Sore Knee...again

Shadescp
Shadescp Posts: 34
hi,

i'm experiencing some pain on the outside or lateral part of my knee.

I first got it when - during a holiday in unfamilair terrain , plus wearing newly installed cleats - headed up a steep climb without a good warm-up. I think the cleats were also turned in a little too much. After 10-20 miles i got lateral knee pain. It came on quite quickly and soon was very painful indeed. I just managed to get myself home and was limping for the rest of the day.

I rested a few days and have since gradually (over 4 weeks ) increased my mileage until i was up to 3x30 mile bike rides per week. However, yesterday it came back after one moderate hour on a turbo trainer..

Any ideas what it is and how to recover? From basic research I'm wondering if it is ITB though the symptoms don't match perfectly.
I'm new to turbo training. Is it bad for knees? I was cycling at 70-80% max HRM for 1hr.

Comments

• ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    Hmm, ive been having the same problem in my left knee
    im not sure what the problem is either!!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Cleat position/lack of float? mebbe...?Move cleat outwards so foot/ knee doesn't 'roll' outwards under strain/when tired?
    Helped my hubby.
  • Ticaboy
    Ticaboy Posts: 314
    What shoes do use? Specialized Body Geometry shoes might be a good choice as they have been designed to compensate for awkward knee movements when clamped in.

Also, Time pedals allow for move float then many other pedal types too.
  • SeamusD
    SeamusD Posts: 30
    I bought some new shoes and Crank Brothers Quattros - their 3 hole cleats have no lateral adjustment at all. Made my toes point inwards at a very unnatural angle and my knees (which have played up in the past) both hurt a lot. Got to work with a Stanley knife and made some improvement but both knees still hurt during the London Cyclo Sportive. Had another go and think I've finally cracked it. Did the etape with no pain at all - though I'm sure some very low gears undoubtedly helped. Next time I'll look for some (hard to find) road shoes that take two hole cleats. I suggest you put your old shoes/pedals back on and see where your feet point and then try to change the cleat position on the new shoes until you get everything the same.
  • Shadescp
    Shadescp Posts: 34
    I was using shimano SPDs when i picked up the initial injury. I've since changed to Speedplay Zeros which have excellent flotation. But clearly my inital injury is lingering on and for some reason came back whilst on a turbo trainer.

Do you think it is a tight ITB that I read about?
    How long do you need to wait for these things to clear?
  • SeamusD
    SeamusD Posts: 30
    Looks like this may be one for the doctor?
    Never ridden speedplays, but although the eggbeaters (quattros) have loads of float, they still tend to pull back towards the centre. You can move your foot around, but if the basic angle isn't right, then it's your muscles/ligaments that are continually fighting the tendency of the cleat to put your foot in a position where it doesn't want to be.
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    Mine flared up again today
    im only 17 and i feel like an old bloke :( haha
  • Speedplay Zero's are the best but may not stop knee problems. Mine lingered around for ages until I rested it for 2 weeks with a full course of anti inflamatry tablets.