Ban bikes in cities

13»

Comments

• richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Think we should applaud Phil the Car for coming here & putting his case forward with such decorum in what could have been hostile territory. Freedom of expression is one thing we never ever want to lose.

I do use the local cycle facilties provided for my commute (NCN 5 - takes me through local parks & along the canal - 90% of my journey is away from the road) - though sections of it are in such a poor state that it means I ride a bike with suspension to make it more bearable (mostly tree roots growing under the tarmac making it very lumpy - you woldn't want to drive your car across it). Unlike the bigger 4x4 car, the off road (mountain) bike is no less environmentally friendly than a road bike. I choose to cycle for health reasons (it's helped me lose over a stone in weight & works wonders for how stressed I am at work). I do have a car & public transport from home to work is relatively good (& faster than cycling) so I'll use all three at different times of the week as & when each is appropriate.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    RichK wrote:
    Think we should applaud Phil the Car for coming here & putting his case forward with such decorum in what could have been hostile territory. Freedom of expression is one thing we never ever want to lose.

Indeed. And shame on those here who were ruder than necessary. (I'd like to point out that reference to "Mr. Toad" is a literary allusion, not an insult as such.)
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Gambatte wrote:
    Anyone else from Cyclechat as well?
    Anyone feel the potential for a 'nethalus/random' thread developing?

Glad this didn't happen..

:)
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    I don't understand the single person with a family comment. Yes it is easier if that is you, but why is that a reason to ban them?? By that reason we should ban buses as they are only fit for the short people (apparently) mini's, smart cars and probably trains as again unsuitable for tall people! One method of transport isn't suitable for all, doesn't mean we should ban it!

And whats wrong with internet shopping with delivery? Pretty much anyone can get it delivered (well, apart from me!!)

It's not that people can't change, they just don't want to.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Does he not know that the motor car (using internal combustion) is also a Victorian vehicle the first practical ones being build in the 1880s. (MacMillans cycle was buil in 1839 according to the entry on wikipedia)

Different ends of the Victorian era but both Victorian invesntions none the less.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Has this show gone out yet? Does this explain the slight increase in attitude I noticed today from car drivers or was it just random noise?
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    mea00csf wrote:
    I don't understand the single person with a family comment. Yes it is easier if that is you, but why is that a reason to ban them?? By that reason we should ban buses as they are only fit for the short people (apparently) mini's, smart cars and probably trains as again unsuitable for tall people!

Knowing where to sit to get decent leg room is the trick on buses, hint at the back, usually the ones at the front of the set of seats over the wheels and the one in front of the back seat and usually the back seat if you sit in the middle.

Trains are like buses, knowing where the leg room is, is valuable.

Have I released my thoughts on Minis here yet? Don't remember doing it. They may be the cultural icon that took motorised private transport from the Motorbike and Side Car and 3 wheelers to 4 wheeled wonders. But they are bloody stupid things, even when they were designed the technology was out of date and other small cars (like the Imp, Saab 93 and 95/96)) [Though all more expensive and bigger than a mini] had proper doors, locks, seats, windows, engines etc etc etc. Oh and with very few changes Rover were still selling the damn things in the 90's still with different keys for each lock, electrical system which has almost no shielding from water ingress, An engine and chassis which had received no development for over 40 years. It lacked features that were standard on everything else in the 70s.

Though admittedly I thought Side Impact bars were new when the telly adverts appeared showing how good cars with them were in side impacts. that was until I realised the things were in SAABs and Volvos from the late 60s.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Has this show gone out yet? Does this explain the slight increase in attitude I noticed today from car drivers or was it just random noise?

The original piece went out in July. The program were looking for people to put forward oposing views,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/theoneshow/contact/
  • I'm slightly disappointed that Phil hasn't actually tried to defend the notion that bikes should be banned, though I hope that just means he's realised it's a rather silly idea, given his explained basis for it.

We can all get along, and for the most part, we do!
    John Stevenson
  • Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    If anybody wants to give the DfT some pointers on cycle infrastructure there is currently an open consultation.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/infrastructuredesign/

I mostly agree with the document they have drawn up. Pity most councils just ignore it and paint a white line down the pavement instead.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    that's a good document - at least it will give us a little more ammunition to beat the councils with when they do something stupid
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    So far I've been sad enough to read about 50% of that and I fear I may endup reading the lot
    :oops: