need a coach

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
Hi,

I need a coach! Question is: how can I find one?

The obvious answer is: go to the BCF website and click on 'Find a coach'. Problem is of course that there's no info about any of the dozens of entries, just names and phone numbers. Not much use to me. Probably not much use to anyone.

Anyone know of any with websites? I know that Dave Lloyd has a site but I doubt he'd want me. Also Dave Le Grys which someone posted details of a few weeks ago here. Any others? Any personal recommendations?

All replies will be very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Andy
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Andy

Did you see this thread about coaches from a few days ago?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12540454
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    thx hugo!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • vermooten wrote:
    Hi,

I need a coach! Question is: how can I find one?

The obvious answer is: go to the BCF website and click on 'Find a coach'. Problem is of course that there's no info about any of the dozens of entries, just names and phone numbers. Not much use to me. Probably not much use to anyone.

Anyone know of any with websites? I know that Dave Lloyd has a site but I doubt he'd want me. Also Dave Le Grys which someone posted details of a few weeks ago here. Any others? Any personal recommendations?

All replies will be very much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Andy

There is also the ABCC site, www.abcc.co.uk

Apart from the two above, there's Ruth Eyles who posts on this site (www.rutheyles.co.uk) i think that's the correct address for her (just find one of her posts), and of course ourselves Richard Stern Training www.cyclecoach.com

We have 7 coaches at RST and coach/work with riders of *ALL* abilities from weekend warriors up to world class, and riders in the TdF. Please feel free to give me a shout on ric@cyclecoach.com or +44 (0) 5601 426633

Cheers
    Ric
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Andy,

It will also be worth you having a conversation with my coach, John Capelin. I can recommend John's coaching services and you can contact him through his website - http://www.sports-coaching.com.

I'm always amazed at how few responses and recommendations are posted every time this question is asked... :?
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Eddy S wrote:
    I'm always amazed at how few responses and recommendations are posted every time this question is asked... :?
    Why amazed, Eddy? Because you think there are lots of people out there who are being successfully coached, who are keeping quiet about it?

Ruth
    www.rutheyles.co.uk/
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Why amazed, Eddy? Because you think there are lots of people out there who are being successfully coached, who are keeping quiet about it?

Ruth
    www.rutheyles.co.uk/
    Spot on Ruth, that's exactly what I think. You, Ric, John, Legro, Dave Lloyd and all of the other coaches would not be or stay in business if you were doing a bad job.

I'm just amazed or should that be bemused, that more of your collective clients don't praise your services when the coaching works and goals/results are achieved.

I guess some people either don't want to give/share the credit or give away the secret of their performance and/or success :wink:
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Eddy S wrote:
    Spot on Ruth, that's exactly what I think. You, Ric, John, Legro, Dave Lloyd and all of the other coaches would not be or stay in business if you were doing a bad job.

I'm just amazed or should that be bemused, that more of your collective clients don't praise your services when the coaching works and goals/results are achieved.
    Well, personally, I haven't got a large client base and those I do have are busy fitting training into hectic lives. I don't think there's a shortage of happy customers but I think possibly many of them are not active forum readers. You wouldn't need to post questions on a training forum if you're getting good advice elsewhere would you?
    I guess some people either don't want to give/share the credit or give away the secret of their performance and/or success :wink:
    I think there's probably a lot of truth in that!

Ruth
    www.rutheyles.co.uk/
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    The reason you don't see many replies is that successful riders don't waste their time looking at/posting on internet forums all day long, they're out riding their bikes!!
  • If you are oop north then there is Peter Read. I have had a very good experience with him. Not your £100 a month minute-by-minute plan type and more small fee for one off test, assessment and plan with pay-as-you-go for return visits (I think he is £25 per hour, which is VFM believe me)

Runs a first rate race team (team Swift - Allsports) and has coached some big names (Kevin Dawson springs to mind.)

No website at the moment but he can be contacted via ABCC site. He is very, very good and amazing value. Took me from a 10 pb of 27 minutes to a long 21 over one winter and one early season. 2 visits and a total of about 130 quid on coaching. I had to work my arse off too mind :wink:
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    where abouts dya live mate?