Mid-Sussex Area Bike Rides

stevekaye10
stevekaye10 Posts: 13
edited June 2008 in MTB rides
Hi,

Anyone in the Burgess Hill area that knows of any good off-road rides? I have found a few decent bridleways around Hurst and Hassocks but nothing much else.

Cheers

Comments

• TonyS
    TonyS Posts: 104
    There is not a lot around Burgess Hill, especially after it's rained. Ditchling common is a good starting point but heading either to the Downs or west to places like St Leonards forest is the best bet.

Happy to give you a tour of the area (I live a few miles east of BH).
  • Hi Tonys,

Thanks for the offer and I would defo like to go out for a reccy. I must warn you though, that I am no pro at this game and I would hate for me to be holding you up and/or wasting your time.

To put you in the picture, I'm a 16 stone newbie and can manage 20 miles (ish) and moderate climbs (at a slow pace). Done the beacon a couple of times (with a few stops!!).

Cheers,
    Steve
  • lego
    lego Posts: 769
    TonyS, stevekaye10, I'd like to tag along if I could and you don't mind?, I'm only up the road in Bolnore village (but lived in B/Hill most of my life). TonyS what about the muddy arse ride this weekend that you've organised ( http://z6.invisionfree.com/Sussex_Muddy ... owtopic=98 ). Stevekaye10 could you make this?, Ian.
  • Sat or Sun? I'll be up for it defo.
  • Sorry, the 9th it says, So Sunday. Can I meet you guys beforehand, or just turn up at Wiv Green?
  • lego
    Sunday 10:30 if I've got it right. I think this link has more info ( http://sussexmuddyarse.wordpress.com/20 ... -9-sep-07/ ). is it ok to tag along Tony?
  • TonyS
    Of course just turn up. This ride is for beginners who want to sample MA before committing to joining the monthly ride.

It's just a loop from though West Wood onto Ditchling common and back but a good intro to the possiblities in the area plus a chance to meet some new faces & bikes.

c u 10:30 Wivelsfield Green car park.
  • lego
    Thanks Tony, see you all there.
  • Hi,

I live in HH & tend to do the bridleways out of HH down through Ashenground Wood & then the ones across Rocky Lane & Issacs Lane & then back into HH. Not overly exciting & involves a bit of road & is about 15 mile loop.

Last weekend did a 26 mile route that went up to Tilgate Forest towards Horsham, back down to Slaugham, Borde Hill then home. There is a great stretch through Cowdray Forest heading for Tilgate where you can go fast over the bumpy trails. I cycled through Tilgate to work on Monday & found lots of good tracks through Tilgate & the locals are busy building stuff!

For better routes you need to get on the downs round Brighton or a bit further afield such as Alfriston.

I wouldn't have minded doing the MuddyArse ride on Sunday but I'm already committed to something else.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • TonyS
    St Leonards is excellent for singletrack, Tilgate can get muddy especially if the motocycles have been out (I think there are several events held during the year).

If anybody is interested I'll be at the St Leonards forest Roosthole car park for 11am tomorrow (8/9) going out for about 2 hours and happy for people to tag along. It's a singletrack ride and avoids most of the fireroads.
  • Tony, I'd have liked to have joined you especially since I don't know St Leonards but Saturday mornings are no good for me as I take my little lad to his activities. Whereabouts is Roosthole? Maybe some other time.
  • Great ride today, learned alot about the local area. Big thanks to Muddy@rse and Tonys. Looking forward to the next one.
  • TonyS
    Anybody want to get out this coming Saturday (22nd)?
  • Yeah, depends on when. What time & where?
  • lego
    Yep I've got a whole day off work (lucky me :lol: ). Where you thinking of going?
  • TonyS
    If the rain holds off a loop to the South Downs and back. The trails are dry right now and apart from one climb and a few rough sections it's a pleasant 25km ride taking in the area to the South of Ditchling and a short section of the SDW with stunning views over the Weald. It's more representative of the next MA ride if you are thinking joining the next one although with less climbing.

Can start either at Wivelsfield Green car park or the playing field across from Wivelsfield station if it's more convient.

11am is a good time for me.
  • lego
    Tony, I can't do Sat morning. No matter how much foot stapping I do I've still got to go to tesco's :roll: . Are you out on Sunday? Mudslinger, what about you. Coming out?
  • I've got to take my little lad to football on Sat morning & he has just told me he wants me to take him swimming on Sun. I think I can I make Sat @ 11 or possibly Sunday afternoon?
  • TonyS
    Oh the joys of children and family commitments! Saturday afternoon sound any better - say 1pm out of Wivelsfield/Worlds End?

PM me
  • lego
    Sorry Tony, just got my daughter off the computer ( note to self - get her a lap top! ).
    Thanks for the offer but I was forced to go 'into town' and eat my body weight in cheese straws. I'm going to Bedgebury tomorrow morning to burn them off.
    How long does it take you to do that loop around ditchling common at night?
  • TonyS
    No worries.

As long as it's been dry the West Wood, Ditchling route takes about 50 minutes day or night. I tend to extend it going down to Plumpton and turn back after a pint at the Jolly Farmer which makes for a reasonable night ride.

Sunday 30th is the next MA ride, East Sussex this time. Let me know if you or Steve want a lift.
  • lego
    I would have liked to have done the 30th but I'm doing a 12 hour day shift at work. Shift work sucks :cry: .
    I'm going to have a go at the ditchling loop at night though (not next week - late shift).
    I just hope my halogens last !.
  • Kids eh! Thats why I often go out on my own like I did this afternoon.

Ian - as you live in Bolnore village can you get your shears out & sort out that bridleway from Chownes Mead that goes past Bolnore through to Ashenground. Much appreciated!
  • I've got this Sat (9th) afternoon free. Is anyone up for a ride?
  • lego
    Sorry Mudslinger I'm on a 12 hour night shift Sat night so I'll be in no fit state. What about next Sunday the 17th Feb. Tony S, Stevekaye, any one else ?
  • TonyS
    Sounds good for Sunday week - 10:30 for a 11:00 roll out of Wivelsfield Parish Hall car park sound ok?
  • I can't do that Sunday - daughter has got a gymnastics competition. Be in trouble if I miss that :lol:
  • lego
    Yep, sounds good Tony. 10.30 at Wivelsfield. Are there any restictions because of the blue tongue in H/H?
    Sorry you can't make it Mudslinger, is anyone else coming? Any of the Muddy arse chaps? Are we going to do the loop you took us on last time Tony? Perhaps extend it just a little bit? Ian.
  • Yeah, shame I can't make. Need to find some new routes & new riding buddies as the person I ride with is unreliable due to family committments :lol: