5 day challenge

the ferry
the ferry Posts: 258
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
5 days without alcohol,sugar,caffine etc. just plenty of water fresh fruit and vegatables or chicken breast very simply grilled i.e. no sauces or nowt.
nice glass of red tonight match of the day then go for it tomorow. spent a lot of time having a pop at smokers let's see how long i last.

any takers?

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    What do you get at the end of the 5 days?

Tried something similar a few years back. The main thing I noticed was that I felt less tiered after a few days. I guess the alcohol and caffeine stopped fighting each other. I didn't last very long though.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    the ferry wrote:
    5 days without alcohol,sugar,caffine etc. SNIP
    any takers?
    What's the etc bit - otherwise I'd have no problems as I am currently not 'using' booze, sugar, coffiene during teh week anyway :wink:
  • the ferry
    well i was thinking of processed foods of any kind from crispy pancakes to flapjacks (homer style arghhhh at this point).

etc would also be foods generally thought of as 'good' such as wholemeal pasta, bread and cereals. No flavoured water, milk or concentrated fruit juice, you get the idea.

Point being to give your whole system a break :D
  • I'm into doing this- cold turkey on the cappuccinos should be an interestin concept!

So thats the diety stuff sorted are we gona sort out a minimum mileage for the 5 days and maybe keep a diary for perfomance etc? Or maybe just ride and keep a log?

Starting from when?(just so I can cap load before the amnesty!!)

Gats
  • the ferry
    had a very weak attempt last monday, weakness was.....................not lager..............not toast with butter.............or even chocolate but...................................tea!

realised you need to plan a bit, loads of pea pods and a selection of nuts to chomp on for example. and a good dose of motivation this is a tough week (5 days)

don't think i'll go mad on the miles, just doesn't seem a sensible combination.

i'm easy on dates starting on a bank holiday maybe not the best?
  • whens the bank holiday? I'm in Canada at the moment and have just been given a new diet plan aswell so should tie in nicely!

Tea cravings should be fine - Rooiboos caffeine free! Oh yeah! Can we have decaf coffee?

Reckon I'll stick to my regular riding of between 24-40 miles a day and try to stick to a cal controlled diet.

Let me know when and we'll get started!

Gats
  • the ferry
    Can't decide on things such as fruit teas, brown rice or porridge made with fruit juice or water.
    The idea was nothing from a packet.
    But putting these on the 'banned list' and allowing chicken breast would take some explaining.
    My intention was to get a large tupperware thingy and fill it with fruit and veg, that's it, as raw as poss.
  • right I'm ready lets do this thing. I have a bout 3-4lb to drop in a month so coupled with riding a detoxification kind of thing should help push me over to my goal weight - and who knows I may even get better at riding :D

Gats
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    right I'm ready lets do this thing. I have a bout 3-4lb to drop in a month so coupled with riding a detoxification kind of thing should help push me over to my goal weight - and who knows I may even get better at riding :D

Gats
    uh uh :!:
  • whats that mean :?:

Gats
  • the ferry
    Ok, decided on monday 3rd of september, off work mon/tues so will stock up as much as poss from good old fruit and veg shop, remember them? real smells and paper bags, fruit. Vegatables with real soil on!

Let's get it on.
  • If you dont race, then what else is there after weight loss / general health that cycling offers..?? Unless you are training/(for)/racing racing, then eat what the hell you want and just ride it off. Stop this foodie nonsense now please or move it to cakestop, it has no place here!
  • c'mon Steve don't take yourself so seriously. i do race and what's wrong with having a short break from all the crap we blindly eat and drink every day?

see it as interesting challenge!
    will you feel better?
    can you do it?
    what things will you really miss?
    imagine that first beer on friday night? :P
  • the ferry wrote:
    c'mon Steve don't take yourself so seriously. i do race and what's wrong with having a short break from all the crap we blindly eat and drink every day?

see it as interesting challenge!
    will you feel better?
    can you do it?
    what things will you really miss?
    imagine that first beer on friday night? :P

Which is exactly what I meant!! My tapering for tomorrows 12hr involved several pints of guinness and magners last night, a doughnut this afternoon, and some chicken and rice tonight. I've given up portion control, on the basis that more riding will simply burn it all off, with the added benefit that I (in theory) will get faster too :D
    You're right though, no harm in taking a break from crap, but it can get s bit too serious!
  • well 4 days in and things couldn't be better feel amazing full of energy and clarity of thought.

Had to have brown rice for carbs and had some fresh tuna tonight.

not faster on the bike but do feel fitter and stronger
    and funnily enough do not miss anything at all.