Assos chamois cream and ridding on the nose.

chrisw12
chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
Perhaps I should post this in know how, but I'm not actually sure if any of them actually ride their bikes, so I thought I'd ask my training buddies. :D It is training related as training is starting to become painful.

Ok starting to prepare for the 12hr now with lots of miles on THE BIKE in THE POSITION. Things are starting to go rather nasty in the groinal area. I went to a lbs and they recomended asssos chamois cream which I'm going to try tomorrow. Now assuming it works, is there anything out there that is similar but cheaper, there must be a cheaper alternative to assos.

Now say it doesn't work, I'm currently on a normal Arione, I'm thinking about making the change to perhaps a more tt specific saddle. Anyone moved from a normal road saddle to say a slr tt or an arione tt?

Comments

• chrisw12 wrote:
    Perhaps I should post this in know how, but I'm not actually sure if any of them actually ride their bikes, so I thought I'd ask my training buddies. :D It is training related as training is starting to become painful.

Ok starting to prepare for the 12hr now with lots of miles on THE BIKE in THE POSITION. Things are starting to go rather nasty in the groinal area. I went to a lbs and they recomended asssos chamois cream which I'm going to try tomorrow. Now assuming it works, is there anything out there that is similar but cheaper, there must be a cheaper alternative to assos.

Now say it doesn't work, I'm currently on a normal Arione, I'm thinking about making the change to perhaps a more tt specific saddle. Anyone moved from a normal road saddle to say a slr tt or an arione tt?

Chris, I have had major saddle "issues". The most comfortable by far for me was the Selle Italia SLR T1, because its nose is wider and has lots more padding. I can actually stay seated for an entire 10 on this one! As for cream, I use sudocreme (shoudl that be pseudocream) which is for babies nappy rash. Drapolene is similar and it works fine for preventing chaffing and sore spots.
  • MartinCo
    MartinCo Posts: 8
    Saddle sores or rubs of any sort. try this. Bad name but bl**dy marvelous results. cheaper than assos too.

www.crotchguard.com
  • andyBcp
    andyBcp Posts: 1,726
    I've tried several creams, and although efficient, assos is v.expensive on a regular basis. I'm currently using the Portia cream, which can be ordered from Ribble, and this seems to do the job for 1/3 of the price.
    The crotchguard product sounds good as a skin application, but for a 12hr event, would work best in conjuction with a chamois based product for total reassurance.

Saddle wise, there are 3 main TT saddles worth considering:
    San Marco Aspide Triathgel
    Fizik Arione Tri
    Selle Italia SLR T1
    There is also the Blackwell adamo saddle(from Dolan) which looks promising, but I dont know anyone who's used it yet.

I use the San Marco, which is v.comfortable, and I have friends who use the others who are also happy for long period 'in the position', so it's your choice.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I use a Selle Italia NT1 saddle on my TT bike. I think it's actually an MTB saddle, but I find I can sit on the very wide nose quite comfortably for a 25............whereas, last time I used a Flite, I couldn't feel my old fella for 2 days afterwards...........not nice. :cry:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360022448

Assos cream is good, but Sudocrem does the job as well............don't get the "Assos Tingle" with that though!!
  • MartinCo
    If you want to look after you skin. the crotch guard stuff is the stuff.

If you want "slippy on the day" vaseline is as good as anything and the cheapest.

Lots of it. Try watching that Hell on tour DVD and see how much zabel puts on his shorts. there should be enough to really feel bad when you put the shorts on.

i have heard of people mixing in germoline wthe vaseline. it has a slight local ansethetic effect. but i have never tried this.

if you have cuts or bad rubs already. Crotch guard. at 10 quid a bottle it will last 6 months if used once a day. i find that there is no need for any vaseline anymore, but i use crotch guard every day
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    A pharmacist told me that anything with zinc in it is good, and suggested the mega high factor sunblock which cricketers use. Sudocreme has zinc too - but it comes in a huge pot. So I take a jar of the sunblock when I'm touring.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • MartinL
    MartinL Posts: 102
    Metanium cream is better than sudocream and is usually found next to it in the chemists. It comes in a small yellow tube. It's good for road rash as well
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Luckily I haven't found the need to use any creams as yet, but my weekly mileages are increasing so may need to use it in the future.

It may be a silly question but where do you put it? :oops:

I assume you put it on your 'groinal area' that makes contact with the saddle and in the area at the top of your legs, but do you also put it on the synthetic chamois and towelling bit in your shorts?

Cheers.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Wait until you start to feel sore. The sore bits will be quite small. Some people never get sore! Don't waste cream by slathering it over vast areas that don't need it.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Update.

Rest day, new assos shorts and assos cream ment that I was able to actually sit on the saddle and thus knock 2mins of my previous 4hr training loop.

The cream defintiely works and assos shorts are the business, it's getting to the stage where they are the only ones I can wear.

I think I'll try experimenting with other creams and concoctions just for the hell of it.

Now the next problem, sore kneck. Only reply if you have ridden a tt bike for 10+ hours in the position and know a cure. :D I say that jokingly because I know there is no cure only the unthikable, sit up and ride on the hoods.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Vote for Sudocreme here too, though will admit to never having TT'd for 12 hours.
    I slather-on a liberal quantity....life's too short.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    I use Assos, if it's in my groin area it deserves to be looked after!
    ________
    Arizona Dispensary
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • MartinCo
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Update.

Rest day, new assos shorts and assos cream ment that I was able to actually sit on the saddle and thus knock 2mins of my previous 4hr training loop.

The cream defintiely works and assos shorts are the business, it's getting to the stage where they are the only ones I can wear.

I think I'll try experimenting with other creams and concoctions just for the hell of it.

Now the next problem, sore kneck. Only reply if you have ridden a tt bike for 10+ hours in the position and know a cure. :D I say that jokingly because I know there is no cure only the unthikable, sit up and ride on the hoods.

'brufen. Start taking it about Friday before the sunday. take it right through the race. do not ask me if you are allowed to do this as I have no idea. but i do know it helps (helped)me. I find getting a big wet sponge passed up during the race also helps alot, but that will depend on the weather i guess.

have the guys who are supporting you carry some anti rub cream or oil with them.

One tip I learned too late in 12s. have the guys who are feeding you write down what they give to you and when and then get them to look and see if they think you are eating and drinking enough. in my first 12 i failed to take a bottle on for the last 4 hours and finished with it half full. i had n,t noticed, but the guy feeding me had (it would have been even better if he had told me!). good luck