Good luck to only national champ on the forum (I think)

chrisw12
chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
Do you know who it is yet.

Good luck Paul (sub 55) in the 24 hr.

If you read this, any thoughts leading up to the big one, are you ready?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Oh another Nat. champ on the forum. not that i have seem much of Magnus on the forum recently.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • why are you not riding this Chris???

Now a 24 IS bonkers. I cant imagine ever wanting to do this, so good luck to everyone taking part. One of my work colleagues and club rival is riding, so good luck to one of the other Pauls.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Do you know who it is yet.

Good luck Paul (sub 55) in the 24 hr.

If you read this, any thoughts leading up to the big one, are you ready?

Thanks Chris, thats really made my day. :oops:

completely slipped my mind until i read this, :wink: now got to sort 2 bikes,lights, food, clothes, wet clothes spare wheels for lo-pro, spare wheels for night bike,and keep the wife happy cos i wont be there all weekend :wink::wink:
    seriously, i`m all ready to go. must admit to being slightly apprehensive though.
    always gone into this event being fairly quick, but struggling for indurance miles, although this year is a complete reverse, if i can get my head round a 5hr for the first 100, should be alright after that, because it becomes a mental race in the night section. it was also slightly easier last year, being the outsiders and not really being expected to win. but to go in as a defending champion means everything to loose, although i have a good team around me, with hoppo and chris. would also be nice to make the double with the national 12hr next week. which will be the same team but with the inclusion of the defending champion, oliver.
    you boys at the acme ought to have a go at this,you`d be good at it.
    cheers paul
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • chrisw12
    I suppose keeping the wife happy is the most difficult bit. :D

Your last point about the acme is an interesting one. I think that Colin May and Ryan would have made excellent 24hr riders, those two have a mental strength second to none imo. Carl however was/is probably the most talented (but less mental strength) and I'm sure I could have slotted in as backup. In the past you could have had Kevin Bartlemore who's done 260+ in the 12 and Steve Ed who's also from the Rhondda and I'm surpirsed that no one made any attempts to get up a team.

It's gone a bit pear shaped this year though. The 'one hit wonder' syndrome has kicked in and I think I'm the only one left. Lots of rumours of comebacks for next season so watch this space.

It's funny but I suggested to Colin and Ryan that we should have a go at the 24 hr as a team (suggested after a few pints :D .) you boys steel my idea and win the thing so well done to you. It's so nice to see a Welsh team do well in probably the HARDEST event.
  • Well I'll admire anyone who rides a 10 up in Cheshire this weekend given the weather forecast, let alone 24 hours...
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Well I'll admire anyone who rides a 10 up in Cheshire this weekend given the weather forecast, let alone 24 hours...
    Me too. I suppose you don't let a little rain stop you setting off on a ride you've been training for all year, but it must make the thought of what you're going to put yourself through quite a bit more daunting. They're all incredibly tough cookies, if not just a tad crazy............

Good luck to Paul, though I'm sure he's departed for the event by now.
  • chrisw12
    Awsome ride Paul, (todays 24hr) To think you were winning at 100 miles! Given I beat you by 1 second last time we raced, what does that mean I could have done :lol::lol:

12hr next week? Then Welsh 12hr? Or retiring? :D
  • BeaconRuth
    Is he still asleep?! :D
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    cheers chris, i`ve come round abit now.
    ride was alright but not great. went off too hard in the first 100but thats par for the course for me i`m afraid. always seem to get caught up in the early excitement !
    then lost it abit in the night section ,mentally not physically. always seem to be looking for an excuse to stop for 10 mins, this is where the mentally stronger riders do so well.
    also found the fact that we could`nt use the qunta brook circuit ,because it was flooded mentally tough. normally it`s nice to drop onto there ,it`s a change of scenery ,reletivly short laps and you feel that you can knock them out with a purpose . still same for everybody ,so no complaints there. came away with another championship medal to my name. which means there`s an endless stream of social engagements again this year.
    definately wont be riding it next year, going to concentrate on my shorter distances ,i think. but may well return in 2009. national 12 this weekend , very touch and go who`s going to win the team in this one, but there`s no harm in trying. see you at the welsh 100 i suspect. all the best paul
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • BeaconRuth
    Many congratulations Paul.

(I did congratulate you on another thread but you may not have seen it.)