My Very Exciting Newbie Accessories Shopping List

ZeroK66
ZeroK66 Posts: 24
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

Having spent a few hours trawling through the reviews on this site, picking a list of suggested accessories from my original post I have come up with the following list... let me know what you think?

Hardware:
Polar CS200(CAD) - Cyclists Heart Monitor (Anything out there with GPS?)
Pedals: Exustar E-PR77 | £59.95
Shimano MT31 SPD Shoe
Shimano R131S | £89.95
Cateye TL - LD600 | £14.99
Cateye HL-EL 135
Planet-X Carbon Bottle Cage x 2
Soma Steel Core Tyre Levers | £4.99
(Park) Tyre Boot
(Park) Glueless Patch Kit
Crank Brothers Power Pump | £14.99
Specialized Air Tool Comp | £39.99
Multitool (smallest with chaintool) (No idea?? Suggestions)
Spare Tubes x2 (No idea?? Suggestions)
Saddle Bag (No idea?? Suggestions)

Clothing:
Endura Roubaix Arm Warmers | £12.99
Slipstreamz Cycling Earwear | £7.49
Endura MIGHTY MITT | £14.99
Altura Crosslite Jacket | £79.99
Nike 10/2 Bib Short | £55
Dakine Nomad Hydration Pack | £64.99
Catlike Kompact Pro Helmet | £74.99

I chose most things that had a 4-5 star rating, but were still moderately priced compared to others which had similar ratings.

Cheers,
Audi S4 503HP... sadly no bike just yet - HELP!

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    So are you going to buy any of these then?

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • ZeroK66 wrote:

What about a Garmin? I have a forerunner as I ran a lot last year but you can get a garmin Edge for a bike and they have a cadence option on them. http://tinyurl.com/378bzn
    They also have a HRM so you wouldn't need to have 2 gadgets. Although I love having a HRM and garmin separate, gadget girl me. :lol::lol:
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    I don't understand why your buying bottles and cages, a saddle bag and a hydration pack.

Personally on a road bike i'd use bottles and cages and use a saddle bag to carry other bits like a multitool (well actually, at the minute the boyfriends carrying this stuff as i don't have a saddle bag....how long do you think i can get away with that??!)

On the mountain bike i use a hydration pack because it's easier, bottles won't bounce out/get muddy etc. and carry tools/pumps/tubes in there

Don't see why on a road bike you'd need both systems?? A hydration pack might get annoying and slide around on a road bike as well due to the position your cycling in.
  • ZeroK66
    Sorry yes, I am fairly retarded!! Ignore the hydration pack - I will simply get a nice rucksack for carrying bits.

I do fully intend on buying the items in this list... I wouldnt have spent a couple hours this morning trawling through reviews otherwise :P

Purple nutcase... thanks for that - I shall have a look at the garmin stuff, sounds like just what I need thanks.

Any other comments from people who own the items in my list or have an alternative suggestion, or think I have missed anything - please shout :)

Thanks
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    ZeroK66 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Having spent a few hours trawling through the reviews on this site, picking a list of suggested accessories from my original post I have come up with the following list... let me know what you think?

Hardware:
    Pedals: Exustar E-PR77 | £59.95
    Shimano MT31 SPD Shoe
    Shimano R131S | £89.95
    Cateye TL - LD600 | £14.99
    Cateye HL-EL 135
    (Park) Tyre Boot
    (Park) Glueless Patch Kit
    Multitool (smallest with chaintool) (No idea?? Suggestions)
    Spare Tubes x2 (No idea?? Suggestions)
    Saddle Bag (No idea?? Suggestions)

Clothing:
    Endura Roubaix Arm Warmers | £12.99
    Slipstreamz Cycling Earwear | £7.49
    Nike 10/2 Bib Short | £55
    Dakine Nomad Hydration Pack | £64.99

I chose most things that had a 4-5 star rating, but were still moderately priced compared to others which had similar ratings.

Cheers,

Change your bibshorts to some Assos. Prices start about 20 quid up on the Nike trash and your arse will thank you for it.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • ZeroK66
    My ars* thanks you dearly :)
  • I love my Garmin :) It's fab, yes mine is designed for running, so therefore designed to go on your wrist, but I attach it to my handlebars and I cycle to my hearts content.

BTW can I add stuff to your list for you to buy me???? ;):lol::D
  • ZeroK66
    Depends what I get in return :lol:
  • Now there is a question........and my witty head isn't working tonight :( and I don't know you well enough to be rude/cheeky etc.
  • ZeroK66
    Haha, oh please dont hold back :D - get your whitty head screwed on and come back to me :P
  • ZeroK66 wrote:
    Depends what I get in return :lol:

A glimpse of me cycling past you while you are trying to work out how all your new gear works :lol: :P :roll: :D
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    HRM with or without GPS

Cheap HRM (Polar F5), cheap GPS (Garmin eTrex - the basic yellow one, no mapping) and cheap cycle computer (Cateye Velo 8 ). Works for me but then I need the GPS for long rides (>12 hours) and all of the cycling specific ones use internal Li-Ion cells that don't last long enough (and the internal cells can't be replaced part way round when they go flat).

Bottle cages Don't pay more than £5 for one. Take one less pound coin with you if 20g makes such a difference. It's just not worth £25 extra per cage.

Glueless Patch Kit. - Get a normal p*nct*r* repair kit. The glueless patches aren't that good and are near useless in the rain (when you tend to get most punctures).

Multitool with chaintool Get a separate chain tool. Much easier to use than the ones inside a huge multi-tool and also gives you a wider range of options for multi-tools.

Altura Crosslite Jacket You don't seem to be scrimping on this list. Consider Gore Paclite stuff. More expensive (my Alp-X was £150) but it is worth the extra money.

Arm Warmers I'd have knee warmers on my list before arm warmers. If it's cold enough for your arms to feel the cold your knees will feel 10 times worse. Keep you knees warm. Endura Roubaix arm/knee warmers are good.

Spare Tubes Any, it really doesn't matter.

Saddle Bag One just big enough. Too big and you fill it with heavy stuff you'll never use. Small enough you won't have enough space for what you do need.[/b]
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • ZeroK66
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Greenbank... I will take in what you have said and ammend my shopping list accordingly :)

As for you purple nutjob... not a bad come back... to be fair the most I would want of you is a glimpse, so I am happy wtih that :D - its almost a deal... I just need to actually buy some things first!
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    If you're going to get a heart rate monitor with GPS, it's worth investing in a book highlighting how to train properly using these.

That's a fairly impressive list of stuff and so I'm thinking you want to take this seriousish, therefore try-
    Serious cycling by Edmund Burke PhD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serious-Cycling ... 073604129X

Or the Cyclists training bible by Joe Friel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclists-Traini ... 64-7983026

Useful in the long term and short term will show you how to use heart rate monitors properly and incorporate them into a training program.

Shoes- try them on and get them from a bike shop, at that price range there is lot's of competition. R131 looks to be a good shoe though.

Arm warmers, I got a great pair from my shop the other day, I have small arm muscles :( and so needed special ones, if unusual size just ask for advice from LBS (local bike shop).

You don't seem to have any short sleeve jerseys on there, and altho the weather isn't great even the UK gets warm occasionally...
    You could go for a team Kit if there are any you support-
    have a look at www.probikekit.com

Have a look around and decide what kind you want- tight fitting and technical or more leisure and loose fitting.

Get at least 2 pairs of shorts, after every ride you should wash your shorts to prevent infection (saddle sores)

Nice helmet, fit is really important though, so have a look at what your LBS has to offer.

You really really don't need a rucksack when riding a road bike.
    With a cycling jersey you have 3 rear pockets to keep stuff in, plus 2 water bottle holders and a saddle bag.
    This is my saddle bag
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ddle%20Bag

A rucksack will just leave you sweating like a pig in the heat and unless you're going away for a few days will be almost completely empty.
    I've been all day (11 hours) without stopping using a (admittedly larger) saddle bag and what i can carry in jersey pockets.

Don;t buy assos, stuff, as you are new and won't be going at 20mph + everywhere you'll get some (deserved) flak for being an all the gear no idea person. Buy decent stuff and maybe get some assos stuff for winter when you've earned it.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nolf
    I've put this in a seperate one as I have a sneaky feeling they limit your word count in a post...

Look at base layers-
    In some of the cool weather we are having at the moment a short sleeve jersey with a short sleeve lightweight base layer will keep you pleasently cooled and not overly sweaty. I use this-
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 47&N=Helly Hansen Stripe Base Layer

It's pretty much a year round top and I wear it on all but the hottest days or days when I'm doing intervals :D

Sunglasses are a good idea, wrap around ones can help as it stops the wind getting in your eyes, and when raining, the rain. Maybe have a look at some with interchangeable lenses for year round use.

Knee warmers, and also leg warmers, gives you a bit more choice and I find my knee warmers aren't really warm enough on some mornings or cold days.

Also apologies if you knew some of the stuff already, just read some of your other posts and realised that you ride MTB's and so probs know a bit already.

Alfred Tennyson
  • So long as you don't expect to see a glimpse of me here I think we have a deal

http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/

:lol: :oops: :lol:
  • ZeroK66
    Nolf, very handy posts - thank you very much. I am a complete novice, the last time I did cycle was as a young teenager and then I had no kit but a basic (heavy) bike and normal clothing. Now I am in a little more of a fortunate possition I can afford to kit up properly. I will be taking up cycling as a hobby with an interest in taking part in a couple events a year. I aim to get to 100 miles a week in the next couple months. Everything you have said will help me jump ahead.

I shall get cracking with the books you have suggested, thanks a stack.

Cheers,
  • ZeroK66
    I would do a naked bike ride... you inviting me purple crazy chick? Have they ever done anything like that in the UK?
  • I hope they don't do it in the UK, I am definately not brave enough to do it. :!: :!: :!:
  • sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139
    Hi ZeroK66

Sorry to come back to your kit list after your far more interesting chat with PurpleMad....

I can recommend this Topeak multitool http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5300003189 - mine has received a lot of use and has not let me down - including the built in chain tool which I can vouch works very on Shimano chains. The integral tyre levers are excellent also.

Are you anywhere near a branch of Decathlon? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/index.html

If you are, their own brand cycle clothing is excellent value and they always have special offers on - the Sheffield store has AG2 / BTWIN team bib shorts and tops reduced from ~£40 each to £15 each at the moment. They are also good for stuff like saddle bags, bottle holders and bottles.....

Of course, if you're planning on cycling naked you could save yourself a fortune :wink:
  • ZeroK66
    Lol thanks Bullett. Unfortunately I am no where near any of their stores :( - your "tool" sounds perfect, I cant wait to ride with it :lol:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    sbullett wrote:
    Hi ZeroK66

Sorry to come back to your kit list after your far more interesting chat with PurpleMad....

I can recommend this Topeak multitool http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5300003189 - mine has received a lot of use and has not let me down - including the built in chain tool which I can vouch works very on Shimano chains. The integral tyre levers are excellent also.

Are you anywhere near a branch of Decathlon? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/index.html

If you are, their own brand cycle clothing is excellent value and they always have special offers on - the Sheffield store has AG2 / BTWIN team bib shorts and tops reduced from ~£40 each to £15 each at the moment. They are also good for stuff like saddle bags, bottle holders and bottles.....

Of course, if you're planning on cycling naked you could save yourself a fortune :wink:

Is that bib shorts for £15 in Decathlon you say??? Gf is on her way to Chesterfield on Monday so may get her to stop at Nottingham on the way!
  • OMG cycling naked and speak of tools in one thread. This will never do ;):lol::o :shock:
  • McBain_v1
    Naked cycling - can't recommend it. Imagine skin loss if you fell off (and where you could lose it from :lol: )

• ZeroK66
    So based on the info you guys have provuded... this is what I have come up with:

Hardware:
    Computer - TBC... GPS with maps & heart rate mon - the works
    Pedals: Exustar E-PR77 Dual Pedal | £59.95
    Shimano MT31 SPD Shoe
    Shimano R131S Race Shoe | £89.95
    Cateye TL - LD600 Rear Light | £14.99
    Cateye HL-EL 135 Front Light
    (Park) Tyre Boot
    Any old Patch Kit
    Topeak Hexus/Hummer 16 Function Multitool
    Spare Tubes x2
    Topeak Aero Wedge Buckle On Large Saddle Bag - or anything large enough

Clothing:
    Base Layer tops (Helly Hansen Stripe Base Layer)
    2 x Assos F1 Mille Short | £105 - OUCH! (Alternatives?)
    Some form of short and long sleeve riding tops (I will find something in store)
  • McBain_v1
    Alternative to Assos shorts - yep, Endura (cheaper and British made).
    If you want to spend a lot then look at Rapha gear instead.

• nolf
    Assos chamois cream- put it on to prevent saddle sore and paaaaaaain!!!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360031286

the F1 Mille bib shorts are £85 on wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360031148

Also remember they will wear out probably within 2 years of wearing them no matter how good they are (if used regularly).

I couldn't recomend any shorts I haven't tried and I haven't tried many, but endura are a make you can trust- go for the bib shorts

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Manufacturer.as ... ame=Shorts - Lycra

Also remember knee warmers/leg warmers- from bike shop

Just remember that all this won't actually make you much faster, but will increase your enjoyment of the sport.

Now you need to find an event to train towards.... :D

Alfred Tennyson
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    nolf wrote:

Don;t buy assos, stuff, as you are new and won't be going at 20mph + everywhere you'll get some (deserved) flak for being an all the gear no idea person. Buy decent stuff and maybe get some assos stuff for winter when you've earned it.

Sorry, I was with you - totally - up to this point.

"...you've earned it" I don't think so....

My 2nd bit of clothing was an Assos airjack 851, I started cycling in the winter (!) Are you suggesting that I should have frozen my tits off all winter with something else until you and the rest of the "road police" decide I'm fast/experienced/cool enough?

This is why I don't want to go near a cycling club :(
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Rear light - Smart 1/2 watt @ £15.00
  • nolf
    You should have worn a t-shirt and Jeans until you reach an acceptable level of fitness, then we will tell you what you are permitted to wear.

In 5 or 6 years time we may permit you to wear assos clothing...

Maybe...

Alfred Tennyson