Manchester 100 in September - Anyone?

McBain_v1
McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Just signed up for the Manchester 100miler in September. Anyone else out there going to be rolling along the lanes on Sunday 2nd? Hopefully I won't fall off (last Sunday I did) and will have a blast, especially if the weather is nice. No doubt there will be lots of old guys on ultra-light bikes (always makes me laugh) and mountain bikers with CamelBaks as well (I'll be wearing one as well - they are really handy for storing stuff in).

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!

Comments

• I am supposed to be doing the 100K, but my work shifts have been changed and am now working nights and heving trouble getting someone to do shift swaps with me.
  • McBain_v1
    Bummer!

• I'm doing my best, but may have to cancel 2 things because fo my shift changes, Definately can't get cover for the other activity, never mind.:( I hope to be there, although I am slightly nervous about the prospect of 62miles on a bike!!!!
  • McBain_v1
    No need to worry about distance, it'll be like doing the Great North Run - you'll just get swept along. Hope you can arrange some cover. Judging by the lack of a response on this site (must be lots of southerners on here) I think you and I may be the only ones there!

• I posted a hi newbie here post a few weeks ago when I joined and I think Jibi said they might be doing it.

Have you done it before?
  • McBain_v1
    Done it before yeah, it's a nice ride, you get all sorts doing it.
    My dad and his pals are going to be doing it as well, he's 71 - hope I'm still able to bike when I reach his age.
    Bring some energy powder with you to mix into your drink, it's easier to get some carbs into you that way. I'm going to bring some energy bars as well.
    Depending on the weather I'll either go with my best bike or my winter bike.
    It's so hard to get it right these days.

• Cool. I'll probably have a bladder rucksack on too, as I haven't yet found an energy drink that doesn't give me a migraine yet. So will make up something with fruit juice before hand.

Is it hilly or undulating? How many people do it?
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    purplemad wrote:
    Cool. I'll probably have a bladder rucksack on too, as I haven't yet found an energy drink that doesn't give me a migraine yet. So will make up something with fruit juice before hand.

Is it hilly or undulating? How many people do it?
    There was a discussion about the M100 in this thread recently. There is usally a big turnout for the event - many hundreds. In fact, according to this rider on the shorter 100 km ride - several thousand.
  • Cool thanks for that Colin :)
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Hi,

I'm also doing the 100 miles. My furthest distance to date is 68 miles so it's a bit of a step up. I'm hoping to get a couple of long runs out before the event. I must remember to eat more on this event as when I went to Blackpool, I bonked big style and ended up a shivering heap when I crossed the line.

Thanks for the link to the other thread - good info in there.

See you on the day
    x
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I'm doing the Manchester 100 miler, done it last year in 5h 44m, hoping to go quicker this time. I have a 7.20 start.
  • Paulq
    Paulq Posts: 58
    Yep I'll be there - 4th time I have done it this year. It's a good ride especially if the weather is good - unlike last year when it was bloody appalling. It's not too hilly although there are a couple of sneaky ones in there.

Cheers

Paul
  • McBain_v1
    At last, some more people!

• Akuma
    Akuma Posts: 22
    I'll be there too, I hope, only doing the 100k route though.
    Can't wait. It's going to be awesome :D
  • Positron
    Positron Posts: 191
    Yep I'm down to do the 100 miles the day after having come back from two weeks on holiday off the bike. Never done the ton before but recon I'll be okay. Have done 60 miles in an evening including a 25 TT. Luckily I live just a couple of miles from the start and know it can't have too many hidden climbs. Just need some reasonable weather...
    Never order anti-pasta to arrive at the same time as pasta.
  • popette
    I'm a couple of miles from the start as well - Timperley - where are you?
  • McBain_v1
    I will be driving there so hopefully there will be plenty of parking.
    Irrespective of the weather I think that it will be a good event - plenty of chances to speak to fellow bikers. Last time around there were plenty of people riding it on mountain bikes so it must have some cross-boundary appeal :)

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    I will be driving there so hopefully there will be plenty of parking.
    Irrespective of the weather I think that it will be a good event - plenty of chances to speak to fellow bikers. Last time around there were plenty of people riding it on mountain bikes so it must have some cross-boundary appeal :)
    It's worth getting there early. Most of the times that I did it with my mate we got into the park okay and were able to park in the main car park. The one year we left it a bit late we got stuck down the road in a big jam, then the main car park was full and we had to park in an overspill car park on the grass which was a bit muddy.
  • Oh bummer, Look slike I am having to pull out of this one. The chap I was hoping ot gte a shift swap off is now working. :(:(:(:(:(
  • McBain_v1
    Thanks ColinJ, will bear that in mind and get there plenty early.
    Sorry to hear that PurpleMad won't be joining us as well :(

• on the road
    Last year I got there at 6.45 and there was plenty of spaces, so I suppose as long as you get there before 7 then there should be plenty spaces.
  • McBain_v1
    Get there before 7am :?: :shock:
    Jeeze, this is going to be a long day in the saddle.[/u]

• on the road
    I have a 7.20 start :|
  • McBain_v1
    Why :?:
    I must confess that I haven't read the form too carefully, do we all have to start at that time :?:

• on the road
    There are different start times to help ease congestion.

I don't mind starting at that time cos it means I can get home by mid afternoon.
  • on the road
    I do seem to remember seeing riders with numbers in the 4000's.
  • popette
    I think I'm also 7.20. I read two bits of conflicting information in the blurb - one said you must start at that time, the other said if you want to change your time, don't bother calling the office, just come at the time you want to start.
    I'd rather set off as early as possible as I'll have four nippers waiting for me to get back home.
  • on the road
    The start time is just meant as a guide. They just ask riders with whatever start time to approach the start line, but they don't check, there are just too many, they'll be there all day. I had a 7.20 start last year but went off with the 7.00 start riders, although having said that, the start was delayed by about 20 minutes anyway, I didn't want to hang about.
  • Izembard
    Izembard Posts: 42
    Im there!!

Iz
  • McBain_v1
    Just read my blurb and it seems I'm down for an 0730 start. Just gives me time to cram in a ham bagel :wink: Should be a good day - time to shine up the bestest bike, wax the legs, apply the fake tan and then pretend to be a good cyclist :lol: