Manchester 100 in September - Anyone?

Comments

• Svendo
    Svendo Posts: 15
    I've just signed up for this ride, it'll be my first 100. I'm basically begging for a lift from Rochdale area if any one is going that way, as its a bit far for a warm up and the first train on sundays from rochdale is 9.23am. Otherwise I can get a taxi into Manchester and cycle from there.

'imagine a smiley representing begging here'

Svendo

My bike really is a silver machine, and I'm definitely feeling mean.

My bike really is a silver machine and I'm definitely feeling mean
  • Positron
    Positron Posts: 191
    Hi Poppette, and everyone else - actually I'm in Timperley too. 7am start - why am I doing this! Just realised there's a forced 1/2 hour stop for "health & safety"! Nanny state, etc, etc... (Switch off Daily Mail mode.) I'll be in the Seamons CC top on a Van Nicholas Euros (yes it is lovely) with red tyres (if not especially subtle).

Off on holiday for two weeks off the bike now!

p.
    Never order anti-pasta to arrive at the same time as pasta.
  • just signed up and received my no...524?
    considering theres less than a month to go, last time i did this ride ppl had no.s 3000+?

anyway 5th year iv done this. Great ride, good organisation.
    couple of things in answer to various posts -
    only 2 short hills as i remember
    altho u wouldnt get ur card signed in/out at the halfway no1 will physically make u stop for 1/2 hour :P - but its not a bad idea neway
    Dont worry about the distance - altho its abit l8 now theres a great podcast about preparing for a 100mile on Thefredcast.com - basic philosophy u dont need to ride 100 mile in preparation, if u can do half the distance comfortably then on the day with food and drink ull make it :)

Ill ride from Dukinfield 12 ish miles to Wythenshaw Park so itll b a 125 mile day for me :D.
    Ill be on my green Thorn Brevet give me a shout no.524 :)
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I got mine about 3 weeks ago and was surprised to have number 443, I do remember seeing riders with numbers in the 4000's. Maybe the sh*t summer has put a lot off?

Well there are always loads signing on at the start, and I'm sure there will be even more signing on at the start once they realise we are about to have an Indian Summer :wink:
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Weather at the moment looks about as pleasant as one of my son's nappies while he's teething! Hope the weather improves on the day or it's going to be a wet one.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    yeh, just been out around the lanes of cheshire and my base layer seemed to wick the moisture from the atmosphere and distribute it around my upper body - lovely!
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    I'm new to all this, how do I go about entering??
  • on the road
    Max_Man wrote:
    http://www.bike-events.com/

But you might be better off just turning up and paying at the start, there will be plenty spaces left seeing as everyone has got low numbers. It can take anything up to two weeks for your information pack and number to arrive, so there is no guarantee that you'll get your information pack and number in time.
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    I'd love to pretend I'd have a chance of completing this, but I'm only back on a bike the last couple of months and even the 7 mile commute's still a challenge sometimes. Gives me a target to aim for though, I'll do my best to be there next year!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    edited August 2007
    Im down for this (100 miles). #498. Registered last week.

Ive never done more than 64 miles, that was in the Manchester-Blackpool a few weeks ago.
    I suppose with the correct hydration and food etc etc..........it will be an enjoyable ride.

Now for my new bike........................
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    popette wrote:
    I'm a couple of miles from the start as well - Timperley - where are you?

I'm taking part (100 miler) and will be staying at my brother's
    house in Timperley, a few minutes ride from the start.

(no. 1).
  • popette
    davelakers wrote:

Ive never done more than 64 miles, that was in the Manchester-Blackpool a few weeks ago.
    I suppose with the correct hydration and food etc etc..........it will be an enjoyable ride.

snap - my previous longest ride was Manchester/Blackpool 68m as we rode from timperley to the start line. I'm a bit nervous about how my bum is going to cope with 100 miles. I've got my assos shorts now though so hopefully, that will help. Good luck!
  • popette
    maander wrote:
    popette wrote:
    I'm a couple of miles from the start as well - Timperley - where are you?

I'm taking part (100 miler) and will be staying at my brother's
    house in Timperley, a few minutes ride from the start.

(no. 1).
    it's all happening in Timperley :D
    Good luck!
  • Max_Man wrote:
    http://www.bike-events.com/

But you might be better off just turning up and paying at the start, there will be plenty spaces left seeing as everyone has got low numbers. It can take anything up to two weeks for your information pack and number to arrive, so there is no guarantee that you'll get your information pack and number in time.

I was surprised - my pack arrived within 2 days of me paying online.
    I payed at the start only once - the huge crowd and w8 put me off doing again
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • on the road
    Mine took over a week to arrive, and I paid online.
  • popette wrote:
    davelakers wrote:

snap - my previous longest ride was Manchester/Blackpool 68m as we rode from timperley to the start line. I'm a bit nervous about how my bum is going to cope with 100 miles. I've got my assos shorts now though so hopefully, that will help. Good luck!

If u did the Manchester-Blackpool ull manage this 1 :) its a much nicer ride aswell, 2 many cars/main roads on the Man-Blkpl ride for me :/
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Well, I don't have any Assos shorts so I am worried that my backside is going to suffer as a result.

I haven't ridden a century for a while, but am not expecting any problems. Got lots of energy bars from Holland & Barrett and will be packing my 2.5l CamelBak™ as well as water bottles on the frame. Won't be using any PSP22 though, the aspartame gives me brainache :cry:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    I haven't ridden a century for a while, but am not expecting any problems. Got lots of energy bars from Holland & Barrett and will be packing my 2.5l CamelBak™ as well as water bottles on the frame. Won't be using any PSP22 though, the aspartame gives me brainache :cry:

AM glad I am not the only one who doesn't tolerate aspartame, I suffer from migraines, and the stuff is terrible for setting one off. :cry::cry::cry:

I hope you all have a good ride that day. I shall be thinking of you all wishing I was there.
  • popette
    good luck for tomorrow everybody. The weather forecast doesn't look great - i'm definitely going to pack my waterproof jacket.

See you there x
  • Ah well. I'll be there anyway. Yellow Orbit Tandem.
  • Looks like we're going to get wet :(
  • Hope you all have a good day tomorrow. Will be thinking of you all.
  • Wet and very windy by the looks of things. Wet I dont mind, wind I hate!!!!!!!!!

Still I cant wait.
  • Nah its not going 2 rain :P
    Twill b a great day as always.
    Oh no tho, 630 start to ride to the er..start :#
    cu there, 524 incoming!
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • davelakers wrote:
    Wet and very windy by the looks of things. Wet I dont mind, wind I hate!!!!!!!!!

Still I cant wait.
    Wind I don't mind, wet I hate.
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    Was going to do it. Now can't be bothered, tbh. Think I'll ride out from Manc to Homes Chapel to watch Millar, Hayles et al in the British Time Trial Champs. Maybe I'll see some of you on the way.

Oh, and I'll send a donation in to Christies next week.

Have fun!
  • Got soaked :(
  • Got as far as 10 mile outside the half way stop and my missus rang to say she had gone into labour. Rode like an arse to get to Nantwich, (apologies to anyone I may have upset in the process) where my mate picked me up to take me back to the start. About to set off and I got the call she had given birth to a baby girl. Gutted I missed it and gutted I didnt finish the race.

But she is beautiful, so it doesnt really matter!!! :D:D:D
  • Wow dave, fantastic news. Congratulations.
  • CG on the birth of ur daughter m8 :)

Hope evry1 enjoyed the day as much as i did.

To be fair to the Gods of Weather it was t-shirt and shorts till the last 20 miles after which it rained steadily to the finish and we all got soaked i guess.

Even tho iv done this ride a good few times now (and i appreciate the organisers r limited by the end destination and the roads available to get there) i always feel after a really nice 85ish miles the last bit seems to b a friday afternoon job "well... they can do the last 10 miles on main roads - finished!!"

Thats my only winge :P i feel for the guys marshalling the turns about 10 hours sat periodically pointing to the left/right! Shame on the few who sat in their cars and pointed out the windows!

This was my first outing with my new toy Garmin Edge 205 GPS, i thoroughly reccomend getting 1 if ur in any way into maps and stats of ur rides..but u know - boys with toys!
    Good Luck and Be Fecund