Advice on upcoming Oxford to Cambridge

beckenham
beckenham Posts: 242
Okay I'm new to this cycling lark but did the L2B and enjoyed it greatly. I've now signed up for the Oxford to Cambridge on 30th Sep. I'm told its around 85 miles. I've never clcyed anything like as far as that and could do with some good advice on what training I should do. However the following potential problems need to be considered:
1. Limited time during the week. I don't get home before around 7:30 and usually walk the dog first which means I can't get out on the bike before about 8:30 by which time its dark.
2. I have more time over the weekend but not too much, kids football training Saturday, football match Sunday, walking the dog, cutting the grass, you get the drift. I could probaly negotiate a full afternoons freedom on a Saturday to train.
3. I'm off on holiday for just under 3 weeks from next week onwards
4. I drink too much beer!
5. I eat too much crap food!!

On the plus side I'm relatively fit, I play squash from time to time and 5 aside every week. The area I leave in is relatively hilly so I'm regularly going up steeps or long hills.

Since the L2B the furest I have gone is around 30 miles. I felt fine when I'd finished but its a long way off 85 miles!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers
Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements

Comments

• I did it last year and if you just want to finish I wouldn't worry about it too much, the course is relatively flat with maybe a couple of small lumps along the way. There are lots of people doing it and it is a good day out.

I finished in a shade under 5 hours and all the training I did was commuting 6 miles each day to work plus an 15 mile run each weekend which isn't a great deal at all.

If you finished the london to brighton without suffering badly the extra 25 or so miles won't cause you too many problems.