hangovers - to ride or not to ride?

jonesy124
jonesy124 Posts: 205
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
I have a hangover this morning and at 7am I was condsidering cycling to work (as i usually do) in order to perk me up. In the end i opted for another hour in bed and a lift to work.

Should I have cycled? Would I be feeling better now if I had, or would I have passed out in the saddle?

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ive cycled with many a hangover all it does is slow you down and make you feel grotty at the time. But you will sweat the alcohol out quicker so you will feel better. Personally i'd of done what you did but if it was a sunday morning/lunctime i'd of been out on my bike sweating it out
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Tricky one, I guess it partly depends on whether you feel you are fit to ride, or were still under the influence of alcohol?

If not, then i reckon the exercise/fresh air, and consuming water along the way would have done you the world of good.

I had a few beers last night, to cautiously celebrate getting the keys to our next house, and was a little the worse for wear this morning, however a gentle ride into work in the sunshine was spot on, and I feel vastly more awake than I did first thing :D

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jonesy124
    i feel like a ride would sort me out now, but at 8am I would have struggled.

I therefore call for a petition : No work fridays, 3 Day Weekends!!

If I was the Queen I would make it the LAW. Anyone seen working on a friday (unless in an emergency) would be beaten and fined.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Ride the hangover off on the way to work and then treat yourself to a bacon and egg butty because it is a friday
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Lets be honest, we would all rather work 35-40 hours in 4 days wouldn't we?

I say make Monday part of the weekend, then we would like Monday.

8-6 Tuesday - Thursday, and 8-5.30 on a Friday = 37.5 hours.

Now some smug bugger who has flexi time will come and rub our noses in it :lol:

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    I'm quite a fan of hangovers at work - being paid to feel like crap on someone else's time = jackpot. I'm with you Jonesy on the trouble being the early start issue. At 8am and hungover I'm riding nowhere whereas if I could roll in at 11 I'd probably hop on the bike.
  • jonesy124
    well i am returning to university in a month and a half. I will have 15 hours a week contact time spread over 4 days :D:D:D:D
  • spasypaddy
    well ive finished uni and now i hate you :P where do you study?
  • homercles
    15 hrs over 4 days - uni's every bit as tough as I recall then :roll:

Reckon you'll have lots of opportunities to practice hungover cycling though.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Going on the club run on a Sunday morning wouldn't be the same without a mild hangover

Judging by the looks on other peoples faces, I don't think I'm alone either :wink:
  • It depends on what type of hangover. 1 bottle of wine, 2 bottles of wine etc. At your age however their is no such thing as a hangover so you should have cycled.

In my day.....etc
  • jonesy124
    In response to various questions:

I go to brighton uni

I had one bottle of wine (but theres not much of me so that has quite an impact on my body)

If uni had any more contact hours it would be too much! I plan to get a part time job and spend a few hours a week in the library too. Well maybe just a couple of hours.
  • spasypaddy
    my gran lives in hove! and my mate is at sussex uni studying media and something or other. Are there any good rides round there as i may go down to my grans for a weekend on the train and take my bike down
  • What's it like to ride in the morning without a hangover?

Can anyone enlighten me?
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    ride but eat and drink LOTS.

(water that is).
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • Pagem
    spasypaddy wrote:
    my gran lives in hove! and my mate is at sussex uni studying media and something or other. Are there any good rides round there as i may go down to my grans for a weekend on the train and take my bike down

shameless...
  • homercles
    Pagem wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

shameless...

Utterly!
  • Pagem
    homercles wrote:
    Pagem wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

shameless...

Utterly!

lol
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Daniel B wrote:
    Lets be honest, we would all rather work 35-40 hours in 4 days wouldn't we?

I say make Monday part of the weekend, then we would like Monday.

Dan

Wouldn't this just mean that we'd all hate Tuesdays instead?

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    Jonesy, one bottle of wine! Is that all?? Blimey what's wrong with the youth of today! No bloody stamina that's what :!:

I'll be out Saturday evening watching England valiantly lose to France and no doubt consuming several pints of Stella, Magner's and anything else I can get my hands on along the day. The following morning I shall awaken, get my leg over with the wife (if she's lucky :wink: ) before getting out on the bike :lol:

I reckon you need to get more practice in.
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • spasypaddy
    how is that shameless? there must be some nice rides in brighton/hove?
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    spasypaddy wrote:

I think they might be speculating on what kind of 'nice ride' you're after!!! :shock:
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Riding is the best way to get rid of a hangover. You feel shocking for an hour, but then you're right for the rest of the day.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I will still cycle in the next day after a skinful the night before

getting on the bike is the toughest part once you're up and running so to speak the cobwebs are gone and you're sweating out the booze... just make sure you drink water or something like that before and during and it's all good
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    spasypaddy wrote:

I think they might be speculating on what kind of 'nice ride' you're after!!! :shock:

with his Gran????

you sicken me :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    Yep, Saturday and Sunday ride's are usually with a hangover......I see cycling as the best thing to get over...sweat out the booze....alway's feel better once home and showered.

Like the idea of the bacon butties too.... :D
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Clever Pun wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

with his Gran????

Haven't you heard the stories about his gran!!! :shock:

(sorry Spasypaddy!)
  • Pagem
    Clever Pun wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

with his Gran????

now i feel sick. that wasn't quite what i was suggesting. some people just have too much of an eager mind i suppose!
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    homercles wrote:
    Pagem wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

shameless...

Utterly!

Do I detect envy? :twisted:
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    jjones wrote:
    Riding is the best way to get rid of a hangover. You feel shocking for an hour, but then you're right for the rest of the day.

Whether you ride or not, energy drink may help.