Snacking on rides when you have candida

Blonde
Blonde Posts: 3,188
I've been diagnosed by test that I have Candida and over 100IgA U/Ml too so really serious (normal is under 10). What do I eat on the bike? I am OK with cafe stops - I can have a baked potato and tuna (no sugary baked beans though of course) or any combination of non-dairy protein, veg and potatoes (v difficult to get brown rice or whole wheat pasta at British cafes!) but what can I eat on the bike? I have bought some brown rice cakes and oat cakes but they are so dry I simply cant swallow them when riding (dry mouth too - another Candida symptom) I cant use energy drink either of course so I am seriously bonking after 50 miles even with a baked potato stop. I have searched t'net but found nothing. My nutritionist aknolwedged that sticking to the ant-Candida diet whilst actually on the bike is going to be very difficult but I realise that the better I do it, the quicker I'll kill it off and be able to at least eat fruit again - I am missing it so much after only two days as I relied on it for snacks eating at least five pieces a day and now I cant even have my daily smoothie! I realise I can take chopped carrots and celery sticks, rice cakes with humous etc out with me, but I'll have to stop to eat them, and I''m not sure if i will get the same carb level as I would with a Powerbar or SIS Go bar? I know that up to 50 miles I may just about survive, but with 100 milers, esp in hills I need carbs. There must be someone else out there who cycles - 50-100 miles and manages Candida? Do I have to accept I can't do any rides of over an hour for a few months?

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    I think you will be okay to eat sugary foods while exercising as the sugars are removed quickly from the blood and used up by the muscles. I think it is generally having high blood sugars due to frequent snacking on sugary foods during the day that can promote yeast growth.

I am not a doctor or a sports nutritionist though so you will probably want to check that!! :D

Get well soon!
    ________
    Vaporizer Wholesale
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Blonde
    Yes, I wondered about that too. You may be right, I just don't know enough about it. The nutritionist said it would be best to try to stick to the diet as much as possible but did say it wouuld be hard whilst on the bike and that it wouldn't kill me not to. I think basically it is up to me. I don't want to end up doing what I did yesterday, ever again, though. I put off eating my powerbar, just hoping I wouldn't need to, until I was nearly at bonk point, before breaking it open and eating it anyway whilst shaking and feeling teary and irritable with low blood sugar. I need to be really organised about it if I am going to avoid doing this in future. I need to make a decison to either make somthing like a chapati , corn tortilla or buckweat dairy-free pancake, or just stick to the diet during the week but just accept that I need my Isostar drink and SIS Go/POwer bars on rides. As it was, I did neither and ended up in bonk-hell!
  • ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    Have you tried the Torq range of energy drinks,energy bars etc. they contain NO artificial sweetners
  • ermintrude wrote:
    Have you tried the Torq range of energy drinks,energy bars etc. they contain NO artificial sweetners

with the added comedy effect of giving you bad wind.... :)
  • NPH
    NPH Posts: 33
    There is a lot of rubbish written and pedalled about Candida
    Basically, if you are not diabetic, your body has a system for regulating sugars in the blood which is foolproof and developed from millions of years of evolution. Eat what you know you need to to cycle. Take whatever treatment a mainstream doctor might suggest for candida and stay heathy. If you exercise to the point of shakiness and stress then the part of you that will suffer the most is your immune system and candida will just laugh and get stronger. Listen to yourself, not what 'experts' tell you.
  • Blonde
    Yup. I'm going to my best during the week but after some advice from another cyclist who once had Candida, I think I'll have to use some energy bars whilst actually on the bike - the simple sugar in those shouldn't sit in the large intestine where the problem is, but should be used up straight away as I cycle. The problem is that you get told to do the 'ideal' diet which would be fine if you lay in bed for four weeks and did nothing, but it doesn't take into account having a 'real' life! I'll just have to adapt it slightly, to what my body can cope with.
  • rohloff-rich
    rohloff-rich Posts: 232
    Excuse my ignorance... what is Candida? :oops: :roll:
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Had a similar problem myself a few years back, anything yeasty or sugary caused bad effects

Once diagnosed, real effort to stick to it, know what you're going through, peanut butter coated oat cakes were my staple diet on the bike

Did find some half fruit/half veg cereal bars in a local health shop as the best compromise
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Blonde
    Rohloff-rich, Candida is overgrowth of yeast, usually associated with external symptoms such as skin/nail infections, thrush and athlete's foot, but sometimes in the gut lining and bowel - which is what I've got. In my case this was caused by a chest infection, taking anti-biotics that killed the 'good bacteria', then various viral infections, poor diet, training and a lot of stress in my life (house move, new job) meant I never got the good bacteria going again and Candida took hold.
  • rohloff-rich
    rohloff-rich Posts: 232
    Blonde wrote:
    Rohloff-rich, Candida is overgrowth of yeast, usually associated with external symptoms such as skin/nail infections, thrush and athlete's foot, but sometimes in the gut lining and bowel - which is what I've got. In my case this was caused by a chest infection, taking anti-biotics that killed the 'good bacteria', then various viral infections, poor diet, training and a lot of stress in my life (house move, new job) meant I never got the good bacteria going again and Candida took hold.

Ooh, sounds unpleasant - wishing you a speedy recovery buddy!
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • sean504
    sean504 Posts: 1
    Hi Blonde

Im not sure if you will get this after so much time has passed but how did this work out for you as I have exactly the same problem right now!! I would be interested to see how you fared and how your recovery has been in general.. Im finding long rides are setting me back quite a lot in terms of recurrent symptoms.... Which as I am sure you will appreciate is a real pain!!

Be nice to get some feedback if you ge this post

Sean ;0)