Pasta

jonesy124
jonesy124 Posts: 205
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
A short and simple question....

I ride home at 5pm. What time should I eat my bowl of pasta in order for it to have the best affect on my performance later?

cheers x

Comments

• MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    Two hours before your ride would be my suggestion.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    General thinking is that you should eat within half an hour of stopping cycling. Your metabolism is still going at 100mph. The half hour is called the 'glycogen window' where your body will replace the used-up glycogen in your muscles thus aiding recovery.

I usually try and keep a sandwich or banana back for this pupose.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • jonesy124
    MrKawamura wrote:
    Two hours before your ride would be my suggestion.

damn it, i ate it at 2pm - three hours before hand. But I am polishing off some cake at present so I am sure I will be able to pedal my arse off
  • Crapaud
    Oops! Got the wrong end of the stick there.

When I commuted, a banana half an hour before setting off was enough time to start digesting it. That was for a 7 mile journey. How far are you travelling that you need a whole bowl of pasta?

I hope I'm not comming across as banana obsessed, but they're an excellent fuel source.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Personally I find pasta, whilst a great source of complex carbohydrates, is a bit too bland to chomp on before a ride. I go for a full-sugar bowl of Alpen with extra banana sliced on top :) This seems to give me enough "umph" to cycle for about 50 miles before a cake-stop is required.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • jonesy124
    I only have to cycle 11 miles, but these days I fancy going further so will often ride past my road and do another 15 miles or so.

I have only eaten pasta for lunch recently but have found that it makes a huge difference to my performance.

I have also just been informed that my colleague is on her way back from Ikea and is bringing a jumbo bag of Dime bars back to the office - sugar rush here I come :D
  • McBain_v1
    Dime Bar? Are they crunchy or chewy?
    Wish they still did Old Jamaica chocolate - lovely stuff that :D

• MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    Pasta, cake and a whole bag of dime bars - parhaps you could have a go at a century tonight!

:D
  • jonesy124
    well it wasnt a HUGE amount of pasta, and I only had one slice of cake.

ok ok... i will try and limit the number of dime bars i eat. Is 4 allowed?

If I cycle 30miles does taht make me a bit less of a greedy pig?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    i think jonsey might be BR's new Arch?!

but somewhat prettier :oops:

(only people wo used to frequent CP will understand, you know, the people with the elephant fetish)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • McBain_v1
    Agree that Jonesy124 has quite a devoted following here - and if that photo is accurate it is not hard to see why.

Personally I don't miss the baby elephants :roll:

• Crapaud
    McBain_v1:
    Personally I don't miss the baby elephants

They were too low in carbs for my liking! :D
  • McBain_v1
    LOL! Agree, they never did fit in the back of a jersey pocket either.
    Are Arch and all her minions not posting on here at all then? Oh well...

• ddraver
    cycle chat me thinks...or bike speak or pedal talk or the like
    - @ddraver
  • McBain_v1
    Jeeze, I can't be arsed joining a million forums just to keep track of people.
    Since none of 'em has missed me or emailed me I'll say "sod 'em" and loiter around here for a bit longer :lol:

• jonesy124
    I have no idea what's going on here!?

Very flattered about the lovely comments :oops: but who is Arch? And what the hell is all this baby elephant talk?
  • McBain_v1
    Oh jeeze - apparently she was a lass on the Cycling Plus website that various people developed a bit of a "thing" for. She had a weird signature that went something along the lines of...

"If I had a baby elephant it could help me wash the car... If I had a car"

And apparently it got a mention in the Cycling Plus magazine so it started a copying frenzy.

Never bought into it myself, never saw a picture of Arch either so I couldn't comment on the fuss either.

Continue to be yourself Jonesy124 and carry on upgrading that bike!
    Didn't the former footballer who rode the route of the Tour de France for leukemia research ride a Bianchi as well?

• jonesy124
    It is interesting being one of the few females in a generally male dominated forum, I like it though - very friendly :)

Im getting ready for my ride home. Unfortunately my manager is getting back from holiday tomorrow so I will have to get into work an hour earlier in order to make sure everything is perfect. I had plannedget everything ready today but, as usual, I have spent too much time on BR.
  • ddraver
    you re far prettier than Arch, she rode a dawes and a recumbent and everything......

and i'm gonna have to remove the elephant link my sig it appears, they ve all gone elsewhere
    - @ddraver
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    Personally I find pasta, whilst a great source of complex carbohydrates, is a bit too bland

Apparantly, eating pasta with some sort of accompanying source is the done thing, and tends to solve the blandness problem. :wink:
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • McBain_v1
    LOL! Well, I'm a HP fiend so maybe that's the answer.

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Personally I find pasta, whilst a great source of complex carbohydrates, is a bit too bland to chomp on before a ride.
    'before a ride' - well it depends how much before. It makes best sense the day before or at least 4 hours before.

As for 'too bland', perhaps you overcook it.

And there are lots of simple sauces you can make or buy to tart up plain pasta - try a jar of red pesto, or learn how to make 'alla Puttenesca' sauce (garlic, black olives, anchovies and tomatoes) or 'Aglio e Olio' sauce (garlic, dried chili peppers and parsley).
    I feel sure a good portion of the latter the night before was the reason behind my PB on the Stelvio the other year!

I sometimes like pasta with just lashings of freshly-grated parmesan and freshly-grated black pepper.
    This works particularly well with the flavoured pastas. As well as the tricolore twirly pasta variety, you can also get pastas with specific flavours - chilli pepper, barolo redwine, octopus, salmon, chive, mushroom, chestnut, ramson - most of which taste great.

I've even seen, though never tried, a chocolate-flavoured pasta, the individual pasta shaped like little penises - perhaps the sort of thing jonesy124 might relish before a ride?
  • McBain_v1
    the individual pasta shaped like little penises - perhaps the sort of thing jonesy124 might relish before a ride?

Careful now...

• jonesy124 wrote:
    I have no idea what's going on here!?

Very flattered about the lovely comments :oops: but who is Arch? And what the hell is all this baby elephant talk?

well jonsey, nice to say hi, you sound like a nice kinda girl, so a belated welcome :D
    the elephant thing is a laugh and must be promoted. 8)

a nice simple sauce I go for in a rush is a tin of chopped tomatoes, a little pure' (optional) garlic, pepper and chopped herbs. simple, effective and tasty as hell.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • jonesy124
    knedlicky wrote:
    I've even seen, though never tried, a chocolate-flavoured pasta, the individual pasta shaped like little penises - perhaps the sort of thing jonesy124 might relish before a ride?

hahahaha that made me chuckle for quite a while!

so you assume I am a penis fan then?
  • McBain_v1
    I can see where this is going...

• ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    jonesy124 wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

hahahaha that made me chuckle for quite a while!

I used to live in a house share with an Italian girl and she told me that pasta was meant for wedding parties! She could have been winding me up though..

*ahem* -

http://www.bacheloretteparties.com/penpasininsi.html

("increases in size when cooked" :roll:)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    jonesy124 wrote:
    I only have to cycle 11 miles, but these days I fancy going further so will often ride past my road and do another 15 miles or so.

I have only eaten pasta for lunch recently but have found that it makes a huge difference to my performance.

I have also just been informed that my colleague is on her way back from Ikea and is bringing a jumbo bag of Dime bars back to the office - sugar rush here I come :D
    I would not worry about food for 15 mile ride, just a drink should suffice :D
  • hahahaha that made me chuckle for quite a while!

so you assume I am a penis fan then?[/quote]

well Jonsey, now that you've opened the can of worms, you may and let us know. :D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Jonesy needs a good sig line

start a BR trend of copy-cat sig lines

george