4 x months out due to accident

ftt
ftt Posts: 133
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
Hi all
Just wondered has anyone had to take 4 months or more out due to a accident/injury.I was hit by a truck out training in June and have suffered swelling to my back and SI joints plus other injurys. But I may get the go ahead to start in October. I did 8/10 hrs aweek training with road racing and TTs being my main sport prior to this.
If there is anyone out there who has been in this position who could advise as to getting back on the bike, would be great to hear from you cheers ftt

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    My advice is firstly make sure that you are physically able to cycle so visit the doctor and have this confirmed (which I am sure you will :) )

Anytime I have been off the bike for a while (and that includes once being hit by a car) and start back on it, I just listen to my body and start back gradually, mainly on flat routes, building it up week by week until a reasonable base level of fitness has been reached before I start to push myself. I don't race and have no race targets so I see no need to kill myself though your goals may dictate other methods. Hopefully others more qualified will be along to give more structured advice.
  • Think in terms of how long you've been off, where you were then training wise and that it should take at least as long to get back to somewhere like where you were in a gradual, measured progression.
    ie start in october and aim to be doing 8-10 hours by after christmas? 2-3 hours per week end of october, 4-5 end of november, 6-7 end of december etc. If all goes well you could start doing hard efforts towards the end of this time.
    It sounds slow but it will allow you continued recovery, an excellent base and very low risk of setbacks - assuming you are fit to ride to start with :)
    Good luck
  • ftt
    ftt Posts: 133
    thanks for the advise it all helps cheers ftt