How tight should lycra shorts be??

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

just received a pair of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360021258

I opted for the small size, and they are pretty clingy, but I think they are ok, as in not too tight, a bit tricky to know until I spend some time in the saddle in them.

There's defo no baggyness around them though!

I usually take a 32" waist trouser, so thought this would be fine.

Should they be that hugging??

Quality and padding seem brilliant though I must say, a different league to the 'My Bike' branded ones I have that are around 12 years old!

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I've got a pair of these, I'm also a 32" waist and I opted for the medium. I thought they were pretty tight. Watch you don't cut the circulation, you wouldn't want anything dropping off!! :shock:
  • daniel_b
    :shock:

Do you find the medium's are the right size when your out on the bike, not too baggy at all?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • jonesy124
    jonesy124 Posts: 205
    My view on lycra shorts - As long as your pubes dont poke through ur fine :shock:
  • yet again a Jonesy post sends me scurrying towards a darkened room...

any other non-shavers (your legs, that is..) find that on some shorts the hairs poke through and look frankly..stupid?

I could live with it till my wife said the hairs on my bum poked through too - until then I didn't even know I had hair there! Surely you don't have to shave your cheeks as well??!!
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    Good point Jonesy and sure you get some replies me think!
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    I bought the dhb bib-shorts, according to the chart I should be a size M, (I'm 5'9" with a 34" waist)I ended-up with XL as the size that fitted!
    A lot of cycle clothing is in Italian sizes, my On-One bibs are XL as well.

Need some room around the thigh-tops and the ball-room otherwise high-temps and squeezed tackle prevail. They should be snug but not restrictive.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857

I could live with it till my wife said the hairs on my bum poked through too - until then I didn't even know I had hair there! Surely you don't have to shave your cheeks as well??!!

Wax strips, ask the wife :shock:

george
  • no wayyyyyyyyy....

I seriously hope that was posted in jest George.

I'm off to my darkened room again...which iisn't easy when youa re at work.

and as for asking the wife - mine or yours?
  • Eat My Dust
    Daniel B wrote:

Do you find the medium's are the right size when your out on the bike, not too baggy at all?

Dan

Medium are perfect for me.

If anybody can see your pubes poking through your shorts, then I'd have to questioning what they were actually doing looking that closely!!!!
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    SF
    I ain't got a wife!!

Jest..... me? :twisted:

You must be joking :D

Now who will do the test for us?? Anyone ready to volunteer, or is anyone already experienced in the fine art of cheek waxing?

and no don't look at me. I don't even shave my face!!

george
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:

Dan

Medium are perfect for me.

If anybody can see your pubes poking through your shorts, then I'd have to questioning what they were actually doing looking that closely!!!!

Thanks for that, perhaps I had better send these back and get the mediums then....
    Bugger.

Is the wiggle return policy relatively painless?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Eat My Dust
    Thinking about it, how big/thick are your legs? I've got legs big enough to make a ballet dancer blush, so medium are a good fit. If you have sparrow legs, small might be OK.

I think Wiggle returns are pretty good, although I've never returned anything myself.
  • daniel_b
    I am relatively lithe if I do say so myself!

I'll try them on tonight and show them up against my existing shorts and make a judgement call on it then.

Thanks for all your help, including the random pube comments :lol:

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Wiggle returns is very good. If you don't want to wait select refund rather than replacement and put in another order. They credit your card very rapidly after receipt. Excellent service as usual from Wiggle.
  • daniel_b
    alfablue wrote:
    Wiggle returns is very good. If you don't want to wait select refund rather than replacement and put in another order. They credit your card very rapidly after receipt. Excellent service as usual from Wiggle.

And I guess either method you only lose out on the amount it costs you to send the item back?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Yes, thats all. I have sent stuff like that back "signed for" for a couple of quid. I have sometimes ordered two different sizes to try them on and return one, to save time. As I am getting a discount anyway I find it cost effective. I only use the free delivery with them now, almost invariably the stuff arrives next day if I order by lunch time.
  • If you get a squeaky voice, :shock:
    they're too tight! :D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I find dhb sizing on the small side.

Like Fab Foodie, I have a 34" waist and found the Large on their 3/4 bibs neater than I wished.

I too found their returns system faultless.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Because of the stretchiness of the lycra, there is more flexibility regarding choices of sizes, but other parts of the shorts that are less stretchy, (i.e. the leg-grippers at the ends, if the shorts have them – cheapo ones often don't) will visibly pinch around the thigh if they are a bit too small.

e.g.:

shorts.jpg

Also there are leg length issues – I don't like shorts that only end right above the knee-cap, so tend to opt for size S rather than M.
  • daniel_b
    Excellent photo and illustration!

I will check it out tonight - these ones do have leg grippers, so I will compare tonight.

Thanks again

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139
    jonesy124 wrote:
    My view on lycra shorts - As long as your pubes dont poke through ur fine :shock:

Hmmmm, what with this and your enigmatic response to the chamois cream thread....I'm beginning to wonder what sort of girl you are :twisted:
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    They should be tight enough that you don't have any ridges forming in the lycra and the pad is held securely in position, nit as mentioned above, the leg grippers shouldn't be uncomfortable. Ideally it should be like a second skin, with maybe a little bit of compression.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    The cheaper the shorts the more you will poke through :D
    I prefer tighter shorts so they dont move around so much causing saddle sore.
  • daniel_b
    Hoorah!

tried them on toniht at home, alongside my othershorts, and apart from the much better padding, the fit is the same, slightly more snug, but not uncomfortable, and I think the better padding will be a revelation, and all for £12.79 :D

Thanks for the tips and handy photos 8)

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • adifiddler
    adifiddler Posts: 113
    Jonesy there was me thinking you would be clean shaven for aerodynamics :!:
    No 1 fan in the jonesy124 Fan Club
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I could live with it till my wife said the hairs on my bum poked through too.. !

Well that's what you get for wearing the same pair for 12 years... get some new ones man before you frighten the horses! :wink:
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    The cheaper the shorts the more you will poke through :D
    I prefer tighter shorts so they dont move around so much

Yes, don't get cheap shorts, or things start moving around, poking through and before you know if you've been asked to star in a new adult fiilm.. :wink::lol:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME good quality shorts have a large 'modesty' pad, as well as the chamoix to stop everything poking through. Tight shorts wear out quicker too - the material should be snug, but not tight otherwise the material is always under tension and so doesn't last as long. However, just as bad is the 'baggy' look sported by a certain Mr Vincent - its acceptable on 12 year-olds who'll grow into them, but just looks so wrong on adults. The see-through, stretched lycra look is just too bad for words - no one wants to see your spotty ar$e
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Blonde wrote:
    I could live with it till my wife said the hairs on my bum poked through too.. !

Well that's what you get for wearing the same pair for 12 years... get some new ones man before you frighten the horses! :wink:

scarily perceptive - my 'old faithful' shorts are in partial retirement now (only used on turbo trainer) but are over 15 years old, oddly enough - the shorts with the hairs poking through are my newest.

Scaring horses - now there is a concept...feelings of inadequacy in equines common then?
  • jonesy124
    jonesy124 Posts: 205
    adifiddler wrote:
    Jonesy there was me thinking you would be clean shaven for aerodynamics :!:

I wasnt talking about MY pubes, I was simply talking about ONES pubes.