How can I keep up

walkeragain
walkeragain Posts: 20
I've done a few races this year and every race I lose out on about lap 3-4 and then start going backwards if not dropped, how Can I train to be able to keep up in racing? I've been cycling for about 3 years and only taken it seriously this year. I'd like to be able to keep up and not get lapped for once. Any hints and tips on what I can do training wise?
Where did all the Elephants go?

Comments

• mossycp
    mossycp Posts: 233
    What training do you do now?
    Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}
  • mossycp wrote:
    What training do you do now?

I do about 150-200 miles a week mainly commuting and a big ride at weekends, but no real training structure of sorts
  • Intervals need to be in there somewhere...you mention laps, so assume you're riding crits? Intervals will train you to go flat out (and will have a significant effect on your speed) and to recover reptitively, just what you need for crit racing. I would say your current training is more suited to a sportive.....
  • Intervals need to be in there somewhere...you mention laps, so assume you're riding crits? Intervals will train you to go flat out (and will have a significant effect on your speed) and to recover reptitively, just what you need for crit racing. I would say your current training is more suited to a sportive.....

Any effect interval workouts I can do?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Any effect interval workouts I can do?

Anything that takes you right into the red zone (ie 95%+ max heart rate) for a minute or so and then allow your pulse to drop..............and do it again..........and again :shock:

Could try and fit it into your commute (sprinting for 1 minute flat out and then ride steady for 2 minutes............for 10 repetitions), or something more specific (is there a short steepish climb you can hammer up nearby, then ride back down and repeat?).

Using a heart rate monitor while you do it would be beneficial. Don't forget to warm up (15 mins) and down (10 mins) either side of an interval session.
  • I'll give that a bash Bronzie, I have a mass of Short Sharp hills near where I live, probably more of them than flat stuff so should not be a problem
  • Well either do turbo type intervals, where you set a time "on" (at high effort) and off (the interval). Alternatively, you can do what Valverde amongst others do, and thats just fit in sprints (for signs, hills, anything) at random on a normal training ride. Its called fartlek, whjich is scandinavian (Finnish?) for speedplay. In both cases, the efforts are hard as hell interspersed with an interval of recovery. You do need to give yourself a couple of days minimum between interval training days to allow for your bpody to recover and adapt.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I have raced this year and I have not done any interval training at all.
    Interval training may help you but there are other alternatives to get you up to speed.
    You may find it better to go and ride with some other racers either on a chain gang or on a fast club run where they will be going hard several times.
    Interval training can be really boring and you have to be very disciplined to do it.
    Intervals are a must for TTers but not necessarily for road racing.
    I find it easier riding with fast groups on club runs as there is a bit of competitiveness involved and this can drive you further.
    You can also measure your improvement against other guys.
    It will also improve your riding skills as you will learn where to ride in a group fr best shelter which helps you keep up. If your riding in bad positions in a race you will get dropped easily, unless of course you get veru good doing intervals and you can ride off the fron and win :D It will also improve your cornerring skills.
  • Yeah my cornering could do with a little work as well.
    Ok I'll try all the mentioned tips and see how I get on
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    More racing as well - nothing better training wise !