thread all of their own! I came a right cropper on a slippery wooden footbridge [1] during a 'cross race on Sunday afternoon - Maximo Park's "Now I'm All Over The Shop" sums up the episode to a T :wink:

David

[1] Not the only one to do so either. A good few riders like me never checked the weather forecast, banked on it NOT raining (oops) & started with tyres pumped up nice and hard. Still, at least I was on knobbly 'cross tyres not semi-slicks like those Tufo diamond-tread jobs....
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • my brother shouted at me for wearing some. He thinks that I am putting myself in danger :roll:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Hi jonesy124
    your myspace makes muuuch better reading than this LAME thread

what does the inside of Jonsey's butt look like then?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    jonesy124 wrote:
    Do people think it is dangerous to restrict one of your senses when in a vulnerable environment?

How can YOU possibly say that phrase with your totally debauched lifestyle :lol:

I would never listen to music when riding, in order to hear whats coming up from behind, but I quite happily sing to myself and use it to get my peddling speed right.

My personal favourite is Kaiser Chiefs phrase "Oh my God I can't believe it, I've never been this far away from home" from Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruby which I reckon gets me peddling at 90 bpm with 3 peddles every second ( where the beat is underlined in the line )
  • I am amazed that people think it's safe to ride listening to their ipod. I find it hard enough to hear the cars coming up behind me as it is and don't like turning my head any more than I have to.
  • jonesy124 wrote:
    I was just wondering how many people listen to an mp3 player when cycling on the road? Do people think it is dangerous to restrict one of your senses when in a vulnerable environment?
    On the Kettler, at home, I am now working my way through The Sopranos Series III. 8)

Out on the road I use my W850i. I constantly check traffic as a matter of course so I don't feel it intrudes on my safety to any great extent. I love the fact that I can indulge myself in one to four hours of non-stop music ~ it's wonderful.

Top tracks on the LeMond are the latest offerings from Manu Chao, New Model Army and Amy Winehouse :D
    And yet another self-indulgent blog
    My Rhythm of Life is syncopated
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    jonesy124 wrote:
    my brother shouted at me for wearing some. He thinks that I am putting myself in danger :roll:

You get this reaction a lot, especially in America. What do they know? 100 to 1 they've never tried it. I think it makes me safer. Best to turn up the volume so you can't hear them.

This is also a good method for dealing with people who shout 'Get a Helmet', or 'Get Off the Road'.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • According to a traffic officer friend of mine, it is actually theoretically illegal to be in control of ANY vehicle on the road - powered or unpowered - with headphones in BOTH ears. The only reason I asked him about it was that it was put in the safety guide within a couple of the MP3 player's instruction booklets that I bought. The same goes for mobile phones with twin ear phones. He said that most officers will overlook it unless you are involved in an accident or are riding erratically - i.e. weaving all over the road or mounting and dismounting kerbs to avoid traffic lights etc. He is also a keen cyclist (mainly MTB) as well.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    I opt for Podcasts me.
    Rich
  • in traffic in town i'll say no way. thre's too much going on. on a longr ride I always do it but only on ear and on the left ear (pavement side) over ear and under th helmet straps so that you can tak it out without loosing it.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business