Training using aero bars

Richie G
Richie G Posts: 283
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
Recently did my 1st 10 TT- really enjoyed it so decided to invest in some clip-on aero bars. Have tentatively tried them over the last couple of days- was pleasently surprised that i could achieve quite a flat position without lowering the stem. I've decided to enter a couple of events at the end of september, so figured i've got month to try them. How much do people look to spend riding in their TT position? So far i've felt ok apart from feeling more of a stretch in my hamstrings and the seat feeling rather more uncomfortable. Do i need to consider tilting/moving the seat forward to accomodate the more streched out position? Also, is it best to ride a steady pace when first learning a new position, rather than using it just for faster efforts? Sorry- lots of questions i know!

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Well, nobody else seems to be diving in to answer this one so..............
    Richie G wrote:
    How much do people look to spend riding in their TT position?
    I think that if you really want to optimise your performance then you should spend as much time as possible riding and training in your TT position. Training adaptions are highly position-specific. Having said that, though, I think you'll find most UK amateur time-triallists don't spend a great deal of time on tri-bars. Many put them on for races and take them off again immediately after. Those who have lean, mean, racing machines probably aren't getting them wet and muddy training out on the open road too often either. However, the really top guys probably have a spare bike set up identically, or maybe have a bike on a turbo set up the same so that they can train in their racing position very frequently.
    So far i've felt ok apart from feeling more of a stretch in my hamstrings and the seat feeling rather more uncomfortable. Do i need to consider tilting/moving the seat forward to accomodate the more streched out position?
    Testers often tilt their saddle ever so slightly down to relieve the pressure from the nose of the saddle. As for the forward movement though, it depends on many things - your dimensions, the bike, your flexibility, your preference.
    Also, is it best to ride a steady pace when first learning a new position, rather than using it just for faster efforts? Sorry- lots of questions i know!
    The more time in that position the better, but if you're going to race then I'd say the faster efforts were the most critical.

Ruth
    www.rutheyles.co.uk/
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    Thanks for that! I've got a few weeks to try things out- will try tilting the seat a little. Don't want to change too much- have finally got a set up that doesn't hurt my knee!

Cheers
    Rich
  • Richie

I started time trialling last year and fitted clip ons after a couple.

I left them on all the time. I found I preferred the position anyway. I've only taken them off for the winter to stop me riding every ride as a time trial, which isn't great training really.
  • The article on TT positioning here may help riders starting out with TTing:
    http://www.cyclefitcentre.com/further%20reading.htm

There's some other good stuff in there, particularly for women.
  • That's a really interesting article. Have been trying clip ons for the last 3 weeks- have found that when i get into a rhythm i can maintain good speed, although i struggle in that position if i have to strain to stay on top of a gear. Seems even more important to maintain a good cadence. Have generally found that my thighs and backside feel it more in TT position- after reading the article wonder if i'm slightly too strecthed out? Not that i've got long to experiment, first 25 on Saturday!

Rich
  • mr-ed
    mr-ed Posts: 130
    I read somewhere to drop a frame size on your TT bike. As you are streched out drop the frame size stops this so you may not be able to stop feeling streched out.

I've never done a time trail or riden a TT bike so I maybe talking rubbish!