Bealach na Ba - 4 weeks to go

124»

Comments

• Hi,

I asked one of the emergency guys at the end about the guy that fell at the first cattle grid. He apparently broke the socket around his eye, but apart from that he was ok. :(

I’ve just about dried out and spent most of this afternoon cleaning the bike. Seems like I nearly finished off my brake blocks on the decent of the hill. That was terrifying,

On the hill, I had dibbed and was nearly round the corner when I noticed my mate was still at the dibbing station. I then went back down to see what was wrong. He was packing his jacket, doing his hair and generally mucking about. That didn’t do much for my climb time. When we started again I saw the guy with the broken gear coming down the hill. He didnae look happy.
    Actually I thought the climb wasn’t too bad until I got blown off the bike. I then spent ages skiting about in my cleats thrying to get up the hill. Looking down the road there were a lot of people walking.

About 60 –65 miles was my worst bit, I was struggling on those sharp climbs.

All in all a cracking weekend. Looking. I met Noodles as well. So that was a bonus.

The Ythan team did ok. The ones that did it last year all improved and the rest of us came in about where we thought we would. I did a 6hrs 35. Plenty of scope for improvement.

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and all the locals and marshals for their efforts.

Oh and nice to meet you Noodley
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    Hope the guy at the first cattle grid makes a full recovery I believe he was from Glasgow Wheelers I passed him just after he took the fall never a nice thing to see I felt really bad for him.

It was a right brutal day at one point I was in my lowest gear out of the saddle trying to get over 5mph on the flat! Got back in just over 6hrs30mins had a lot of problems with my gears I was hope to get back in under 6hrs and I lost a few things as well on the ride my bike has taken a fair battering too lol.

I drover back over the course this morning to see if I could find the things I lost but I reckon they are gone for good, anyway it was a great day up there today clear blue skys a great day for a cycle up the Bealach-na-Ba but thats Scotland for you.

Despite losing some stuff, getting soaked, upsetting my gears I wouldn't ask for a refund.

Hope everyone is fine and well.
  • The big climb didn't seem as long or as hard as reported, but the hills after Applecross certainly took some effort. The tailwind home was brilliant - I felt quite fresh by the time I climbed of the bike at 5.22, but I was creeping up some of the last hills before Shieldaig!
    I found a 39 x 25 was fine,
    Organisation was good, and the bean stew at the finsh was excellent.
    cheers to all - lets hope the weather is better next year.
  • Great day despite the soaking. The rubbish weather at least had the decency to clear slightly for the majority of the climb so I got the benefit of taking off my rain jacket. The rollercoaster along the peninsular road destroyed me, as ever. Decents were scary in the wet as testified to by the quantity of brake scum I cleaned off my bike today. The tailwind along glen torridon was heaven sent.
    Many thanks to all the marshalls, organisers and spectators. Not a great day to stand on the edge of a road.
    Thanks also to all those whose wheels I sucked to the base of the climb. It helped me get 5.33.
    Cheers,
    Jase
  • rendo wrote:
    SteveNcp wrote:
    I think that that's without doubt the wettest I have ever been on a bike and there was about half a litre of water in my frame at the finish. Nearly got blown off the road on a couple of occasions. I just managed to crack my 5 hour goal though, getting home in 4:52 for 20th. overall and third M50. Well chuffed :)

stevencp

must be a fault with the 928L, i just 'emptied' mine today, and had about the same. must come in thro at the seatclamp.

Not sure where it's getting in Rendo as I had a piece of inner tube taped over the seatclamp and had also taped over that weird 'non-drain' hole in the underside of the downtube. I think the fault is more in not having a drain hole under the BB - may have to drill one.

I didn't see any other 928Ls on the course, but did spot one on the roof of a car (Audi?) filling up at the Gleaner garage in Contin on Friday afternoon - perhaps that was you..
  • HP40
    HP40 Posts: 39
    It's a real shame about the faller on the first cattle grid. When I drove into Kinlochewe that morning, going downhill and over the grid I thought it the longest grid I've ever seen. What kind of cattle do they have up there?

The weather and wind direction made the event feel much different from last year - last year, the charge to Tornapress, the swift Bealach downhill, the losing battle against the wind after Torridon. This year replaced by a slow march to Tornapress, the other-worldly descent of Bealach, and a TT pace over the last ten.

Up to Lochcarron, I was lucky to join up with a good bunch containing many Johnstone Wheelers. Cheers to Doug, and the others for doing most of the work - I did take a turn when the frontmen moved over! - and for being a friendly bunch.

On the Bealach I took it really easy, but was taken aback by the wind in the stretch to the hairpins. Many walked, but because I walked last year was determined not to. It was a challenge not to get off when doing about 4 mph, and strange psychologically not knowing how far it was to the hairpins because you couldn't see them - visibility was so poor. My time was 48 minutes, five more than last year, but I was happy just to not die doing it.

Going over the top was surreal. You knew there was a dib point, but couldn't bloody see it until you were there! The downhill had few of the thrills of last year, strong winds, lashing rain, poor visibility. I think I wore out my four brake blocks, and my fingers felt numb with cold doing so.

I hooked up with a chap called Euan for a good part of the run to Torridon and we shared a lot of work. Cheers Euan. I'd trained with up-down-up-down after the Bealach in mind, and was glad I did. It didn't kill me like last year.

For the run from Torridon to the finish I put my head down and hammered it. The wind was so kind. When I saw the 400 metres to go sign I was elated.

At the end - 5h 36m - I'd taken over 35 minutes off last year's time. I was over the moon for about ten seconds, then I saw my mate Rob at the finish line. I knew I'd finished ahead of him. He had went down at the level crossing and his wheel got bent. Broom waggoned after 24 miles. I was gutted for him.

But I'll be back next year, as will Rob.
  • rendo
    rendo Posts: 194
    [/quote]

Not sure where it's getting in Rendo as I had a piece of inner tube taped over the seatclamp and had also taped over that weird 'non-drain' hole in the underside of the downtube. I think the fault is more in not having a drain hole under the BB - may have to drill one.

I didn't see any other 928Ls on the course, but did spot one on the roof of a car (Audi?) filling up at the Gleaner garage in Contin on Friday afternoon - perhaps that was you..[/quote]

steve i think that hole in the down tube may well be a drain hole. i have a feling the seat tube is sealed. i looked in the tupe with the seatpost out and the join between the seat and top tube is sealed. i expect it maybe the same at the bb. i was a bit worried that the water may damage the bottom bracket but i am sure it would seap out thro the threads. i also thought about drilling the bb shell, but will check the above out first.

strangely i was in an audi, but we didn't stop for fuel. i saw a couple, one in particular with gold hubs and rims, and another black and gold one.

apologies for being off topic
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The big climb didn't seem as long or as hard as reported, .

Never did the sportif but I've climbed the Bealach a good few times...it always amuses me when I see statements like this...as I always usually think 'I must just be a sh*t cyclist' as I find this climb very difficult....I've been up tons of killers in the UK and the continent...and the Bealach Na Ba is 4th toughest climb I've yet did in the UK..i'd say equal with the Struggle in the Lakes....ok its not the steepest but it is pretty steep -around 20% after around 7kms of continious ascent...and at 9kms long its near in a world of its own in terms of length in the UK....lovely climb and worth of huge respect in my book.

I wonder what people would say if it finished with this climb after being around the coastal road?
  • Never did the sportif but I've climbed the Bealach a good few times...it always amuses me when I see statements like this...as I always usually think 'I must just be a sh*t cyclist' as I find this climb very difficult....

Well, I didn't mean it was easy, just not as hard as I had heard, from people on this forum and elsewhere. I guess I was prepared for something even tougher, and for the possibility that I would have to climb off and walk. But it turned out to be a fairly straighforward long hill. Those who said that the worst bit was before the hairpins were spot on.
    It certainly would be tougher to hit this climb after the coast road, The climb looked as if it would be a bit easier from Applecross - certainly the wind would have been more favourable. But the coast road was more tiring, even with tail wind
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Just got back home after 8 hours in the car but what a journey home through Fort William / Glencoe. Magical scenery - and of course the bloody sun came out didnt it!

Well, that's twice I've done this event, and for me it just gets better and better. I'll be back next year. I was pretty gobsmacked to find I'd knocked 20 minutes off last years time and managed a 6:02. No way was I predictingthat on the Bealach! Bloody furious now that I didn't get under 6, and while I'd like to say I could have gone harder - who am I trying to kid.
    The wind on the Bealach climb was pretty awful and as I came around that bend before the 2 long ramps, I almost came to a standstill! Fair play to the 2 nutters on fixed wheel. Hope your knees have recovered ;-) I was 5 minutes slower on the climb this year which was disappointing.
    Found the coast road from Applecross much easier this year with mainly a tailwind apart from the top section (which was bloody excruciating).
    The last 10 miles up Glen Torridon? Probably about the best I've ever felt on a bike - seriously. I was really quite sad to see the finish - I didn't want it to end!

Gutted for Arranandy who we stayed in the bunkhouse with. Nice to see him cheering us in at the finish. Thanks.
    And once again - big thanks to the locals - what a day to stand by the roadside cheering and clapping a bunch of total strangers dressed in slightly garish clothing.
    Another great day - I'll be back!
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • The official event pics from the big climb are up on Northsport

Camera 2, Gallery B02, page 1/4, bottom 2 rows, in the red top is me.
    Anyone else care to identify themselves for the record :-)
  • This is me here, I was enjoying this bit, Honest :shock:

http://www.northsport.com/bmhor07/fr1.html
  • rendo
    rendo Posts: 194
    found me

camera 1, gallery A03, top row 3 from left,

looking f--ked at the top

camer 2, gallery B03, 3rd page, first two pictures

still might buy a pic or two this time, the prints in the hall looked great.
    might be good to stick it on the fridge door!!!!!!!!
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Well I managed to do it and didn't get blown of my bike (unlike some)

on Saturday morning though I was not looking forward to it, the sight of horizontal rain was not encouraging.

Good news , a new personal best! 5 Hours 52mins 07secs, over 26 minutes better than last year.

My target was 6 hours so I am well chuffed (have to admit on sat morning I thought it would take nearer 7 hours with the conditions)

Had some mechanical problems - chain jammed and bent the front deraillier just after Applecross resulting in only being able to use the smaller cog. I had to get off and attempt to fix it, not too bad a job, but chain did come off several times subsequently.

Things I have learned.
      I am useless on big hills - took me an 1 hour and 40 secs to climb (last year 1hour 4 mins) After this summer, I can now cycle in any conditions (formerly a fair weather cyclist) Wet cattle grids and level crossings are to be respected
      Met up with a few of the forummers HP40, who parked next to me - sorry to hear about Rob - he seemed reasonably cheery all things considered - better luck next year Noodley - Good to see you again. I had hoped to catch up with you at the ceilidh afterwards but took a mad notion to drive down the road to Ayr after the race. Wakemalcolm - Thanks for helping me to the finishline in under 6 hours Overall thoroughly enjoyed it. Will I do it again - off course - if I can book quickly enough.
  • rabk
    Woo hoo!

Just checked the results. I finished 169th (last year 254th) :D

Now I need to sort out my hill climbing. My time up the hill is an embarassment compared to the rest of the ride. :oops:
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Rabcp wrote:
    Woo hoo!

Now I need to sort out my hill climbing. My time up the hill is an embarassment compared to the rest of the ride. :oops:

well done rab :D

I didn't stay for the shindig either. I had to go out with the kids yesterday afternoon so had to get down the road on Saturday.

Good meeting up with everyone, and I'll maybe see you again next year. I may even make an effort. :lol::lol:
  • rabk
    Noodley wrote:
    Rabcp wrote:
    Woo hoo!

well done rab :D

I didn't stay for the shindig either. I had to go out with the kids yesterday afternoon so had to get down the road on Saturday.

Good meeting up with everyone, and I'll maybe see you again next year. I may even make an effort. :lol::lol:

Thanks Noodley

Hopefully catch up at some point - I have an idea for another forum ride so keep your eyes peeled
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Phew! That was bloody hard. Finished in 6 hrs 44 - i'd been aiming for sub-7 so was pleased with that; and 57:15 on the climb. Thought the climb was OK until the corner where you just see it ramp up towards the hairpins, and then i could have cried, trying to turn at 4mph and not be blown sideways. Stopped for a breather and someone passed and said "nae shame in a wee walk" and i had to agree, so started to push. The descent was horrible: brakes on full, fingers frozen to the levers and still doing 20mph! I stopped at the toilets in Applecross and was shivering violently - took ages to warm up on the damn coastal road to Shieldaig, but as someone else mentioned, those Applecross flapjacks were like rocket fuel and really helped. The last 10 miles were great though. Thanks to everyone who organised and helped - the support was ace; and hope the injured are all OK. Hello also to John from Forfar who i was with for a while; chatting to him made the long drag to Lochcarron in the headwind much more bearable.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • Hi,

I had some friends up on the Bealach, and Peter Smith's mother, Morag works alongside me. She's asked me to pass on an update on his condition after the crash.

Peter suffered a fracture to his cheekbone and the orbit of his eye, and as a result has lost sight in that eye, possibly permanently. He also has difficulty moving his limbs on one side. He's now down in Gartnavel Hospital in Glasgow, and we hope his condition improves as the swelling goes down.

She's asked that if you want to send on your best wishes you can email him:

pete dot smith at hotmail dot co dot uk

Alternatively if you want to send a card, you can do it via our office address:

Morag Smith
    c/o IDOX Group PLC
    1st Floor, Tontine House,
    8 Gordon Street,
    Glasgow G1 3PL

Any eyewitness reports would also be appreciated; Pete's recollection is understandably fuzzy and his brother who'd gone up for the ride didn't make it in time to register, so didn't find out what had happened until much later. Thanks again for your support.

Brian Ewins
  • rabk
    Brian

Oh that is awful, I'm terribly sorry to hear that.

Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

Thanks for letting us know, I'll send my best wishes seperately
  • Brian

I was about 100 yards directly behind Peter when he went down. He was tracking arrow straight perpendicular to the grid so was surprised to see him fall. I remember seeing his head move to the left but it's hard to say whether that was as a result of or the cause of him falling. By the time I got there he was out cold but a first aider and a marshall had already identified themselves. Looked nasty and I hope he makes a full recovery.

Could you come back on here every few days to let us know the progress?

Thanks.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    blim wrote:
    Hello also to John from Forfar who i was with for a while; chatting to him made the long drag to Lochcarron in the headwind much more bearable.

er, hello blim. what a small world!! :lol:

It was good riding with you as well. Hope I didn't slow you too much. You certainly flew up that hill after Lochcarron.
  • Rabcp wrote:

Wakemalcolm - Thanks for helping me to the finishline in under 6 hours

No no Rab, thank you for helping me take 26 minutes off last year's time. Credit also to the guy tailing us who opened up the sprint for the line about 6 miles out. Certainly set the adrenhaline flowing. Sadly all this still meant just over 6 hours but at least I have something to come back for.

Despite the unfortunate incidents (both the cattle grid and the railway crossing ones played out in front of me) I'm coming round to the idea that saturday's weather was actually ideal conditions for a good time: into a headwind when the bunches were largely together, a tailwind when people were more fragmented and cold and wet to guard against dehydration (still cramped a little, mind).

There was a surreal moment when I'm sure the 60+ Moulton lady from the Bealach Beag passed me heading in the opposite direction about 5 miles from Shieldaig. Was a broken man by that point so I could have been hallucinating. Did anyone else see her?
  • very well done to you all, my partner took part and completed in just over 6 hours, i took some footage on my digicam which you can see here

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=stonethacrows

maybe you can spot yourself amongst the cyclists i filmed at the start and finish, see you all next year
  • kend
    kend Posts: 13
    Brian

Cheers for the update on Pete Smith. Terrible news. Wish him all the best and a speedy recover. Will drop him an email.

I may have forgotten to say so in my last post, but big thanks to all the marshalls, organisers, supporters etc etc. Top effort all round!
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    There was a surreal moment when I'm sure the 60+ Moulton lady from the Bealach Beag passed me heading in the opposite direction about 5 miles from Shieldaig. Was a broken man by that point so I could have been hallucinating. Did anyone else see her?

No, you weren't hallucinating, I saw her too stood by the roadside somewhere up around Shieldaig I think (but I can't remember where exactly).

Didn't see you this year though, and I see we did very similar times.
    Like you, I'll be back next year if possible. Brilliant event again.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Noodley wrote:
    blim wrote:
    Hello also to John from Forfar who i was with for a while; chatting to him made the long drag to Lochcarron in the headwind much more bearable.

er, hello blim. what a small world!! :lol:

It was good riding with you as well. Hope I didn't slow you too much. You certainly flew up that hill after Lochcarron.

That climb just went on and on: I was glad you'd warned me about it beforehand. Never been so glad of a triple in my life!
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    If anyone is interested in the Bealach DVD I can highly recommend it for £5.

I seen myself a few times and a few other forum members according to the photos that are linked too and yes the 60+ Moulton lady from the Bealach Beag going the other way :)
  • very well done to you all, my partner took part and completed in just over 6 hours, i took some footage on my digicam which you can see here

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=stonethacrows

maybe you can spot yourself amongst the cyclists i filmed at the start and finish, see you all next year

Stonethecrows, I just appear in shot at 3:57.5 of the 3:58 long film. Did it end there or is that just as much as you wanted to load up?

Cheers