Please can you make me an admin/mod?

13»

Comments

• Big n Daft
    Big n Daft Posts: 418
    No but you are throwing nonsensical comments about.

I'm sorry, i'm really not trying to cause a row here, but as has been said before....there are not many complaints being made that are either:

a) resolvable.

b) worth treating with any sort of seriousness.

All i've seen is the same old thing on thread after thread....

'It's shit' 'You never should have done it' 'Give us back the old forums'

It's not going to happen, thats the simple truth.

Those who vehemently disagreed have gone elsewhere and made their own forums, they havnt been forced out, they made that choice, they will stand by it, of that i'm sure.

I say good luck to them, they stood by their principles, they didnt like, they left. You cant ask for anymore. I'd also say, they would be welcomed back to this forum, if and when it becomes what they find interesting.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x42/ ... 3Small.jpg
  • Who me
    Who me Posts: 493
    All I'm saying is that the change was poorly managed; I'm not saying the change shouldn't have happened but it has not gone at alll well.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Yeah, but you're saying it like there's anyone left who hasn't noticed that yet.
  • Big n Daft
    Big n Daft Posts: 418
    Well would you agree that as 'unwilling or not' beta testers the onus should fall on us to make the best forum we can?

Making suggestions that are reasonable and achievable is surely better than people posting the same old moans on numerous threads?

Yes, it hasn't gone well, but i wonder how much of that has been down to the reluctance of some people to give it a chance instead of buying in and making it better?
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x42/ ... 3Small.jpg
  • maurice
    maurice Posts: 151
    Big Red S wrote:
    maurice wrote:
    Big Red S wrote:
    Traditionally, alpha releases are the first functional releases, only to developers and people with too much time on their hands. Alpha releases are intended to find and iron out massive bugs and check usability.
    Beta releases are tested on real people. Well, real willing people.
    This is the Beta release. You can't have a beta release without releasing it. I suppose when I said 'ready for release' i meant 'ready for stable release'.

To be fair that is crap. You don't force beta standard software on your end users, you might use it to give them a preview, confirm/update requirements, use it to test for more complex bugs. Even saying that, I'm not sure the first enforced release of the bike radar forums was even of a beta standard as it was missing major features (although now it's improving).

You might want to try to look past games as the only type of software, the only people in their right minds that test commercial software are those that get paid to do it, inc. me.

But there is no real way to run a beta and a stable release of a forum in paralell.

Of course there is. While other forums still running, post a link to new demo 'beta' bike radar forum. Users go into site and point out obvious flaws, i.e. blinding white/blue colour scheme, lack of proper search (or hidden away search), post counts missing, bb code, uppercase usernames, all forums on the one page, missing forums etc. Bikeradar team then make the necessary adjustments and give us a proper 'release' version.
  • Mike Skinner
    Mike Skinner Posts: 9,657
    Could one of the old MBUK peeps who knows/trusts/loves me PM me the address of 'the other place'.

I've never had urge to use it, and I was vaguelly looking forward to this change, but the parts of the old forum I enjoyed seem to have passed on so I will probabl slowly be drifting away, and don't want to lose contact with ex riding buddies off the forum.

My personal complaints, which really come down to what I want from the forum, rather than faults in this new forum:

I want the sillyness, immaturity and basic fun of the sandbox. The sandbox in here is dead.

I'm not interested in a general full of guestions that are basically belonging in 'tech'

I'm not interested in an 'off-topic' that is full of people asking how to sort out their bank accounts'

I haven't been interested enough in the forum yet to explore the rediculous number of mini-forums in order to find out if their is good conversation elsewhere in here.

From my attempts to be a sociable member of this forum I've found a mass amount of very dull 'fact' based topics (I have no problem with tech sections, they are important, but not all sections should be as such), and I feel the melding of the forums has brought along clashing conversational interests, with few of the forums working well, as people try to use them all rather than stick to what they know, and basicvally different people want to talk about different things, which can't happen in one area.

Hope it kicks off in here, but I feel it will be without my imput for the time being, aside from occasional check-backs.

As I say, please PM or email me the 'other place' so I can keep in contact with some old friends.