Hardest climb in the UK?

Comments

• John C. wrote:
    Not sure about UK but in N Yorks if you start off in Thirsk as I do, and go up Sneck Yate then over to Helmsley up Farndale and out up church houses that puts you just about in the right mood for Rosedale. And if that isn't enough do what the cycling + team did and ride it on a double chainset ! (wonder how long the skinny 10 speed chains lasted) Resect !

Thats one impressive training route! You could top it off by going through Hawnby to Osmotherly, then down into Swainby and back up onto the Moors over Carlton Bank :lol: You get Newgate in aswell that way :lol:
    amircp wrote:
    Here's a couple more difficult climbs:
    3) Getting out of bed in the morning.

Can we add 4) Back on the bike after a cafe stop?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • rampax
    rampax Posts: 139
    I rode the Lon Las Cymru last year, and it went up that lane to Llanbedr (near Harlech), and it was a REAL KILLA. The guide book said that the high level route was well worth the extra effort! The were amazing views from the top though.
    On the lower slopes, you have plenty of excuses to stop, to go through cattle gates, and when traffic is coming the other way on ultra narrow sections. But on the final section you can see where the road is going, and how steep it is. The steep bits were short, allowing you to get yourself together for the next, but the very last stretch carried on really steep for ages, and I HAD to dismount.
    I think if I had not got my panniers on, I might have JUST managed it all the way.

Later in the year I did Honister Pass from the Seatoller side, and although it was also a killa, the REALLY nasty bit was at the bottom. The one near Harlech was far worse (IMHO).

Next year I will try the Lakeland classics!
    The A6 Hazel Grove - "Always the worst part of any ride".
  • amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    Nicholas Crane showed us how hard Kirkstone Pass is with a three-speed old fashioned woman's bike with a backet on the front. And he never took his coat off. What a hero!
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    I have to confess, Rosedale Chimney had me beat on Sunday. My foot went down once about 50yds from the top of the steep section as gravity overcame power applied :oops:

In my defence I was over-lunched and under-geared (39-26) but a fail is a fail, and it's the first foot down for years :cry:

There were also a couple of brutal climbs to be found around Old Bylands and Hawnby further west which seemed as steep to my tired legs, but not as long as the Chimney.
  • Did Hardknott and Wrynose both ways in April as part of training before and during a sportive over them. The second time was on the event itself after 70 miles or so and it tackled Hardknott from the West like the FWC. I had a put a foot down on one of the 33% hairpins...it was extreme on fairly mashed legs.
    In my mind it the longest and sustained steepest road I have cycled over......apart from the Zoncolan which had my heart-rate into meltdown territory.

In some ways European HC's etc are relatively easy in comparison, even Mortirolo, long yes, but the difference is they are cruisable. With climbs like Hardknott there is no cruise option...it requires full-on mental and physical effort every time.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    le patron wrote:
    Did Hardknott and Wrynose both ways in April as part of training before and during a sportive over them. The second time was on the event itself after 70 miles or so and it tackled Hardknott from the West like the FWC. I had a put a foot down on one of the 33% hairpins...it was extreme on fairly mashed legs.
    In my mind it the longest and sustained steepest road I have cycled over......apart from the Zoncolan which had my heart-rate into meltdown territory.

In some ways European HC's etc are relatively easy in comparison, even Mortirolo, long yes, but the difference is they are cruisable. With climbs like Hardknott there is no cruise option...it requires full-on mental and physical effort every time.

Was it the Lakeland Loop you did?, as me and a few mates did the FWC route as a practice run that same day and it was a scorcher...In fact I tried to get bananas in the Shop in Gosforth for the forthcoming onslaught of Hardknott/Wrynose but was told that the Lakeland loop guys had cleaned them out...you buggas!
  • Lifeson
    Lifeson Posts: 327
    Just got back from a trip to South Wales and I have to say there are some corkers down there, may not be the longest but a very steep.
    Along the coast road parrallel to the A487 around Abercastle and out of Fishguard - a couple of ways there are some corkers
    And also around Gower (eg Penrice Castle)
    "You must return here with a shrubbery, or else, you will never pass through this wood... alive."
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    le patron wrote:
    Did Hardknott and Wrynose both ways in April as part of training before and during a sportive over them. The second time was on the event itself after 70 miles or so and it tackled Hardknott from the West like the FWC. I had a put a foot down on one of the 33% hairpins...it was extreme on fairly mashed legs.

Was it the Lakeland Loop you did?, as me and a few mates did the FWC route as a practice run that same day and it was a scorcher...In fact I tried to get bananas in the Shop in Gosforth for the forthcoming onslaught of Hardknott/Wrynose but was told that the Lakeland loop guys had cleaned them out...you buggas!

Yes - Lakeland Loop, a beautiful day in a very sunny and dry April
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    le patron wrote:
    Blimey, what gear were you in to cruise up the Mortirolo? :shock:

I had a 34x26 in June and I groveled up it. That said, I did push a bit too hard on the Gavia before hand so might have cooked my legs in the process. :oops:
  • andyp wrote:
    le patron wrote:
    Blimey, what gear were you in to cruise up the Mortirolo? :shock:

I had a 34x26 in June and I groveled up it. That said, I did push a bit too hard on the Gavia before hand so might have cooked my legs in the process. :oops:

I did it in both directions as the Gavia was shut and found it relatively easy, but my legs were pretty strong by then as I had been climbing everything I could see for several weeks. http://letour2007latest.blogspot.com/20 ... gavia.html
  • Anonymous
    Check this link out...its from this years Wild Wales Challenge..they are all of the infamous Bwlch Y Groes climb(the steep way from Dina Mawwdwy).the photo's are top notch and lots of the photo's show what an absolute beast this really is...for me this climb is an UBER climb...its one of the UK ultimates...only Hardknott West or Wrynose East are in the same planet.

http://will49.zenfolio.com/p562427729

The slideshow images are fantastic...i'm on photo 79 in Gerolsteiner shirt...
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Check this link out...its from this years Wild Wales Challenge..they are all of the infamous Bwlch Y Groes climb(the steep way from Dina Mawwdwy).the photo's are top notch and lots of the photo's show what an absolute beast this really is...for me this climb is an UBER climb...its one of the UK ultimates...only Hardknott West or Wrynose East are in the same planet.

That looks like a brutal climb. There must be more people pushing than riding.
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:

To be honest I did not find this one that hard, but I had only ridden 35 miles :D I managed on 39/21 and 23 on steep bit.
    I felt worse on Cleeve hill in the cotswolds and i would say about 90% maybe more got off and walked.
    The only good thing about cleeve hill is you can see the top so have extra incentive to stay on.
    In my link below you can see a 33% climb I did in cornwall but that was not too hard as it was only the bottom bit.
    My old local hill still has my vote :D
  • Anonymous
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

To be honest I did not find this one that hard, but I had only ridden 35 miles :D I managed on 39/21 and 23 on steep bit.
    I felt worse on Cleeve hill in the cotswolds and i would say about 90% maybe more got off and walked.
    The only good thing about cleeve hill is you can see the top so have extra incentive to stay on.
    In my link below you can see a 33% climb I did in cornwall but that was not too hard as it was only the bottom bit.
    My old local hill still has my vote :D

Got to be honest Oldwelshman, your on your own with that statement, you must be very fit to do that climb on a 39x23....or just plain talented...I've only seen one other climb do such damage to a sportif and of course thats Hardknott on the FWC....I'd say more than half walked this beast...theres no other climbs in the UK which command the same Average gradient apart from Hardknott...Again I can only give my opinion...its equal most difficult climb i've ever did...and most other guys riding the WWC I spoke to thought this was the toughest in the Whole UK...but I've seen other guys say things like "Hardknotts not bad at all really", and 'the Bealach Na Ba is fairly easy'...I even had a guy try and tell me that the 28mile ascent of Mount Teide was easy!...A bloody 28 mile constant slog....i'm afraid these statements are alien to most normal weekend warrior type guys......and i'm afraid to say that your statement don't compute with me either...sorry.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Hardknott from the West for me - particularly if you've never been up it before, you ride along from Eskdale and suddenly whoa, up it goes and the worst bit is the switchback about 3/4 way up you can't see from the bottom. I've ridden the Bwlch too, that was tough - but Hardknott takes it for it's sheer, rip-your-legs-off brutality.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I have to agree with a lot of people here, Hardknott gets my vote!

That said, the 1st climb in the morning was Wrynose from the East and I blew up a 100m from the top. My HR went to 197 and I blew. Only 1 of our group did it. Hardknott was next on the list, I controlled my breathing and my HR only went up to 187 this time and I was the only one to make it up. My cadence was as low as 23rpm!!

The rest of the Lakeland passes were a doddle compared to those 2, that includes Honister Pass. Looking at the profile in my Polar s/w it looks like it could be harder from the West, starting from sea level.

I don't think turbo trainers go to 33% but I uploaded the Lakeland Pass rides to www.ownsports.net so they can be downloaded and ridden whenever insanity takes over :lol:
  • Got to be honest Oldwelshman, your on your own with that statement, you must be very fit to do that climb on a 39x23....or just plain talented...I've only seen one other climb do such damage to a sportif and of course thats Hardknott on the FWC....I'd say more than half walked this beast...theres no other climbs in the UK which command the same Average gradient apart from Hardknott...Again I can only give my opinion...its equal most difficult climb i've ever did...and most other guys riding the WWC I spoke to thought this was the toughest in the Whole UK...but I've seen other guys say things like "Hardknotts not bad at all really", and 'the Bealach Na Ba is fairly easy'...I even had a guy try and tell me that the 28mile ascent of Mount Teide was easy!...A bloody 28 mile constant slog....i'm afraid these statements are alien to most normal weekend warrior type guys......and i'm afraid to say that your statement don't compute with me either...sorry.[/quote]

I dont think any climb is easy, just some feel less difficult :D
    I find that when a hill is that steep theres not much difference betwwen 21,23,and 27 as I am crawling up on that with low cadence :D
    On that Bwlch climb I had to hang on the fence to start after taking the pic i did not want tog o back down :D To be honest I find climbing in a race much more challenging because on a club run or sportive you can pace yourself but in a race if you are too far behind the "real " climbers you are out of the race! So my legs always burn on climbs in a race however short or steep they are :D
  • Just completed the 95 mile route of the Bealach na Ba sportive this weekend. The weather was a bit rank but the climb was much easier than I had expected for alll the hype it had recieved on last years episode of the adventure show.

If I was to guess at the hardest climb in the UK I would look towards the Yorkshire Dales, I did an Etape du Dales earlier this summer including the Buttertubs pass. I was on a 14 speed bike but reckon that this climb was harder than the Bealach.

The steepest the Bealach gets is 1 in 5 round the hairpins at the top but its longer, the Buttertubs pass is relentless with a long climb up to a series of hairpins that take you up at 1 in 4 levelling off before the final accent that is 1 in 4 and seems like a vertical wall.

Shame the weather on both occasions was terrible, the Bealach is more scenic when you can see it but being a proud Scotsman I hate to say it but its not hard enough.
  • Anonymous
    Just completed the 95 mile route of the Bealach na Ba sportive this weekend. The weather was a bit rank but the climb was much easier than I had expected for alll the hype it had recieved on last years episode of the adventure show.

If I was to guess at the hardest climb in the UK I would look towards the Yorkshire Dales, I did an Etape du Dales earlier this summer including the Buttertubs pass. I was on a 14 speed bike but reckon that this climb was harder than the Bealach.

The steepest the Bealach gets is 1 in 5 round the hairpins at the top but its longer, the Buttertubs pass is relentless with a long climb up to a series of hairpins that take you up at 1 in 4 levelling off before the final accent that is 1 in 4 and seems like a vertical wall.

Shame the weather on both occasions was terrible, the Bealach is more scenic when you can see it but being a proud Scotsman I hate to say it but its not hard enough.

Strange....I find the Bealach Na Ba at least 3 times tougher than Buttertubs...toughest way up Buttertubs is from the Thwaite side...I did a route last year which did this then Fleetmoss, then Park Rash, then Oxnop...Buttertubs was by far the easiest.

I agree with the Lad about Wrynose East...one of the toughest out...the 2 biggies in the Lakes and the Bwlch are by quite some considreable distance the toughest I,ve did in the UK.
  • I think that Hardknott from the west is the worst I have ever ridden. I have never managed to ride more than half of it but that has always been on the FWC so, after 90 odd miles, it's not really surprising (for me at least). Bealach na Ba is long, which is why it gets a higher rating but I didn't think is was anywhere near as steep as Hardknott when I rode it in April this year. I sopped for a rest but didn't have to walk any of it. There a lots of very steep roads all over the country but I guess the criteria used to clasify the hill is a mixture of steepness and length. Kirstone pass from Ambleside is the longest and highest pass in the Lakes but it is not as hard some of the others on the FWC.

Incidently, when I rode the BnaB it was drizzling and very low cloud. Consequently, we couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of us. That was a definite plus. There's nothing worse that looking up and seeing a massive moutain towering above you.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Just completed the 95 mile route of the Bealach na Ba sportive this weekend. The weather was a bit rank but the climb was much easier than I had expected for alll the hype it had recieved on last years episode of the adventure show.

Strange....I find the Bealach Na Ba at least 3 times tougher than Buttertubs...toughest way up Buttertubs is from the Thwaite side...I did a route last year which did this then Fleetmoss, then Park Rash, then Oxnop...Buttertubs was by far the easiest.

I agree with the Lad about Wrynose East...one of the toughest out...the 2 biggies in the Lakes and the Bwlch are by quite some considreable distance the toughest I,ve did in the UK.

Hay Carbone if you thought Buttertubs was the hardest on the etape did you do the Coal Road ? cos that had to be the hardest climb of the day
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • abi26
    abi26 Posts: 18
    what about Dent hill....that hurt a lot.....
    or st neot in cornwall.....that, well i walked....but im sure dent hills steeper
  • John C.
    abi26 wrote:
    or st neot in cornwall.....that, well i walked....but im sure dent hills steeper
    By Dent Hill do you mean the one we went down on the Etape, past the station, I remember thinking at the time I'm glad we're going down this one not up. Those bends at the bottom curtainly tested my brakes :)

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Hay Carbone if you thought Buttertubs was the hardest on the etape did you do the Coal Road ? cos that had to be the hardest climb of the day[/quote]

I did the Coal Road this year(train station side) and did not think it was too bad - steep at the bottom but after that the gradient eased off and never got really steep again. The other side was steep at the bottom but again did not seem too bad after that. In the Dales I reckon that Park Rash is probably the worst offender for a real killer climb. Fleet Moss from Hawes is pretty steep near the top as well.

For me I have never cycled anything as bad Hardknott or Wrynose anywhere else in the UK but I have never cycled the the Bylch in Wales.
    Brian B.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Park Rash makes me wanna cry.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • I do have a lovely old AA book entitled `Steep Hills` which I think is pre-war & warns motorists of what to expect, back then some hills were attempted as a challenge to your motor - Singer even named a car `The Porlock` after it`s ability to repeatedly climb Porlock Hill & remain in one piece.
    Alongside the White Horse in Kilburn North Yorks there is a steep but thankfully short climb - once had a great picture of Sean Yates in his beefy days toiling up it - gets you to the top of Sutton Bank in the end. I`d need a triple & a push.
  • abi26
    abi26 Posts: 18
    John C. wrote:
    abi26 wrote:
    By Dent Hill do you mean the one we went down on the Etape, past the station, I remember thinking at the time I'm glad we're going down this one not up. Those bends at the bottom curtainly tested my brakes :)
    yes yes that one.....but we went up it the steep way travelling north.......is that the hill towards kirkby steven.......i believe it is
  • John C.
    I love Park Rash thats a good hill. I'm going to have to have a day in the lakes and do Hardknot and Wrynose. I suppose I should really ride them both turn round and do them the other way. I'd better get a bit of practice in, Rosedale and Church Houses will get a few more visits as will my little back yard hill Sneck Yat. Love them all :lol:

• Anonymous
    John C. wrote:
    I love Park Rash thats a good hill. I'm going to have to have a day in the lakes and do Hardknot and Wrynose. I suppose I should really ride them both turn round and do them the other way. I'd better get a bit of practice in, Rosedale and Church Houses will get a few more visits as will my little back yard hill Sneck Yat. Love them all :lol:

John.C,

Rosedales the steepest i've ever did, Blakey banks a nasty one aswell, Sneck Yates also a total killer, especially nearing the top....all the NY Moors climbs are brutal and great training for the Lakes, but be prepared for a hell of a lot worse with Wrynose and Hardknott, especially if your doing both directions in a there and back ride...I would say Hardknott West and Wrynose East are at least 2/3 times tougher than any NY moor climb. and the Eastern ascent of Hardknott rivals anything in the NY Moors/Park Rash etc....

I was in flamingoland in April and did White Horse/Boltby/Blakey/Rosedale and then 1 week later did a practice FWC run...so I had very good comparisons of the climbs...and Hardknott West was way way tougher than any i did in the Moors -different league altogether!.......be prepared!
  • Hi Rich
    Just a quick hello from sunny Tenerife and hope you are all keeping well. I see you are still riding the big hills like you were in Tenerife.
    Regards
    Alan (videoman)