Pain from Achilles tendon area

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
Hi all

Ive just completed a 5 day tour through Scottish highlands on my touring bike. The last two days were somewhat blighted by pain from my achilles tendon area. It started on the right side then both feet . The bike is excactly the same set up as my LEJOG trip as far as saddle height and cleat position goes yet i didnt get any pain during that trip. The only differences i can think of is i am carrying a bit more (tent etc) and i havent trained a smuch as i did previously although i commute 20 miles every day. So ive no idea what could be causing this can anyone give any clues as to what causes this ?

cheers
MG
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• Hi

I had Achillies tendon problems some years ago. My GP referred me to a physiotherapist who gave me a very painful series of massages and a program of corrective exercises, then strengthening exercises. I haven't had trouble since.

His diagnosis was that my Achillies tendon was twisting due to the fact that my right foot was pronating -- I had a very low arch and my foot tended to point toe out when pedaling -- and this twising affect caused a strain.

I think it's very unusual to strain both tendons. The first thing you need to do is apply ice to the injury and rest it as much as possible ; then gently stretch the tendon back into full flexibility. This will likely take some time and I'd suggest you visit a physio, asap.

Bin