Group rides

wine9555
wine9555 Posts: 97
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
I recently joined a cycling group.I ride alone almost 100% of the time I am somewhat of a speed nut and some people dont like to ride that hard.
My question is what is the proper technique for riding in a group as far as who and when you take turns to lead and drafting other bikes safely.
I am going to ask other members before I ride with them but didnt want to sound like a total idiot

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    There's no easy answer to this question without knowing what type of group it is you're riding with. If it's a hard training bash with a load of racing guys, the etiquette (spoken or otherwise) will be very different from that on a general club run or a touring club's social ride. If you're really a 'speed nut' then make sure the pace of the group is going to suit you and:

1) Make sure you ride smoothly and in a straight line at all times.
    2) Avoid using your brakes too much because there may be someone close behind you.
    3) Position yourself 'tidily' - that is, close to the wheel in front and level beside the other ride in your 'pair'.
    4) Watch and listen and take your cue about changing round from the others there.
    5) Don't ride off and beat all the others on your first ride - it won't endear you to those who think they're the fastest in the group!

Some groups will have a regular pattern of swapping riders on the front, but I've never come across a traditional-club club-run where anyone seemed to be worrying too much about who is riding where. Often the riders who know they're a bit stronger than others will happily go to the front and the rest can do as they please.

Ruth
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    What sort of group is it ? If you've joined a club that races there should be rides to suit different levels of abilities, consider moving to a faster group. If however your riding away from the local hard chaingang, congratulations and I guess we'll be seeing your name in the comic's results section soon :wink:
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Ask them about the hand signals they use - not not those ones! :wink: Just in case theirs differ much from the standard ones - so you will know what they mean. In case you don't already know the warning 'Car up!' generally means one behind you and 'Car down!' means one coming towards you. Best to ask the club about drafting, turns or 'through and off' as it will differ depending on the dynamics of the group (whether or not you have a ride leader, how many people there are etc) and the speed it's doing.