When to start tapering?

duckfoot1606
duckfoot1606 Posts: 89
Morning All

I am riding London to Paris over 4 days starting 30th August, the ride format is +/- 70 miles a day for days 1 - 3, then 60 miles on the 4th and last day.

My training has gone really well, around 150 - 170 miles a week for 4 months now, comprising 20 mile rides during the week and a londer ride of 40 - 50 miles over the weekend. Since mid July I have upped the intensity of some of the midweek rides to about 120% of my target pace, concurrently the pace of my weekend ride has increased to beyond target pace too. Throughout the last 4 months I have thrown in the odd rest day, perhaps once every couple of weeks. My legs feel fine and although occasionally they feel a bit dead at the beginning of a ride, this soon lifts when I get going.

My question is, when should I start tapering and how do I go about doing it?

Tks

AP

Comments

• PhilBixby
    PhilBixby Posts: 697
    Coincidentally, good factsheet this month on this very issue at www.flammerouge.je
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I'd suggest you just have a very easy week the week before you go. Maybe just a couple of not-too-hard rides, get lots of rest, check over your equipment. With a ride of the type you're going to do, the build up of stamina over the previous months is more critical than anything else - and it sounds as though you've taken a sensible, progressive approach to that. As long as you're feeling well rested when you set off I'm sure you'll make the most of your hard work.

Ruth
    www.rutheyles.co.uk/