Targets for coming year

nolf
nolf Posts: 1,287
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
Looking at targets for next year and so far I'm thinking of

TTing-1) Entering some, 2) completing a 10, 25, 50 and 100 mile TT-
What do you have to do to get ranked regionally? Not bothered about what rank just would be cool to get ranked :P

Sportives- Silvers for Dragon Ride and a few other sportives

Road Racing- I'm not great at but I'd like to try and get 20/30 points next season (move me up from Newbie CAT 4 to CAT 3).

I've got a basic idea of yearly schedules and training, but anyone got more concrete training regimes.

At Uni i'm thinking of this as a weekly plan for my 1st term.
Monday- Rest day
Tuesday- 2 hr tempo ride with 2*20 min intervals
Wednesday- Club Ride- (but take it easy)
Thursday- 2hr Tempo ride 80-85% max hr
Friday- Rest day
Weekend- 200km Audax on 1 day, 50 mile TT the other day

Then entering any local 10's just for the practice and if there are road races, substitute my 50mile TT at the weekend for them.

Is that good or should I be leaving speed work till later on in the year?

I know some of you are amazing at TT's so any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
"I hold it true, what'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost;
Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson

Comments

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    nolf wrote:
    Monday- Rest day
    Friday- Rest day
    Things have changed for the worse since I was at uni :roll:

:wink:
  • nolf wrote:

What do you have to do to get ranked regionally? Not bothered about what rank just would be cool to get ranked :P

Road Racing- I'm not great at but I'd like to try and get 20/30 points next season (move me up from Newbie CAT 4 to CAT 3).

I've got a basic idea of yearly schedules and training, but anyone got more concrete training regimes.

Monday- Rest day
    Friday- Rest day

Then entering any local 10's just for the practice and if there are road races, substitute my 50mile TT at the weekend for them.

I know some of you are amazing at TT's so any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

There are two competitions runnig with a "ranking" that encompass these distances:

1. Welsh points champs - to qualify you simply have to ride the WCA 25, 50, 100, 12 hour and Hill climb. If you miss an event, you simply drop down the field, as you score points based upon your final position in each event. Only the welsh championship events count towards your score, so if you miss the for example the WCA 50 then you cannot qualify points from a clubs open 50 event.

2. BAR - your best average speed is taken from 3 distances: 50, 100, and 12 hour for men. Any event that is organised by the South Wales District counts (dont forget this includes events porganised by CC Topp and Ross CC both of whom are affiliated to S Wales DC. Remember its the best times for each distance from the entire season that count, so you have nmore than one bite at the cherry (unlike the points comp which is based upon the welsh championships events only).

Word of advice, if you get caught up in the BAR and Champs, it becomes somewhat addictive and you will develop obsessive compulsive type symptoms. Get a CTT handbook as soon as possible at the start of the season, the you can plan your training around each of them, as they are spread from beginning of May through to the end of September.

All of the info you need on both is on the welsh cycling assoc website:
    www.welshcycling.org
    Possibly the most important site you will ever visit..
    Results and start sheets are also to be found here: www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk which also has BBAR (british competition) results, plus news, start sheets and results of most national events.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    nolf wrote:
    Monday- Rest day
    Friday- Rest day
    Weekend- 200km Audax on 1 day, 50 mile TT the other day!

Is this your first year in uni? With all the drinking you need to do you'll struggle to fit it all in. I only found time for 2 training sessions and a sunday match when I played rugby in my first and second years.

I've got a couple of friends are really into this cycling lark, and I don't remember them doing more than 3 proper sessions a week - Wednesday and both days at the weekend. They both do Engineering like me though, so the lecture/practical load is higher than a slack subject like english or history. What subject are you doing?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    A (semi) slack subject, and although that seems a lot it's only 9 hours + Saturday.

I'm doing History With Economics @ York and so have very few lectures and lots of private study time. I'm assuming I'm going to be doing about 35/40 hours a week of work but I'm gonna make sure that I keep all that to the weekdays, I like to get up early so I should be able to keep up with both.

I'm not a super heavy drinker (not enough cash :()

Also as I'm going to be at York Uni for most of the year would I be better off entering the events there or back in Wales during the holidays?

Any hints on whether that kind of training over winter is right would be appreciated!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Depending whether my application to the marines is succesful or not, my targets are:-

Complete both the Ryedale Rumble and White Rose Classic big routes (hopefully in Gold standard :wink: )

Start TTing/Racing. Was meant to do it this year but kept going out on my bike all day instead of waiting till 7pm to do a 10miler.

Possibly do the London-Paris, or maybe La Marmotte or something.

Save up and buy a very nice bike (this is probably the hardest of the goals :lol: )
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,134
    nolf wrote:

Monday- Rest day
    Friday- Rest day

When are you going to get your sh*gging in then? (I see little point going to university if you're not going to do that!). :wink: