Cadence

wine9555
wine9555 Posts: 97
I recently upgraded my bike computer to one that shows cadence.I was wondering if there is a certain range of cadence that is optimal for agressive high speed riding.I have only used the computer 5-6 times but like the option and am looking for a target range.

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Use a cadence that gives the best speed without wrecking your knees? Many think 90rpm is a good compromise between speed, bloodflow and responsive riding. Some would suggest faster, I suspect few would suggest slower. I think that training at different cadences than the one you feel most comfortable with allows you a broader repertoire of muscle use but too slow - 60?- will do damage and too fast- 120+ -will be ineffeicient
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    I really struggle with cadence. I've found that my natural, comfortable cadence is around 80 although I'm always reminding myself to turn the cranks faster. At around 90+ I get pains in my knees, hips and lower back which I'm sure shouldn't be the case!
    Still breathing.....
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Around about 100rpm is comfortable for me.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    hambones wrote:
    I really struggle with cadence. I've found that my natural, comfortable cadence is around 80 although I'm always reminding myself to turn the cranks faster. At around 90+ I get pains in my knees, hips and lower back which I'm sure shouldn't be the case!
    then 90 is clearly not for you :)
  • Cadance is personal and people will adopt different speeds. I also find my cadance changes depending on the ride. On a 10 mile TT I will average about 105-110. On a century ride I will be on about 85-90. And on a steep hill, about 55!

The best thing to do is keep an eye on your cadance and relate it to how you feel and perform under different conditions. You can then start experimenting with different speeds.